Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
PSO2 manages to strike a pretty incredible balance of feeling alien and compromised on both KBAM and controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

My take on KBM vs Controller is that there are barely not enough buttons on a controller to give weapon action its own button without sacrificing something else. This matters way less to classes with no weapon action (Force, Techer) and way more to classes that use it a lot (most classes with weapon actions to my understanding).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dabir posted:

Phantasy Star Online was, yes. PSO2 was a PC game first.

A PC game designed in mind with a controller from the start because they knew getting Japanese players to check out a PC game would be tough, and had a Vita release six months after coming out of beta meaning it was considered WELL in advance, yes.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Here's hoping that this Luster 'Smart PA' technology that considers the range of a target before firing off a PA is a part of NGS' technology, because a LOT of real estate for a character's interface is taken up with 'I need this at this range and this at THAT range.. but I need this when I'm dealing with multiple targets.. this is no good against bosses...' etc etc.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

Rynoto posted:

You can only get eggs while playing as Summoner and they're incredibly rare. Yes it's dumb.

Oh, that is dumb. Like you still get weapons and discs even if it's for a different class, so it should be sensible for Eggs to be similar but I guess I'm wrong.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's probably a reaction to people complaining in JP about useless egg drops on non-summoner classes. The issue is that you can use 10 star and up weapons as excubes, but there's not a whole lot of useful things you can use 10 star and such eggs for. There's also the issue of 7-9 star eggs being absurdly high drop rates and pushing out lower rarity units from the drop pools, which is a bit annoying when you're trying to farm for unit augments.

Basically what I'm saying is that as someone who does not intent to ever use pets I actually don't mind the change much. Not a perfect one though of course.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I've been playing through the story on my main, who just hit 71, and got to Hi'Roga earlier. I did not realize that this would firmly put me into SH difficulty on hardcore. I knew hardcore scaled, but it didn't even occur to me how high of a level I am now and that I'd be scaling up that far.

... after getting demolished, I went back and beat him with my lv. 30 alt. I want that title and those sweet SG, drat it. Really glad I can swap between the two characters because forget trying this with everything scaled up to SH.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Be warned a few end quests at ep3 don't scale and are locked at lv80.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

MR. J posted:

Be warned a few end quests at ep3 don't scale and are locked at lv80.

Yeah, I was reading that. That should be amusing. :v:

I've also been trying to get better lately, especially the Deus Esca fight. That fight kicks my rear end, I've been terrible at it. I rarely die, but he beats the stuffing out of me and I don't really contribute much. After reading up on his patterns, and putting more thought into my abilities, I've started doing a lot better. Learning how to time my iframes from Strike Bomber to avoid his sweeping thorns / sword, learning the pattern when he has his weak point down near the ground in the latter part of the fight and adapting my attacks to having shorter windows of opportunity / having it move around, etc. The last fight I had with him went way better.

Still do it on VH though, because I don't think I've ever been in a group that was able to win against him on SH. The few SH fights I've been in, the group just didn't have the DPS to take him out in time.

Trying to work on getting better at taking out the serpent heads. That part I'm still really clumsy at.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SH is unfortunately a land of shitters who never upgrade their gear and it shows.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I have no idea where you're finding people who can't do the normal 12-person deus esca on SH. 4-person you sometimes run into comically bad players with zero survivability/awareness but I've never found 12 to be a problem.

It's a pretty decent fight, yeah. Wish the 12-person version started where the 4-person one does though - just always feels like a bunch of padding at the beginning.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Code Jockey posted:

I've been playing through the story on my main, who just hit 71, and got to Hi'Roga earlier. I did not realize that this would firmly put me into SH difficulty on hardcore. I knew hardcore scaled, but it didn't even occur to me how high of a level I am now and that I'd be scaling up that far.

... after getting demolished, I went back and beat him with my lv. 30 alt. I want that title and those sweet SG, drat it. Really glad I can swap between the two characters because forget trying this with everything scaled up to SH.

You can also go back with a different class on your main and a strong all-class weapon if you want to wreck some faces. Works best if your main class isn't completely gimped as a subclass (I did a lot of the story with a level 75 Hunter sub, an all-class hunter weapon, and whatever random class I was leveling at the time).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Do you get anything for doing the story fights on Hardcore?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Do you get anything for doing the story fights on Hardcore?

