Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I always wanted this to come to USA, but that was like 5? 7? years ago? I'm genuinely curious about why anyone would choose to port this so late in the game's life cycle? Is this really going to be able to compete with games like Warframe etc? Is Sega capable of providing the content updates to the English version at a steady clip? Everything about this is just so strange. I lovvvvveeeedd PSO, played original, played a bunch in JP and ENG on the PSP/Vita, but I'm skeptical this game holds up compared to modern offerings now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Talkc posted:

This game 7 years ago and this game now, and arguments to be made about this series in general, blows the poo poo out of most of its contemporaries by picking any game in the series.

Phantasy Star is good poo poo. Not a lot of good 3rd person action rpgs with a non generic tolkein aesthetic, especially ones that in recent years didnt hop wholeheartedly into the looter shooter wagon.

Honestly the entire time Phantasy Star Online's been around its basically been the main thing to fill that niche.

I'm not sure I really agree about present day. 5-10 years, yes, there was absolutely nothing like PSO. I couldn't scratch that itch with anything. The closes you got were Diablo style ARPGs. PSO kept getting "faster", it stopped being slow and clunky AF (which was adorable 10 years ago). Everything got more actiony and fast paces. As it did, the difference between PSO, Monster Hunter clones, and looter shooters began to evaporate. I think moving it to Azure is all good and helps cut down costs, but isn't the majority of cost going to be in ongoing content development and translation? The Asian business models rarely work here unless they are phone games. Monster Hunter Frontier's business model was next level cancer of P2W. If they had ported it to English with the same business model it would have bombed hard. This game is already long in the tooth as well. I really want to be optimistic, but with every game wanting to be a live service now they all compete for the same time and mind share. Basically, this is a lament about why this didn't happen 5 years ago.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

What ship/server are we on?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Finally after tons of Naverius grinding, it finally happened!

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

is there a certain katana i should be aiming for around level 45-50, or do i just keep running the VHAQ loop and praying? not complaining either way, the game finally feels like the right difficulty now.

if you tell me i have to farm that area with the conveyor belts and all the traps i'll scream though

No, just level up. There is nothing super amazing in VHAQ or SHAQ. The best weapons are now in Ultimate, which is level 70+.