Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I have to say I'm puzzled by this announcement

Same. I saw the announcement and I was like "...why?". But then I remembered that I actually know a few people personally who might be interested who didnt burn themselves out on the japanese version ages ago.

So I guess maybe I'll try the US version? Maybe? :confused:

Edit: also switch version or fuggoff :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Yeah, I meant after all this time. The prior thread was enititled 'the fantasy of a western release', and its the one I clicked through on my UP to get here so I can register my astonishment that it actually is happening, and that I'm not stroking out.

I was 100% it would never happen, but here we are

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm probably gonna give it another go. I had a lot of fun with PSO2 off and on for a few years, but I'll probably start over again on the US servers. I hope the open beta includes the PC as well as the Xbox. It's kind of like anime diablo and I'm way into that compared to an actual mmo.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Hyper Inferno posted:

If the closed beta only lasts for like a day and progress is carrying over, then does that mean the actual release won't be too far off?

That's my read. I'd imagine they'll move on to an open beta (with PC crossplay?) not too much later.

I wonder how much freedom they have to make changes based on feedback? I guess a lot of the cross-promotion stuff from the japanese version is toast but if they're supporting it enough to give it full english VA than maybe they can do other stuff while the hoods up. I'd like to see the quest/client order system streamlined. I'm sure loads has changed in progression since the last time I played around the time Episode 5 came out, so that might be an outdated complaint.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
A few years ago I bought an AC scratcher and got a pair of socks that I sold for nearly 30 million meseta. It took like 15 minutes, some people are just really into socks I guess

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I dunno if it's been mentioned yet and I don't have a link on hand, but aparently its confirmed that the PC version is going to be distributed on Steam. Great news, probably means a better player base in addition to just being able to use the Steam friendlist.

edit: https://www.mmorpg.com/phantasy-star-online-2/news/phantasy-star-online-2-heading-to-steam-according-to-online-manual-1000055259

It came from an online manual that can't be accessed anymore: https://dev.pso2.com/manual/game

Long story short is that it confirmed that the PC version is gonna be on Steam- which I'm pretty sure wasn't actually announced yet.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 5, 2020

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Ah, I see. Steam still seems likely, this being a Sega/Microsoft thing

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
A Halo colab would be pretty cool. They could do spartan armor, assault rifle/plasma rifle skins, and a cortana costume that's always a bazillion meseta in the player shops. Assuming they do anything unique at all, of course.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It wouldn't be too hard to remake my jp character since cast parts are pretty much all gonna make the transition. The hair's from some anime I've never seen so I don't know about that, but I'm sure I won't have any trouble finding something that makes the most of the silly hair physics. :v: Still gonna roll a cast again at any rate.

Is the phantom successor class any good? I always liked how Katana Braver and forces played so that weapon spread looks like it's right up my alley.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I was watching somebody stream the beta on twitch this morning and had a good laugh watching him try to figure out how to do stuff like code collect. :allears: took me forever to realize you just have to mash while its glowing.

Edit: and yeah the dub seems solid. I guess ill have to actually pay attention to the story this time

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Blorknorg posted:

I enjoyed the Japanese version but I ended up just missing the designated SA server and sort of felt like an intruder so I stopped. Probably the hardest barrier to entry is being able to read and enter Japanese text into a captcha for your account creation. I'm really hoping the open PC beta is soon, I will absolutely pay for poo poo in the game as long as it's a decent value.

I actually paid for stuff a couple times in the Japanese version. :blush: There's a phone app for the Japanese version that you can link to your main account, and from that you can buy the premium currency without having to use a japanese credit card. You even get favorable conversion rates if the dollar (or whatever) is strong against the yen.

edit: also yeah same. I played off and on for years and liked it most of the time, but ultimately I just really wanted US servers

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 10, 2020

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

NextTime000 posted:

the FAQ on the NA website says we should have 3 free character slots; which is the same as the JP server. You typically do want to have all three character slots in use because whenever there's an update that adjusts Photon Arts or Class Skills, they always issue out a free all-tree reset passes for each of your characters, no matter what level they are.

I'd say you'd want to have a character that uses a 200 of one single atk/pwr stat if you feel particularly drawn to one of the first six classes: hunter or fighter for S-atk/MEL, Ranger or gunner for R-atk/RNG, or force for T-atk/TEC, with Techter being sort-of able to go with either a T-atk/TEC or S-atk/MEL mag early on. Thanks to Summoner having the "switch strike" and "switch shoot" skills, it can use any mag

If you're drawn to Braver or Bouncer, go all-in on DEX basically.