S-ranking a story quests on Hardcore get you titles that have star gem rewards, so it's generally worth doing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Saagonsa posted:

S-ranking a story quests on Hardcore get you titles that have star gem rewards, so it's generally worth doing.

Well good thing the only one I've done so far is that very first one where you fight masked guy

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It's a pretty significant amount of star gems, iirc. Also isn't too hard if you just do them at 80 with your main.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Saagonsa posted:

It's probably a reaction to people complaining in JP about useless egg drops on non-summoner classes. The issue is that you can use 10 star and up weapons as excubes, but there's not a whole lot of useful things you can use 10 star and such eggs for. There's also the issue of 7-9 star eggs being absurdly high drop rates and pushing out lower rarity units from the drop pools, which is a bit annoying when you're trying to farm for unit augments.

Basically what I'm saying is that as someone who does not intent to ever use pets I actually don't mind the change much. Not a perfect one though of course.

You can do those item board or w/e they're called to get eggs as a non-summoner too, can't you? So you can play something else, get an egg or two, then swap to summoner and have a pet ready to go.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Those eggs are perfect stopgaps, yeah. They're also, unfortunately, lightning element and mostly have the undesirable and lesser versions of their traits. So if you want to minmax you're going to be doing a whole bunch of farming because 13* & 14* eggs aren't tradeable. Rappy eggs are also not part of those orders.

Episode 4 has (iirc) 3 light element, better trait eggs as rewards including Wanda which is very strong.

E: And I should make sure to plug this guide because it's incredibly good and helped make sense of a lot of the inscrutable summoner specific stuff: https://airohhhhh.github.io/

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 19, 2020

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rynoto posted:

I have no idea where you're finding people who can't do the normal 12-person deus esca on SH. 4-person you sometimes run into comically bad players with zero survivability/awareness but I've never found 12 to be a problem.

It's a pretty decent fight, yeah. Wish the 12-person version started where the 4-person one does though - just always feels like a bunch of padding at the beginning.

I am just that lucky, I guess. v:shobon:v And yeah, I kind of agree about the padding part, it's kind of boring the thousandth time you do it. For some reason though, I find Yamato's lead-up less boring, probably because you're doing more fighting and less Naruto-running?

Nemo2342 posted:

You can also go back with a different class on your main and a strong all-class weapon if you want to wreck some faces. Works best if your main class isn't completely gimped as a subclass (I did a lot of the story with a level 75 Hunter sub, an all-class hunter weapon, and whatever random class I was leveling at the time).

poo poo of course why didn't I think of that :doh:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I remember playing this on Dreamcast and loving it... But I watched some review and they mentioned to hold off on playing till the 2021 update. Is that still the case?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

fyallm posted:

I remember playing this on Dreamcast and loving it... But I watched some review and they mentioned to hold off on playing till the 2021 update. Is that still the case?

They're talking about New Genesis, which is..well a 'sequel' to PSO2 which will be inside the existing client and you transfer between the two games (some stuff carries across) by changing blocks (which you might remember from playing the original online). PSO2 itself isn't going anywhere and with some things carrying over you're not 'wasting time' as such.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're talking about New Genesis, which is..well a 'sequel' to PSO2 which will be inside the existing client and you transfer between the two games (some stuff carries across) by changing blocks (which you might remember from playing the original online). PSO2 itself isn't going anywhere and with some things carrying over you're not 'wasting time' as such.

Oh yeah, New Genesis! And I was in like highschool and watched my friend play it cause I didn't have a dreamcast so I don't remember much except it looked fun and the little guys who fly over your shoulder were cool. So I saw it just dropped on steam,. but you are saying it actually has been out for quite some time? Is it been so far out if I start now I will be so behind? Will New Genesis be a separate game? Or just like another world?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

PSO2 itself has been out in Japan since 2012-ish and there was (is, actually) a good amount of English players on the JP client thanks to a good translation patch over the years. The proper global, English client only came out this year and is currently rapid firing through all the old content in order to get us caught up to the JP side before New Genesis comes out. NGS will be a..separate yet not, so yeah more like another world.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

fyallm posted:

No way. Play now. Cosmetics, emotes, etc. will be usable in NG. You don't wanna be the only fool who can't break dance or dress up like a crab, do you?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

fyallm posted:

Oh yeah, New Genesis! And I was in like highschool and watched my friend play it cause I didn't have a dreamcast so I don't remember much except it looked fun and the little guys who fly over your shoulder were cool. So I saw it just dropped on steam,. but you are saying it actually has been out for quite some time? Is it been so far out if I start now I will be so behind? Will New Genesis be a separate game? Or just like another world?

