Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Patty and Tia, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

I've been giving this a shot again for the first time in a while (most of my play time was in 2013 and 2014) and have a few questions if anyone has some free time to answer. Thanks to a few 1 mil EXP tickets as I think title rewards, I'm 62 Gunner with a ~50 ranger subclass. Been using the second post as a general guideline.

I exchanged 15 stones of some sort to Zieg to get a 13* TMG, but shortly afterwards, I finished the front of the current bingo card and got a certificate to give Leontina for a 13* as well. The one from Leontina has slightly higher stats but I don't see any way to trade one in for a higher level weapon, so does that mean I should grind the one Zieg gave me and then exchange it for a 14* instead? Should I not worry about either of them and wait to grind a collection file weapon? Zieg also has other weapons that require other currencies and I don't really know what I'm supposed to be going for.

Is item identification useless at higher levels? I don't think I've seen anything higher than 9* but I keep getting all these unidentified weapon/egg drops and it's making inventory management a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Regarding inventory management, is there a shortcut to send items to basic or character storage? I've been clicking once and moving right to then click which storage to send to, but given the inventory cap of 50 and my gear takes up just over 40% of that, a good portion of my playing lately has been sending items to storage one-by-one.

I had tons of FUN and SG accumulated (given as mission or title rewards, usually) so I went ham on the scratch offs. Once I've redeemed a cosmetic twice and used it to apply to character and then account, what do I do with duplicates? Is there any way to send gender specific cosmetics to another character to be redeemed? My gunner is male and I have a handful of female only cosmetics, but I didn't want to redeem them to use on my support character if there's some way for another character on my account to use them. I believe I read somewhere that storage is shared among characters but don't have another one created to check.

The ray weapons from Leontina tickets are good baseline weapons until you can get yourself closer to the late game. If you do enough story you'll get a free Leotina B ticket that'll allow you to pick up a 14* that can last you until you're ready to gear up with endgame stuff.

If you hold shift while scrolling through your items it will select every time you scroll over, and allow you to send them to storage in batches.

All of your storage except for your character specific storage (labeled with a C icon when you're selecting what storage an item goes to) is shared between all characters on the same ship. There is no shared storage between different ships though.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Celebrity Ghost posted:

* How permanent is any stat stuff? If I start as a Braver and would leveling Force as the second class be a dumb idea because now my points/MAGs/whatever are distributed into physical stuff?

Mags are pretty much the only thing keeping you from playing all classes on a single character. You generally want your mag to be maxed out in a single attack stat (or alternatively dexterity if your class is braver, bouncer, or phantom). You do get 3 character slots though, so if you don't wanna shell out the $3 for a new mag on one of your characters you could always make one character for each attack type.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

What part(s) of the story do I need to complete for the Leontina B certificate?

I looked it up and I was actually wrong. You get it from main arks missions once you get the title for getting to lv75 on two different classes

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's so easy to get stuff that's passable equipment nowadays (and even fairly easy to get top-tier stuff compared to how it used to be) that I don't really think starting new would be too bad, even if you play in tandem or something

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I am confused, will it be for Xbox and PC or Xbox only?

Xbox and Windows 10

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The game came out 7 and a half years ago, yeah. I would say that it absolutely holds up compared to other Action MMOs out right now. Although yeah it all comes down to how Sega handles the release and how long they plan to support it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

Can't wait for this to hit PC.

Maybe this is a stupid question I don't know, but with this being a 5+ year old MMO how is all of that old content been handled? Does that mean there's 5+ years worth of content to dive into or have the updates to the game altered the existing/same content over time?

They mentioned on the official twitter that they were going to ease newer players into things, so likely it won't have absolutely everything at the start, but will probably have a relatively accelerated release.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

I got the heads up for the beta as well. Do you all already have a discord? If not I can get a channel set up on the goon one I regular

Yeah, the discord in the op (nolvac) has a channel dedicated to the NA version

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

4's EN population was mostly /vg/ posters, at least in my experience running on 4. Really 1 or 2 is probably best, in general.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm really liking the dub from what I've seen so far. Only issue I've really had with it is that every old man character is obviously voiced by some guys in their 30s trying to sound like old men.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

I've been watching people play the demo and got to mess with it a bit at a friend's house today, and I have a couple of questions.