Once Hero, Phantom, and Etoile are available, a few more options are opened.

Hero and Etoile both take the highest atk/pwr stat on your mag and apply it to all three atk/pwr stats. While Hero cannot be used as a subclass, Etoile can; though so far it seems like the only classes that really want to consider Etoile sub are Hunter and Ranger, I'll say why later though. This does mean that if you have a T-atk/TEC mag or a R-atk/RNG mag, you can just go play Hu/Et and your mag would work perfectly fine; same for Ra/Et and S-atk/MEL and T-atk/TEC mags.

While Braver and Bouncer use skills that take a mag's DEX and apply it to both atk/pwr stats those classes can use, Phantom applies DEX to all three atk/pwr stats! Mag skills stack, so for Br/Ph and Bo/Ph, a 200 DEX mag gives them 400 atk/pwr for both of the stats they use! Also, Phantom's damage skills are pretty universally applicable to pretty much every class, so basically all of those classes can wind up using a dex mag too.

Once Etoile and Phantom are unlocked, you can use them as a subclass for nearly every class. Braver and Bouncer synergize too well with Phantom sub to really even consider Etoile sub; and Etoile's Damage Balancer skill nullifies most sources of healing outside of consumable items, so that can cause hiccups for Force, Techter, Summoner, and to some extent, Fighter. Meanwhile, There's a left-hand ring for Gunner that boosts damage while using a "Stance" skill, which has had the effect of making hunter or fighter sub just stronger enough that you'd wanna just stick to those still. Finally, like half of Force's skills are still on the Techter tree for some dumb reason, so while Fo/Ph might seem cool, you'd still would rather stick to Fo/Te; if you don't just jump over to playing rod-only Phantom anyway. oh right and Etoile sub has some weird incompatibilities with Technique and Pet damage too.

at least, this is most of the reasoning behind the recommendations I have in the thread OP

oh right I forgot this was supposed to be about mags. well, I forget the point I was making, but you can probably draw some sort of conclusion yourself

Thank you for typing this out, I haven't really played since right around the time they added Hero and I wasn't sure about how the stats worked on them. If I'm reading this right phantom would be the way to go if you wanted to use techs as a cast, right?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

NextTime000 posted:

you could use force, phantom, or even techter as you main class to deal primarily technique damage; being a cast has very little to do with it, they might have slightly less base t-atk/tec, but it's practically unnoticeable at this point

Cool, it's good to know it doesn't matter too much. I like casts and I like forces, but it would bug me if it tanked my damage too hard. I'm going to have to max out a couple base classes for when the advance classes come out anyway so I guess I might as well.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Annath posted:

It's supposed to be seamless between Xbox and PC right? Same account, same characters?

Yeah, supposedly on the PC version you'll log in with the same XBOX/Microsoft ID.

I hope PC version drops with the full release, but it seems a bit weird to me that they'd go hot without testing crossplay (like with a beta, say), even if the PC version is a decade old and stable as gently caress.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

The OP says you can focus on a single weapon as Braver. I always like playing ranged classes, is there any reason to pick one over the other between Braver using bows vs a Ranger?

Most bows are gonna have a dex requirement, and braver has a skill that converts dex on a mag into both s-atk and r-atk damage types

It's been a long time since I've played on JP but I'm pretty sure my mag was an even split between dex/s-atk (mel-atk now?) for my katana braver. I'm probably just gonna go pure dex this time with an eye toward phantom down the road.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah the default number of detailed models being loaded is 30. That's way too much. 12 is where you want it.

This. Even at 30 it spends time loading them and you're gonna be looking at a lot of 'loading...' gray characters. Might as well just give up and scale it back.

Just a reminder- those equippable units that function as armor can be set to stealth mode if all the weird floating techno baubles are messing up your sense of style. Some of them can look okay, but ya know

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Phoix posted:

I can't get over how bad the lobby performance is. I was in active lobbies in the JP version and it was never this bad for me.

Yeah, I wonder why that is. Even turning down player model count doesn't effect it as much as I'd like. I just don't think they're prepared for the kind of demand they're getting

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Lucked out on the scratchers that come along with the sonic colab thing and drew a miku outfit along with a bunch of other less exciting things. Once it all finishes selling Miku Hair might actually be within my grasp.

Wow. Just imagine. Me, with Miku hair. wow

Edit: pretty sure it was going forth north of 20mil on jp last i bothered to check

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I think the PD shop is on the second floor of the shopping area, along with a bunch of other specialty stuff.

