Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm charmed so far but oh my god this dub

There's no option for the original audio, right?

There is, actually! In the login menu (after you agree to the user agreement, before you get to the list of ships) there's a language settings option where you can turn voices back to Japanese.

Personally I actually really like the dub though, outside of the older male characters they very clearly casted a younger guy to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Humerus posted:

I'm still completely baffled by the mission pass. When you go to buy a tier with star gems, does that mean literally one tier from the gold section? Like currently tier 8 has a cool pirate costume I would like. Once I get to tier 8 (or if, since I don't have a lot of time to play), would I need 200 gems to buy all 8 tiers or can I spend only 25 to get just tier 8?

When you get to a tier, you get the items associated with it. Buying a tier just makes you advance a tier automatically. You just need mission pass gold in order to get the gold section of items.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Humerus posted:

So wait can you buy the gold pass with gems too or do you need premium for it?

You can get the gold pass with either star gems (I think it's 200 sg for one season of gold?), or you get a pass with premium.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

explosivo posted:

Is there an easy way to determine where I need to go to complete a client order like Kill X Automatas without having to google it? I'm sure I'll eventually start to memorize where these things spawn but I was hoping there was another quest log I'm not seeing that tells me where I can find the thing.

Automatas show up in any field on Lilipa (desert, underground shafts, abandoned mine). The other races for each planet are Sylvants for Naverius (forest, tundra, ruins), Draconians for Amduskia (volcanic caverns, floating continent, dragon alter), Oceanids for Wopal (coast, seabed, floating facility), and Nightfallers for Harukotan (daybreak and nightfall provinces)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I hate that bosses can be beaten by dying and going back to the level over and over again. Like I can keep dying to a boss but when I fight it again the amount of HP I took off is still accounted for.

It used to be going back to the ship when you were fighting a boss in the final area failed the quest. That still is the case for a lot of stuff, just not explorations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

anyone got tips for the Apprentice story fight, I'm getting a little better at it but it still kicks my rear end, feels really janky trying to dodge a bunch of rapidly respawning enemies and the boss at the same time in a clunky AIS suit

That story mission is actually just messed up right now, because it was balanced around players being level 80, which isn't possible yet in NA. The best way to beat her right now is to fly in the air and fire missiles at her, with the occasional sword lunge when you see an opening.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Humerus posted:

I have a question about Fi/Hu. I'm using this guide:
Fi/Hu
I'm only level 35 Fighter and maybe 20 Hunter. However, I don't really care for twin daggers and infrequently use knuckles. Am I really limiting myself if I only use double sabers and invest the skill points from the Knuckles/twin daggers skills into the strike up skill instead?

Using only dsaber is possible, it has good PAs for both multi and single target, but you won't be as effective against single targets as someone using daggers or knux

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Imagined posted:

Yeah, even though the tweaker fixed the lag, this game is just not for me. Uninstalled. Have fun those who enjoy it. My wait for a good new MMO continues for the - however many years since FFXIV:ARR came out - year. And if it's not an MMO but essentially Monster Hunter, why wouldn't you play MHW instead?

They're different games with extremely different combat pacing and focuses

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

For Hunter - what is the benefit of Partisans vs Swords/Dual Blades?

It feels like they wouldn't have a niche because you can just use swords for your big focusing hits and dual blades when mowing down little dudes.

Also - where do gunblades fit in?

Partisans have a Photon art that throws out an energy spear into an enemy, and then records the damage that you do to that enemy for a few seconds, and then explodes dealing a portion of the total damage that you did while it was on them. This makes them great for single target fights where you have the opening to combo a boss for a few seconds.

Gunblades are... bad. There's not a single class that benefits from using them over one of their other weapons. That said if you really love gunblade, a Fighter/Hunter using a gunblade can put out a decent amount of damage. It's just very high effort for a very middling reward.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Morshu posted:

So I got curious and read up on some of the episodes that haven't been released in the west yet and please tell me episode 4 isn't as dumb as the summary I read sounds (spoilers I guess?) When you play the game you're controlling a real person in an alternate dimension and then John PhantasyStar comes to the real world

Not really. Basically the Earth in PSO2 is not our Earth, and the PSO2 they have isn't our PSO2. IIRC it's something like the power of the Ether created by Mother allows the people of earth to connect to the dimension that PSO2 is in through the catalyst of a "game." However it isn't supposed to be a whole meta thing where it's like "all that previous stuff in the story was just a video game all along!" or anything.

E: The game's story is a decent anime-rear end plot, but if that's not your thing then you're probably not gonna like it much.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Numberwang!!! posted:

Is there any actual benefit to completing the main story? I mean by completing it you get some sort of unique item or it unlocks something you can't get anywhere else?

Clearing the episode 2 story gives you the weapon camo *Elder Pain, which is a camo version of Falz Hyunal's sword

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

When can I get a Chainsawd and a Spread Needle?

Ardeem posted:

Chainsawd was in Ultimate Naberious, but is an OT weapon, so I don't think we'll get it. Spread Needle never made it in.