The first is that I like the idea of doing a Ranger/Techter, because I want to be able to hand out buffs and debuffs, then shoot things in the face. I know this isn't super optimal (combining Techter with Force and Ranger with Gunner is probably better), but will my buffs and debuffs actually have any oomph behind them, or am I just completely wasting my time? I liked my PSU Guntecher and would like to do something similar.

The second is that I noticed you could bring along NPC allies, usually. Some of them were grayed out, which apparently means "someone else in this instance is already using this one." Is there any reason to not bring along an NPC crew if you can, assuming you aren't rolling with actual people?

Hunter is actually a better subclass for ranger than gunner is, funny enough. Ra/Te would be the worst of both worlds, sadly. Your buffs would be quite a bit weaker than a techer main's and your damage on ranger would be pretty badly reduced. Techter/Ranger with a techter usable rifle can actually work as a support combo, although yeah it isn't ideal in the grand scheme of things.

There's no downsides to bringing bots, no. They even give you a half-power party triboost. It's generally bad manners to bring them into things like ultimate quests, but that isn't really relevant at the moment.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Honestly I'm still kind of disappointed that the game seems to be dropping us in the middle of episode 3/4 or so in terms of content. In the beta there was a shop to turn in stuff for Elder weapons, literally right next to a shop to turn in stuff for Nox weapons. It feels weird that the game is going to launch in a state where half the content is basically useless, assuming they don't change it.

A lot of elder's stuff is based on the NT versions of the weapons, and things like elder rifle got buffed to 12* weapons. So they seem to definitely be rebalancing things to make ep1 content more relevant.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

Portable 2 was pretty fun. Lots of hackers though so I was always scared of guilt by association whenever I played online.

How viable is it to level every class on one character? You'd probably need multiple mags to switch between for ATP/ATA/MND or whatever their equivalent in this game is now.

Yeah, you'd need to buy at least 3 extra mags (one for each attack stat+one for dex) if you wanted to play each class as best as possible on one character. Outside of that though there isn't really anything holding you back from doing it, other than the grind of getting them all up to max.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Kevos Setzer posted:

Extra Mags still cost real money, or can they be sold in player markets?

Don't feel bad, though. Between at least one more character slot, extra storage, probably extra mags after I gently caress my first one up and so many scratch-off tickets, I'm going to spend so much money on this game.

Yeah, they most likely will still only be obtainable through real money

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Annath posted:

Hero can't be used AS a subclass, but can it still be used WITH a subclass?

My first/beta character is currently Br/Hu, going to be Br/Ph when available.

My 2nd, once able, will her Hero and whatever subclass it wants if possible.

My 3rd, I guess something that uses Techs? I like the concept of Phantom a lot, but same with Summoner and Etoile.

Hero cannot be used as a subclass, nor can it be used with one. Phantom and Etoile also cannot be used with a subclass, but they both can be used as one. All three of them are balanced around not needing a subclass for their full damage output, thankfully.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Stupid question especially since I can’t find it on the xbox website, but no way to pre-load open beta for Tuesday?

The update to the client for the open beta will drop on the 16th at 10AM PT according to the official twitter.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Dont have the closed beta client :( I saw the website mention the download is 75GB.

Ah, yeah, looking it up it seems like the client will be up for download at the same time the update goes out. So you'll have a day and a half to get that 75gb, unless this thing I'm reading is wrong

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Lemon King posted:

I got a loaner OG Xbox One, so I'll see how much of a potato it is this Tuesday. :smith:

Make sure to go into the settings and reduce the number of detailed character models that are displayed. For some ungodly reason the xbox version defaults to a the max of 50, which is not great even for high end PCs

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Weeks to months, really. They might release it at the end of open beta (unlikely) and they might wait until the very end of spring. We've had no word on delays yet.

I have been seeing some misinformation about the xbox version recently, however, so if anyone smarter than me can confirm: do you need xbox live gold or the gamepass to play this now? I've been seeing a lot of people on twitter and stuff saying you do. And the PSO2 twitter hasn't been correcting them.

You do need gold to play, for some reason, according to the official site

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ultrachrist posted:

I started playing this having not really heard of it (it came out in JP in 2012???) but saw an ad for it on the xbox dash and have fond memories of the dreamcast game.