You missed out on a few things!

Phantasy Star Universe replaced the original PSO and PSO2 replaced Phantasy Star Universe after that.

Right now the North American version of the game is being rapidly caught up with the Japanese version of the game. We've gotten about 6 years of content in the past 6 months and we're getting another 2 years of content in the next 3. By first quarter 2021 NA and JP will be all caught up.

After that both NA and JP PSO2 will get a massive expansion that is basically 'Episode 7' of PSO2, entitled 'New Genesis' that is giving them a new, open field area and a big graphic engine overhaul. The open field area area will probably become the jumping off point for future game content going forward, but it's all still PSO2.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fyallm posted:

I just started like a month-ish ago and it rules and you definitely should be playing it! God this game is a lot of fun.

Stupid question: So there's currently a limited time +100% boost to EXP and rare drop rate for Deus Esca. This would stack with, say, a triboost and a drink that boosts rare drop rate, right? I had a successful SH run earlier today (due, of course, to how much better I am at Braver-ing :smug:) so I'm thinking about next time it pops, going all in on boosts. I can never remember how things stack / what does and doesn't.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It stacks yeah

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kirbysuperstar posted:

It stacks yeah

Thank you!

also the story dialog is incredibly dorky and incredibly anime and I love it

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Most boosters in this game stack additively and not multiplicatively though, so it's not as insane as it seems.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Code Jockey posted:

Thank you!

also the story dialog is incredibly dorky and incredibly anime and I love it

Maybe I'm weird, but I just really love that point in the Deus Esca fight where he attacks the Moon and Xiera sounds like she's about to lose it, only to suddenly switch over to going all "yeah, kick his rear end!"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Xiera's voice actor owns (I'm pretty sure it's Karen Strassman).

It's begun! Fight hard!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Nemo2342 posted:

Maybe I'm weird, but I just really love that point in the Deus Esca fight where he attacks the Moon and Xiera sounds like she's about to lose it, only to suddenly switch over to going all "yeah, kick his rear end!"

Yeah that rules

Speaking of voices, I'm amused at how one of the ways this game shows its age (or perhaps that lip sync was never updated for NA dialog?) is that the lips on models just keep going well after the dialog finishes, lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The secret is that the lip flaps don't match JP either, the engine doesn't reaaaally support them and instead just does a lip flap animation with no real end.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah that rules

Speaking of voices, I'm amused at how one of the ways this game shows its age (or perhaps that lip sync was never updated for NA dialog?) is that the lips on models just keep going well after the dialog finishes, lol

The one that always gets to me is how some of the shop NPCs do a lip flap, but others are just stone faced.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Did my first Advanced Quest and discovered I'm actually kind of bad at this game!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Blockhouse posted:

Did my first Advanced Quest and discovered I'm actually kind of bad at this game!

Pretty much how I felt when I tried my first Ultimate Quest and found it was aptly named.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
:toot: The screenshot is garbage but finally a sub 12minute solo PD.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Is it wrong to be somewhat bitter on losing Deus Esca Gracia due to the death limit? Cause that happened to me recently, twice.

First team was alright but the second one wasn't really good, especially since two members ended up dying to the big easily avoidable attack that splits the arena in half. Like I'm not gonna lie, it's expected if it's their first fight with Deus Esca like the first time I fought him but only on the normal one, you'd have to beat the normal one to unlock Gracia meaning that they knew about the move.

I might be bitter because of that and the fact that I wasted a 250% Rare Drop item on the second try. I did get two of Deus Esca's units which is nice.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Round two failures will just happen sometimes, I've had to try again when running it even if I have a crew that I know. If you're at the 80/80 stage of the game cubes are pretty much rained upon you so losing some 250 time isn't that huge of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Considering the system we have with the mission pass and all, it's super easy to just run a permanent xp75 rdr250 tri100*, since gold mission pass pays for itself. Otherwise, you get so many tri50s you'll never run out.

*So long as you aren't, like, keeping them running while doing trash quests or whatnot.