Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay I'm all in on this. Going to play a RAmarl with the PC release.

Wait what do you mean that doesn't exist?

Now what the hell do I do if all my knowledge comes from half remembered PSO1 from more than 15 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Ardeem posted:

Be the target demographic for the version of the game that lets you pay money to wear PSO1 outfits?

Are any of the youtubers doing content on this game either not full of lies and misinformation or at least good about corrections?

Oh goddamnit, there goes my money.

Okay in all seriousness, how do the classes compare for soloing? I'm looking at going for the Gunner because of dual submachine guns aesthetic. But if it's a bastard to solo as then I might reconsider.

Do any of the ranged physical damage dealers pair well with caster classes as a subclass?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Skeletome posted:

Anyone got experience buying AC from overseas? I'm an EU player and I finally want to drop money on this game lol

Buy a US Xbox gift card from g2a for however much you want. Redeem that gift card on the us MS store and use that to buy AC.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Don't give G2A money, they're outright thieves.

I am sorely meh on the morality of buying Microsoft Gift Cards. But if that concerns you buy it from Target using paypal.

Healbot posted:

You can't directly redeem gift cards that aren't from your region, your account needs a valid US address (optimally from a state with no VAT) and you have to redeem it while you try to purchase things in the store.

Oh yeah, you just go to any of the hundred helpful websites that give valid US addresses at that point.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Fairly sure you can shift click to select a range too but I might be mistaken. All my PSO2 muscle memory is controller (which is loving me up with the whole X/O thing but whatever).

I don't care about MS but they're a bunch of crooks who regularly gently caress over indies and small developers and I'd rather they didn't get funded at all, cheers.

Fair enough.

Dunno who you'd ethically buy these things from though. I'm pretty sure any of the big American chains you would paypal for these profit from sweatshop/slave labour.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Fabricated posted:

I am feeling really dumb since the guide I looked at says to get a Mag from the person next to the quest counter but I've talked to everyone I can see and don't see an option to get a Mag.

You need to fulfill a bunch of client missions for the NPC you started the game with. Once that's done the lady will have the mag quest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

explosivo posted:

Say I wanted to spend some money on this game on non cosmetic stuff because I'm a robot which means I don't get to play dressup. Is there like a starter pack or anything or is it just a la carte stuff like inventory expansions.

Get the Sonic theme thing that's on the MS store. It basically gives a bunch of dumb costumes but it also gives inventory expansions and premium for a discount iirc.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So I've been playing this a while.

There's a core of this game that I like but it's just utterly riddled with frustrations.

It's tremendously difficult to figure out what's an upgrade at a glance. You just pick up everything, dump it in storage and then comparing it against your gear becomes a complete nightmare. The piles of systems on top of each other are basically completely indecipherable even with help. Just the billions of different currencies I have with no concept of what their value is makes making informed decisions far too difficult. I've been trying to read all the good posts here about how you're meant to fuse weapons or select out upgrades but it's difficult to even figure out what applies to levelling characters and what doesn't, let alone how it might work at high level or how you should plan for it.

Coupled with this is the idea that I have no idea if I'm even doing anything half the time in fights. There are no health bars so I have no concept or baseline as to whether I'm actually doing something well or badly. So I have no idea if my gear needs an upgrade, if my gear is fine but I'm playing badly or if I'm just in an area that's too difficult for something my level. This has basically led to a world now where I just get oneshot by enemies or kill them, with no in between. Which basically removes any interesting attack/fade style design from the game.

In addition to this are the amazingly frustrating control problems. I play gunner and my entire boss dps rotation comes from selecting a part and nailing it with chain trigger 'tilI stack a full combo. The trouble is that bosses have thousands of different body parts that block your attacks, so you can chain trigger, fire at something and hit something else entirely. And then you have to deal with the lock on, which is possibly the stupidest thing in the entire game. I have no idea how this thing selects its targets. I try to point my joystick in the direction of the thing I'm targetting, no dice, it just targets another body part or a trash mob somewhere on the floor, meaning all this time that's meant to feel good and fun is spent just trying to wrestle the lock on onto the target I want to hit.

This is again, compounded by the camera issues the game has. As a gunner I'm meant to be airborne a lot but the camera just can't cope with that in a meaningful way, especially given that the camera also doubles as your lockon targetting mechanism. So half the time I'm sat with a camera facing absolutely nothing whilst my character fires shots to a place off camera on the ground.

When it finally does work and I build a combo, it feels like almost complete RNG as to whether my finisher will actually hit the target I'm aiming for and again, because there's no healthbar on anything, if I can't see the golden numbers show because the camera's off in a corner somewhere I have no idea what's gone on.

Broadly I'm unsure if I'm going to keep playing like this. I want to believe it gets better in the endgame when you've got gear to fix things but levelling is absolutely glacial now that I'm 50, so I'm tempted to just get off the train here.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 3, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Scoss posted:

I have no idea how to play gunner, but gear is not that complex, at least when you're just leveling up.

You do not pick up everything. Past the first few dozen levels you don't look at anything less than 7*. If you're not planning on messing around with trying out the other classes in then near future, you can also mostly ignore anything that isn't one of your direct class weapons or relevant mag fodder.

For weapons, you tell what's an upgrade by whether the relevant attack number is bigger than the one you're wearing. Typically higher star rarity means it's a higher tier of gear and will have better stats. Wear the strongest gear that your stats will allow. Completely ignore changing anything about affixes. Smoosh spare weapons into the one you're using to enhance it to +10 and call it a day.

Units are basically the same. Use the ones with the highest defense numbers, smash grinders into them until they're +10.

I'm playing a Hunter, granted, but getting regularly oneshot by basic enemies seems to me like you're doing something super wrong.

To this I say.

You can use grinders on armour?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'd just kill for Chain trigger to just apply to a boss instead of an individual weak point.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Why do Long Twintails cost 20 million Meseta and how on earth do I get that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Ardeem posted:

Are you going to be online tonight? I can pull one of these out of my shop.

Thanks so much for the offer. I've already got the Hatsune Miku ones, but the long pigtails are the look I really want.