Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i would also highly recommend doing Jan’s quests because they’re all tutorial things like explaining how to improve your weapons or what those little status bonuses on your weapons are and how to transfer them.

he’s an old dude in the shopping area, near the concert area/stage.

pressing N to bring up a area map to find a specific npc is super helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

late episode one spoilers i guess but i'm really confused where i was teleported to some falzspawn city with the green hair elf girl who needs a haircut. she starts talking about apparently clones of the npcs running around but that had literally never come up beforehand in any of the cutscenes before. as far as i can tell, they never bring it up again but i'm at the tournament part.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

well i finished episode 1 and while i get the gist of it, it sure feels like i'm missing a lot of the context. the whole talk about rampaging dragons and inhumane laboratory tests don't really have an impact because i have no idea where the information is coming from. i guess it made sense when it was all on the matterboard and i guess you poked around places that looked like a lab to trigger these scenes, but now it just feels very disjointed. i also guess that we're supposed to feel sad for quna and haddred but i just had a lot of questions. like, if they apparently had a sibling like relationship, how did that even work? what was going on with the dragon in the end and why was the only option to put him down like old yeller?

tbh i'm enjoying the game, but now that all the story quests are all unlocked for me, i'm trying to blast through them and it gets really tedious.

episode 2 is a lot more interesting though. i'm still confused about some parts, but i hadn't expected my auxiliary guy to appear in the story quests. it makes me wish i'd been more serious about creating him though because i thought it was funny if he looked like link and i just threw him in the male vocaloid costume, and so when he showed up in a cutscene looking like a lost cosplayer, i absolutely lost it.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

InspectorCarbonara posted:

If anyone is actually interested in the story, there's a pretty good anime adaptation of episodes 1 to 3 on Funimation called Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode Oracle.
They cut some stuff out for time like the Dragonkin and Harkotan but they make the story work without them, and it does show some stuff that you don't see in the game like some of the backstory for Quna and Hadred.

this is the sort of content that i'm looking for, thank you.

the plot is extremely anime and i'm loving it. i also am almost finished up with episode 2 (i think) and it's a lot easier to follow along than episode 1 was. i honestly thought luther was going to be the climax of the chapter, but i didn't expect to go back in time and find out what happened to matoi, or the plot twist that i'm an antagonist too.

i do like the little touches, like realizing during the code abyss part, i had a target marker on me since i was the quest objective. ulku and theodor's storyline was also something i felt more invested in since it was something that actually felt built up.

some part i'm still confused about, like why the gently caress was that crab talking to me? or fully understanding how we brought mataoi almost with us to the present but she got dropped off in episode 1 instead of coming back with me and xiao. also, if xion is just a big planet full of water... why does she have a naked woman body that luther was being creepy over?

i'm definitely going to check out the pso2 anime though, since i'm now kind of invested in the plot and characters.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Ardeem posted:

Xion has a humanoid body because she found the Photoners facinating and wanted to understand them better, so she made herself as close to one as she could. As for Cabracan and Camelot, well, I'm pretty sure there's a crime involving genitic maniuplaton that VOID didn't commit, but damned if I can't think of one.

Saagonsa posted:

E: Also, specifically Xion's appearance is in the form of the first photoner she ever met

oh yeah, i got that part. what confuses me though is i was under the impression that the photoners died out/were reduced to xion's ocean like the end of evangelion a long time ago, so was that body just... hanging around in the ship's core? honestly i'm not sure why she kept a humanoid body around for so long unless it's because she had an attachment to it or it was helping her pilot or something. it just raises a lot of questions, like did she just hang out in that tube normally or did luther put her in there? it's not really that big of a issue, but it's enough to make me pause for a second to wonder why.

also you would think a sentient planet able to give herself a physical form would be able to also science up some clothes too.

e: why is this the post i snipe with

uhhhhh so for a actual question, did PSO2 launch with episode 1-3 or was each episode added over time?

Splash Attack fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 7, 2020

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Ardeem posted:

Do they re-explain How dragon reincarnation works and their views on physical bodies being disposable, or is that whole plot thread only for people who did the matterboards?

wait what

i don't think they even explained that in the game that i played, unless it's something that comes up in episode 3

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

orange juche posted:

I dunno, caricatures suck. I've seen more than enough advertising from Japan "all foreigners are lily white, have blond hair, and big noses, or are black, have red lips and look like Sambo (the racist caricature)" to kinda really not like cheap/lovely generalizations? (Yes I know it comes from living in a monoculture with no appreciable interactions with people who are not like you, still sucks)

I'm really wavering on whether I'm amused or not with this.

as a asian american i’ve seen so many cheap/lovely depictions of asian cultures (including mine) in american media that i am thoroughly enjoying the shoe being on the other foot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Scoss posted:

If any new Steam folks are rolling Ship 2, here's my referral code again if you want one: 10483168

You get a few little cosmetic things and some boosters I think for using it.

note that you have to use the referral code before even making your first character or you’ll be locked out of it forever.