Is there a good beginner's guide somewhere? Or at least some guidance on ways not to gently caress yourself over? I've been playing a braver and gravitating towards the bow, so I fed my mag towards ranged damage.

The basics of the game are obvious and fun but the systems surrounding it are not well explained thus far.

A dex mag works best on braver, so if you aren't super far along in your mag (lv40 or higher I'd say) I'd recommend switching to that. This guide uses some outdated/JP terminology in some places, and is mostly geared for the JP server when it starts talking about more endgame info, but it has a lot of good info for new players even on the NA version.

E: Also if you ever have any questions the people in the discord linked in the OP will almost certainly be able to help out

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: Did they nerf the time attack CO's? They only give like 5k not 50k.

Yeah, they nerfed those into the ground a while back, but introduced the arks missions system which gives a lot of meseta for its dailies and weeklies.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

Is Episode 4 available on the Xbox version? I just finished 3 and it won't let switch to 4. Sorry for the dumb question, I'm having a really hard time Googling things for this game for some reason.

EP3 is as far as it goes for right now in NA, yeah

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

So why did it takes years to get an english release anyway?

We'll probably never know the exact specifics, but most people think that it was just a completely abandoned project for years until it caught someone at Microsoft's eye, and so then they came along and said that they'd throw their money behind it. Which started the localization back up and here we are now.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Also, if you haven't, make sure to accept the rewards for the ARKS missions that you're clearing. A lot of the main missions give decent EXP early on.

E: Also talk to Lachesis if you haven't been, she has a bunch of rewards every time you do certain stuff, like a 15,000 exp ticket every time you clear a new exploration quest

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

If you're playing the game correctly (on a keyboard and mouse) you don't even get the option to walk!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Oh goddamnit, there goes my money.

Okay in all seriousness, how do the classes compare for soloing? I'm looking at going for the Gunner because of dual submachine guns aesthetic. But if it's a bastard to solo as then I might reconsider.

Do any of the ranged physical damage dealers pair well with caster classes as a subclass?

Subclassing is fairly strict in terms of what works well and what doesn't. Most every physical based class uses either hunter or fighter (hunter for a lot of survivability, fighter for more damage). Force is actually not very good as a subclass for anything, sadly. Mostly thanks to its lack of utility skills and damage mods for anything other than techs.

Also, as for soloing, you can solo most of the standard content (with some practice against bosses), but urgent quests range from extremely difficult to impossible to solo. Thankfully unless you're specifically locking yourself out of it the game will group you up with people for those. For gunner specifically, it's basically the best class in the game at fighting bosses, and while insisting it's best option for mobbing in NA, it's still decent at it, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem soloing stuff with that.

E:

Baggot posted:

Is there a good English wiki for this game? I checked the OP and saw the Japanese one, but that doesn't do me much good. :D

Here's the EN wiki for NA. It's kinda still being worked on so it doesn't have 100% of the info, but it's got a lot of the important stuff.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 22, 2020

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AweStriker posted:

This scans with what I’ve been reading, but is it really true that Force basically requires Techer as a subclass?

Techer gives a lot of bonuses that force really gets a lot of use out of, yeah. Having both bonus damage when hitting an enemies weakness along with the elemental damage boost skills for 3 of the 6 elements (wind, light, dark) is also huge.

There are other options, notably force/fighter or force/etoile once we get that in NA, that can specialize in one of force's three elements (lightning, normally, due to it being a quite strong and very efficient element). Although they're more situational.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Scoss posted:

I dabbled in the JP version many years ago, will check this out on PC.

Do you still need to pay real money in the NA version if you gently caress up your mag? I seem to recall them handing out class skill tree reset vouchers frequently enough to not worry about it, but the mag thing always bothered me.

You can now trade in a semi-common endgame currency for items that will level down a stat in your mag in order to fix fuckups. Completely redoing all of its stats like that would get very expensive, but it's good for fixing mild-moderate fuckups.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AweStriker posted:

But can you make, say, a character each on Ship 1 and Ship 2?

Yeah. You get three character slots for free and can distribute them however you like. However you won't be able to move any items between ships, so keep that in mind.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The only jobs unavailable to you right out of the gate are the Successor Classes which require base level 75 in any 2 classes first.

