Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Grimthwacker posted:

Phantasy Star Online was designed for a controller, so that's what I've been using for PSO2 and I haven't had much of a problem. Ranger plays all right from the "behind the shoulder" view and I've played a lot of console shooters. I like having all your options as the face buttons/right bumper and holding buttons works well with classes that involve charging attacks (so all the Technique classes). The only class that doesn't quite work for me is Braver, but that's only the bow since you need to charge for that and holding the X button while free aiming is no bueno. I just use auto target/lock on with that from normal behind-the-back view and if I need to aim at a certain body part, I just switch targets with the right stick.

Phantasy Star Online was, yes. PSO2 was a PC game first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you hold left click and alt+tab out, you'll keep firing without any input.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think people's concerns aren't so much about oversimplifying, they're about series identity. Timing your button presses has been a core part of combat going all the way back to PSO1. It wasn't in the original release of PSU, but that game sucked poo poo and they added it to melee weapons with the expansion anyway.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MR. J posted:

Last i recall any weapon fitting those talismans no longer exists in the global version so... v:v:v

They just added them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's right as the bubbles expanding around the swords pop. Also note that even if you get caught in it, you can mash movement to break out of the time stop.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

http://www.bumped.org/psublog/whats-new-in-pso2-new-genesis-character-creator/
Gender no longer a thing, race also no longer a thing I guess? You just choose from masculine fleshy, feminine fleshy, masculine mech and feminine mech body types.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

I will never forget the original PSO2 weapon grinding system where enhancing rare weapons had a chance to break your weapon. Also instead of hitting +30 to max out your potential you hit +10 (the max), unlock the potential, reset the enhancement, and then get +10 again to unlock higher level potentials.

No wonder they had the Dudu punching bag furniture.

clearly you have because weapon breaking wasn't a thing, you just had a chance to go down a level or two

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

When you talk to Xiao after the Day of Resurrection quest:

Only having hazy memories of just the attack from ten years ago makes way more sense, which is making me think it was a mistranslation. You'd think more people would make a big deal of not having any memories whatsoever of anything before the last decade.

Yeah I'm certain this is a translation mistake. The attack ten years ago was erased, that comes up multiple times, but it's pretty clear from just about every other interaction with anyone that they remember things from before that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The story I've heard is they contracted all the translation at a pretty low rate, and the people who cared about the series got to do the story.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We wanted it to be something-mech because they're named the same as the Lillipa mechs, just with the one extra kanji. I guess Prismechs would have worked. Of course Luminechs *doesn't* work that way in the official localisation because they didn't call the Lillipa mechs the same thing we did.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

So what's the deal with your Aether Arms?

"Mine is based on a sword from Japanese legend! It was given to Amaterasu and has the power to control the wind and clouds."

"Mine's a sword from Germanic myth, used to slay the dragon Fafnir and bring ruin to those who use it. It's so cool!"

"Mine's an AR-15."

Hitsugi loves myths and legends, Kohri loves Hitsugi so got really into her hobbies, Enga is boring and practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The unit descriptions are extremely generic already. Also, re: Luther/Loser:

"The head of the Void Institute, which is connected to the ARKS Research Division, he is the man who controls all of Oracle. He wanted to become one with Xion, with the ultimate goal of attaining omniscience. Though thought of as [Loser]'s host, in truth he was manipulating even the Dark Falz in his quest for omniscience. For a time, he had Xion within his clutches, but thanks to the protagonist's power and Xion's liquidation, in the end his ambitions came to nothing."

"For many years, a Dark Falz has been using Luther as a host in order to infiltrate ARKS. With the goal of obtaining omniscience, he attempted to merge with planet Xion. However, because it was strongly influenced by its host, it could be said that in one sense, it was merely being used by Luther."

(Translations mine and probably a bit wrong)