Btw, gamepass ultimate is having a special for a dollar for the first month right now. If you sign up and download the win 10 gamepass app you can claim the pso2 rewards and cancel gamepass if you don't want it before the next billing period. The PSO2 perks include some xbox related cosmetics and a bunch of premium stuff, including a bunch of scratchers which will if nothing else will probably give you a bunch of stuff that you can sell for a lot on the player shops.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

This doesn't work with regular Game Pass btw, because for some reason it's not on there and only accessible through the microsoft store.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just Ultimate. I only figured out this much because a friend of mine said it would work and I tried it without doing any research. It did work for me though, I got the stuff

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bardeh posted:

I'm trying my best to like this game, but it's SO loving confusing. The menus are terrible, I can't tell how the gently caress skills work, how I equip new poo poo, how I can see what to equip.

If you're talking about learning skills, you do that at the class counter in the lobby. If you mean equipping them, some of them are passives, others are active and you have to manually assign them to your toolbar. For example, on braver the dex up skill is a passive, katana combat is is triggered and finished by whatever button you assign it to. You can equip skills/pas under the same set of menus that you use for equipping weapons/armor units.

The UI is christawful, yeah. Can't do anything without navigating at least 2 menus.

edit: Try doing an expedition quest at the counter, then navigate over to the globe icon on your menu and go down to client orders. After starting a quest at the counter, there should be an option there to accept all relevant client orders associated with that quest. You still have to run around to all the clients to turn them in afterward (they'll have an unmissable green icon over their head) but it at least streamlines the process of getting them in the first place.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 30, 2020

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

When you get to a tier, you get the items associated with it. Buying a tier just makes you advance a tier automatically. You just need mission pass gold in order to get the gold section of items.

Thanks, I wasn't clear on this either. I want those Alvida bits.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

Well the game now shows up in the Xbox app. Didn't expect it to, but now it does with a wopping 1.8/5 score from 895 reviews.
As you all expect, the way this game either refuses to work or uninstalls itself after working fine has tipped the scales to massively negative feedback.

Ship 3 is starting to feel fairly empty, but I'm also playing on off hours usually.

Guess they shoulda done a pc beta afterall. Its been getting bombed on the microsoft store since day one over installation issues/lobby lag.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

They're different games with extremely different combat pacing and focuses

On paper, monster hunter seems like it would be right up my alley. In practice, I don't like that the game is focused entirely around boss fights that you need to do over and over to advance, and need to always have company to make any headway.

I mean you still have to grind poo poo out in PSO2, but It just feels unabashedly 'gamey' to me in a way thats hard to pin down and that I like a lot.

Edit: everything is so deliberate in monster hunter, sometimes I just want to drop in and gently caress up some trash mobs without needing to coordinate anything.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 31, 2020

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Imagined posted:

Awesome, you guys keep rebutting the "this game is like monster hunter" argument I wasn't making, but rather was anticipating someone else making because a) I referred to it as an MMO and b) I saw this game's fans compare it to Monster Hunter (as opposed to an MMO) earlier in the thread.

I think you're reading too much into it, nobody is salty. Theres comparisons to make to Diablo etc too, but PSO2 only shares things in common with these games. I wouldnt call it an mh like or a Diablo like. :shobon:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Numberwang!!! posted:

Anyone know how to get Naverius Rock? I know it's part of a quest reward but can you find it out in the wild?

Mining in Forest and Tundra, the areas on Naverius. Come to think of it, I haven't done any gathering at all yet, I haven't really had enough time to sit down and really reacquaint myself with things yet

edit: beat, also I forgot Ruins

edit: actually thats bullshit, I have had time, I've just spent a lot of it poking through the player shops looking for dealz :blush:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 1, 2020

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Quadtails. Pushing the boundaries of anime robot technology

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Annath posted:

I've kind of just been randomly doing poo poo and making levels go up.

This is basically how I play. There's a lot of poo poo to remember, but aside from your mag you can't really mess up too bad aside from assigning skills, but skill tree cards will pop up from time to time so whatever.

Definitely ID stuff and either feed it to your mag (if it gives you the right stats) or sell it. If you pick up a shop pass (you'll get them from fun scratchers from time to time) you can throw any you have saved up on there and people will buy them for mag food

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Annath posted:

Don't you have to buy premium to sell stuff?

Nope, you can get shop passes from fun scratchers. Just hold on to them until you get one.