Yeah sadly Chainsawd didn't make it into the NA version. Spread Needle is in the JP version though, as a 14* weapon that drops from Esca Falz Mother, so we should get it once we get that boss in NA.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The success rate of grinding rings is 80% for every level

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

For the record, braver does not add your entire dex stat to your attack, only your mag's dex stat. Dex has no use outside of that other as a(n unreliable) defensive stat.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Which class makes Gunblade stop sucking?

Fighter/Hunter can make it suck less, but it'll never be on par with the other weapons (until we get the new class that isn't even out in JP yet)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

How does one do the non-stop Strike Gust? If I hold the button it does a single charged up version, and if I mash it keeps "recasting" it which drains my PP in like 1 second.

Well I mean English has it's own NA servers, so there was probably an exodus from Japan servers since the ping is so much better. The overall players are higher but now split across the two versions of the game.

Is there anyway to make them not purple though? Like can I do hot pink instead? Or do all weapon camos have fixed colorways?

The nonstop version of strike gust isn't actually in yet. That's its crafted version, and sadly we don't have PA (or any other kind) crafting yet.

Some later weapon camos can have their colors changed, but sadly hyper night isn't one of them iirc

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AweStriker posted:

So what are the best things to trade Excubes for?

250% rare drop boosters are the big thing. Always make sure you got at least a couple of those.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

General question, but where is NA in relation to the JP version in terms of balance changes? Obviously we're missing content (PA crafting, complex PAs, a ton of skill rings, etc.), but are the PA/weapon stats in line with how they are in JP right now or are we just multiple patches behind and we'll gradually be caught up even if it means getting changes in a patch that JP later iterated on?

We're in a very strange place in NA right now. We have all of the balance changes that were in JP up to the xbox one closed beta. There was a couple changes to katanas that happened in JP soon after the closed beta that we haven't gotten yet though.

We have all of the PAs other than crafted PAs and complex PAs. However we only have story content up through Episode 3 (JP is in late Episode 6 right now), and actual quest content up to early Episode 3. As such we're really behind on weapons, although they claim that they want to be caught up to JP by the end of the year.

E: btw, jet boots element absolutely stays when you use jetsweep kick here in NA. That was a change made back in 2018 in JP.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 5, 2020

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nigulus Rex posted:

I'm trying to complete the "BOOST ELEMENTS ON YOUR FAVOURITE GEAR" quest, and after fumbling in game and googling I'm not sure what to do. I went to dudu, enhanced my launcher that has light on it with another weapon (different type), also with light on it. It upgraded it but didn't complete the quest. I am clearly missing something here.

To boost a weapon's element you need it to be at least the same weapon type of the same rarity. That'll boost your weapon's element by 1. Having it be the same weapon but a different element will boost it by 10, and the same weapon that is the same element will add their elements together.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The story starts getting alright around the end of episode 1, and I'd say that Episode 2's moves it into the "actually decent" category. The start of Episode 4 is actually really dire, the worst it's ever been, but it redeems itself by the end.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

cathead posted:

Are you sure about this? I just tested and if I charge up say, Grants a few times to get the focus bar to full, I see the light particle effect just fine until the bar runs out (or I Jetsweep to dump it all immediately), then it goes away. Does the element still persist even after the particle effect is gone?

Also read a post on the pso2 reddit (which I can't readily find at the moment unfortunately) while I was originally trying to figure out why I was losing element randomly that said we didn't have that change yet for whatever reason, so that further supported my conclusion.

At any rate this game is kinda bad at indicating how stuff works sometimes so I'd appreciate more insight.

Yeah, I just tried it now and it kept my element after jetsweep kick. You don't get any of the elemental effects on your kicks at 0 gear, but that's normal. Once you build your gear back up you'll still have the last element you had before using the kick.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

So let me just make sure I'm not doing something wrong - after I do these expeditions, I can watch all the story cutscenes that happen in that setting back to back to bad like someone stitched together the YouTube "movie version" of a game?

Correct. They're only blocked off by expeditions (and the actual quests in the story of course)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah a lot of early ep1 is just people going "Hi this exists. Bye!" so it can be very hard to follow

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

A good chunk of the tier missions need SH and I haven't hit 50 yet, unfortunately. Also, PC players just missed the entirety of seasons 1 and 2, which sucks.

Unrelated general question: where the hell do I go to access the Lookbook? One of the ARKS missions wants me to do this but I can't find a UI option.

It's in the fashion menu, which is underneath weapons/armor

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

PSO2 exists outside of the canon of any other Phantasy Star game (other than Nova I guess), although a bunch of old characters have appeared as cameos in the JP version. Especially in Episode 5.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Couldn't they have just stripped out whatever it was that forced you to grind missions to advance the story and instead have you run into the story beats instantly in missions (from the description given so far, it sounded like you had to find X things before you would run into npc's that'd give you the next bit of story?) rather than just have a video player to go through them all, missing a shitton of context?

There's actually very little context missing. The way it used to work is that you ran around in a free field and sometimes a blue/gold tablet would appear, and interacting with it gave you a cutscene. They just cut out the step of needing to farm out free explores in order to find the scenes

Also it sucked because a couple of those scenes only showed up after beating one of the raid bosses, so you'd have to wait for one of those to show up while you were online if you wanted to see that scene

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm relatively early in Episode 2 and I'm wondering how one of these scenes played out in the old system where you actually had to go places to see things: How does the player character intentionally travel back in time to save Theodor's friend whose name I completely blanked on? Like, as an in-game thing. It even takes place in the City map and triggers an entire gameplay sequence so you couldn't have just walked into a tablet or whatever...

That was also a normal story quest back then

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

12 star ones will be able to slot in L Rings so you can have potentially 4 L rings at the same time so they're worth grinding toward.

Note that this is actually not true right now. They have the option for adding ring skills to 12 star units turned off right now.

E: Also, specifically Xion's appearance is in the form of the first photoner she ever met

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 7, 2020

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

It is also canon and will matter in future episodes. :getin:

Matter is a very strong word

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Didn't you only get the Huey/Claris fight if your partner was Sara? I could've sworn that was exclusive to her route

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

This game has routes?

It used to for specific quests, the tournament especially. You could choose between Afin, Lisa, Sara, and Patty & Tiea to be your partner for that quest. For the most part the only differences were the ending of that quest. With the reworked story tho it's Afin only, because his route is the most important to the story.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Seizon posted:

I just picked this up & I'm having a blast with bouncer even though I've got no clue what's going on at all. I love how you get to jump all over the place with the jet boots, but what's the deal with the variant attack that just sends you slowly drifting off backwards? Why is the weapon technique a little hop? Is it for iframes? Is 'gear' somehow different from focus? I also did a solo volcano expedition and for some reason was allowed to spawn in right in front of the Vol Dragon, so I just have no idea how missions are supposed to work at all I guess

The variant on Gran Wave is all iframes and autocasts Deband (defense up) if you have that tech learned. The weapon action on boots activates the elemental burst skill and resets your element back to the original element of the weapon, although that isn't particularly useful. Gear and Focus are the same thing, it was just called Gear in JP and Focus in NA. Explorations are just "do whatever" quests where there are 3 areas, 2 of them full of mobs and randomly occuring emergency codes, and the final area where a boss is.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

jokes posted:

Is techter supposed to play like a Force with melee capabilities? It sure seems like nobody wants my buffs so I might as well dunk meteors on dudes in between combos.

You’d think Techter would get PA for wand.

It depends on your subclass. Techter/Hunter is 100% melee and buffs (techter buffs are very powerful and greatly appreciated!). Techter/Fighter uses melee for groups, but techs for bosses and such (and also buff, I cannot stress how good techter buffs are!)

Wand does eventually get a photon art, it came out in JP around episode 5, so we'll probably get it when we get to that point.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bouncer/Techter using Niren Orochi (60% damage on breakable parts) made zanverse ticks stronger than the actual hits procing zanverse, during a time where the big important raid boss had a bunch of breakables that you went for. It was very stupid.

E: Also, ranger generates aggro like a motherfucker, for some reason. They can even pull it away for war cry-ing hunters (because war cry is very ineffective right now). If you wanted something mobile and up close, but didn't want the melee classes, I would suggest trying out gunner though. They're a secret primarily melee range class

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 9, 2020

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

LightningSquid posted:

Does anyone have any idea why I wouldn't be able to accept this? I'm at Prin and I've tried clicking on the cookie and on the egg but there's no response. I want my egg :(

You have to do the objective that raises the cookie's bar one more time once it gets to 100% in order for it to drop, at which point you'll get the egg.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah DPS is just calculated by taking the effective damage notation of an attack, dividing it by the number of frames between when you start the attack and when you can Perfect Attack again, and then multiplying that number by 60. It's not gonna tell you what to use in 100% of dynamic situations or anything. Just a good tool to keep in mind when deciding what attacks to use where.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I made a thing for the upcoming raid boss this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ9ZE62aTQI

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zereth posted:

So what happens if you beat more than one of the magatsus in the final quest where you're piloting a robot? do you get more than one loot crystal?

You get more/better loot from the one crystal at the end. There's 3 of them in total in that quest, although the time to take out all of them can be tight unless everyone in the group knows what they're doing

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MR. J posted:

Is Returner a thing on here yet? Because that's like the premier "hyper-expensive, only big poopsockers go for" augment.

It's called Veteran's Resolve now, but yes it's in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Frush posted:

Ok, this solo story Magatsu quest is *super* bullshit. Is there something to this that I'm missing? I've done it as an urgent quest, but the HP scaling doesn't seem quite as well done as the other story boss fights.

Seriously, its total BS.

What level are you when fighting him? If I remember correctly he's fixed to being LV75, so if you aren't at max he'll probably be a bit much