And also, for the record, are not in the game yet.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Republicans posted:

Client's up in the MS Store but I get an error when I try to download it. :shrug:

Yeah it's probably not gonna work until the stated time of 11pm PDT, about an hour from now

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Any tips on playing this with a controller? Excited to finally try this out after playing so much of PSO on GameCube.

Don't be afraid to remap some controls around. The defaults are mostly fine, but some of them can feel unintuitive to some

Also possibly have a keyboard around close for faster weapon switching, since that's one of the only things that keyboard really has over controller. That doesn't really matter until you get into more endgame stuff though.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

What do I want to feed my Mag if I'm going Fighter? It looks feeding it weapons increases S-Attack?

and is this a good way to allocate my skill points?? (I just kinda tried googling a build.)

You'll want to feed your mag striking weapons (sword, gunslash, knux, etc) up until your DEX support will level up, then you want to feed it either 4* rarity furniture, or monomates to lower the dex, and then keep feeding it striking weapons. Ideally it'll end up being 200 MEL support and 0 everything else.

Also I personally would say that deadline slayer is better than PP slayer, but that's a more marginal and personal preference thing. Otherwise that build looks good.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah the default number of detailed models being loaded is 30. That's way too much. 12 is where you want it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Countblanc posted:

i feel like i'm missing something obvious, how do you set this game to full screen?

Environment settings in the launcher, can set it to fullscreen or "virtual fullscreen" (borderless window)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Techter/Ranger is kind of a old pure support build from back when blight bullet (was weak bullet back in JP) gave a 255% damage increase instead of the 20% it gives now. The idea was to just keep up buffs and weak bullet while also casting zanverse near the rest of the group.

Nowadays with nerfed blight bullet it's much less of a thing, but you could still do it if you really wanted to. Just know that you're not going to be doing much damage yourself.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

jokes posted:

The game is fun despite the UI. I mean, woof.

I’m having a lot of fun and trying out all the classes is cool and dope. I like blasting the gently caress out of big groups with my lightning spells or doing fancy spear tricks. I have yet to spend a single SP at lvl 25. I’m sure if I gave a poo poo about min/maxing there’s an absurd amount of depth to making a build.

Anyways I’d love to do some harder/bigger content with goons which is what I imagine the rest of the game looks like.

If nothing else, you really should spend your skill points. Not doing so will make you hit a brick wall of difficulty very fast.

Also completely unrelated, this is a pretty good guide on the Dark Falz Luther fight imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7bo1OTzXaE

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

So Ship 2 is just on fire with errors right now, right? My fiance somehow hasn't been booted yet, and he can see that the blocks aren't actually full.

Yeah the server for ship 2 seems to have exploded.

explosivo posted:

How are people setting up their sub-pallettes? I feel like I'm doing something wrong as Bouncer because I have 1-4 set up with my buffs and then the rest are techniques, and it's kind of a pain in the rear end to reach over and mash or hold 5-0 during combat while trying to move around. I know you can move the cursor thing left and right in the menu and use B to activate the ability (like how it's always done on the controller I guess) but that feels even slower and harder to manage mid-battle.

Edit: Followup question: are all techniques that are Red/Blue/Green the same element when it comes to weaknesses? The symbols on the weakness window for monsters doesn't exactly match the symbol of the technique I'm using but wasn't sure if that mattered or not as long as I match the color.

If you're using the techniques to change jet boots element, one option is to have a seperate subpallet where you just have all of your element changing techs. If you're going to be using offensive techs more often you could probably fit 1 or two onto your jet boots weapon pallet. Also, personally, I prefer having the actives on the right side of the pallet, since I'm pressing them less often than resta and such.

Also yeah all red techs are fire, blue ice, etc.

RBA Starblade posted:

This is probably a dumb question but how do I dash? I can only dodge roll.

Rifle, launcher, and tmg have a dodge roll as their dodge move. All hunter, fighter, and braver weapons (along with wand with wand lovers activated) have the step dash as their dodge.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Ah got it, the game didn't really explain what a dodge, sidestep, roll, etc were or how they were different. I guess this dash roll skill just puts me back to sprinting?

Yeah, it's called sidestep dash but it works with any dodge move. Just try and jump out of the roll and you'll be going at sprint speed.

e: also while there is a ps4 version for the Japanese version of the game, I don't believe there was ever any word about them bringing that over here.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 29, 2020