Edit: shop passes last for three days, during that time you can put stuff up, take it down, and adjust the price any way you want. When the 3 days is up, your shop keeps selling your stuff and you can keep claiming the profit.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 1, 2020

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
E4's whole premise is just terrible, but the content is good. Tokyo and Las Vegas are fun areas to play and battleship yamato is an awesome boss fight

Edit: just remembered one of the vegas trash mobs is an animated gun store sign :shepface:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 2, 2020

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It really is surprising that they put as much work into the va as they did. It's pretty good as far as that goes, but its still confusing and tucked out of the way besides.

I can confirm that the anime is probably your best bet for getting a grip on the story. I've see like half of it, and now I actually have a decent idea of whats going on in e1. It's also on Hulu, for the record

Edit: the other PSO2 anime though, oh man. Literally just a long-form ad for the game, its cute how trashy it is

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 7, 2020

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Been having fun with new cosmetics:

Sadly the Eggman mask doesn't mesh well when actually moving, so I had to remove it.

The roboboobs on the other hand :discourse:
ffff, I just made a Metal Sonic ranger the other day using a mask, guess I know who my Aux is gonna be

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I got my Yamigarasu up to +30, but now I'm trying to figure out if taking it the rest of the way to 35 would be worth it, or even just throwing a couple more yamis at it to get it up to 60 element. I guess I'll probably be using it for a while, especially since it's an all-class weapon.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Element is almost always worth it

Thanks, thats what my friend said. Think im gonna pull the trigger on it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

NextTime000 posted:

attacks from a weapon gain bonus atk/pwr based on their elemental %, and only the stats gained this way are treated as that element.

the basic form of the damage formula is like: ((player pwr + weapon pwr - enemy def) + (weapon pwr * element%)) * all of your damage modifiers, from attack modifiers to class skills to weapon potential and so on

only that part of weapon pwr that is multiplied by the elemental percentage will be effected by elemental weaknesses.

Techniques on the other hand; are pure elemental damage. Outside of the Elemental Conversion skill on the force tree, they do not actually benefit from weapon element %. As a result of not gaining the bonus atk that way, techs also see bigger effects from having raw atk boosts through augments and that Technique High Up skill on the force tree.

effectively it boils down to: Having max element % is the 2nd most important part of upgrading your weapon, it's 2nd only to the main + grind if only because it directly scales on that. even if it's not the "right" element, it will still boost your damage significantly

Thanks for the breakdown, I wasn't sure exactly how elemental damage was applied. So yeah, 60 light seems pretty useful.

edit: Was gonna go do this real quick, but after clicking start game the process just sorta died. I restarted the launcher and OH HEY gotta download the whole game again. :doh: whatever, I've been pretty lucky with this diva rear end launcher so far

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 11, 2020

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Also it would get a lot more exposure on steam. The windows store is something I only poke at with a stick when I absolutely have to, and that's pretty much true of everyone I know as well.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Scoss posted:

When Steam was in its infancy, the only problems I remember were progress bars getting stuck and unreliable network service. I've been using it since CS 1.6 and never seen a working game break itself, or seen Steam overstep the bounds of what you expect the software to do.

The Microsoft Store, by contrast, is the closest I have ever seen a game or other "legitimate" Microsoft product behave like honest to god malware. Against all odds, they managed to create an experience even worse than GFW live. After having PSO2 break itself twice, and having to hunt down 150GB (600 thousand files) of hidden, permission-locked backup copies of the game, I will never spend a penny in the MS store, and I've become hostile to their entire vision for how software delivery and management ought to work. It's incomparable to even Steam's clumsiest missteps, IMO.

I had a free antivirus flag the exe as malware yesterday, and thats probably what made me have to reinstall the day before. So yeah, that scans.

Yeah I know, I deleted the antivirus now. I've meant to for a while but it usually doesn't rise past the level of occasional annoyance so until now I havent bothered.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Apparently the e4 update trailer made a brief mention about how it's coming to 'other pc platforms' soon, and I doubt they're talking sbout origin.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
You're gonna need to get two classes up to max level to use the successor classes too, you won't be able to just drop in on e5 and play hero first thing.

I'm really looking forward to e5, It's basically all new to me, and I'm still spotty on some e4 stuff as well. It's convenient that they're starting the content drip more or less around the same time I checked out on JP :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Axel Serenity posted:

holy poo poo :aaaaa:

Take it a step further and flick the last digit down by one and you can reverse price-is-right everyone on the ship :shepface: