Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

I've been giving this a shot again for the first time in a while (most of my play time was in 2013 and 2014) and have a few questions if anyone has some free time to answer. Thanks to a few 1 mil EXP tickets as I think title rewards, I'm 62 Gunner with a ~50 ranger subclass. Been using the second post as a general guideline.

I exchanged 15 stones of some sort to Zieg to get a 13* TMG, but shortly afterwards, I finished the front of the current bingo card and got a certificate to give Leontina for a 13* as well. The one from Leontina has slightly higher stats but I don't see any way to trade one in for a higher level weapon, so does that mean I should grind the one Zieg gave me and then exchange it for a 14* instead? Should I not worry about either of them and wait to grind a collection file weapon? Zieg also has other weapons that require other currencies and I don't really know what I'm supposed to be going for.

Is item identification useless at higher levels? I don't think I've seen anything higher than 9* but I keep getting all these unidentified weapon/egg drops and it's making inventory management a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Regarding inventory management, is there a shortcut to send items to basic or character storage? I've been clicking once and moving right to then click which storage to send to, but given the inventory cap of 50 and my gear takes up just over 40% of that, a good portion of my playing lately has been sending items to storage one-by-one.

I had tons of FUN and SG accumulated (given as mission or title rewards, usually) so I went ham on the scratch offs. Once I've redeemed a cosmetic twice and used it to apply to character and then account, what do I do with duplicates? Is there any way to send gender specific cosmetics to another character to be redeemed? My gunner is male and I have a handful of female only cosmetics, but I didn't want to redeem them to use on my support character if there's some way for another character on my account to use them. I believe I read somewhere that storage is shared among characters but don't have another one created to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I didn't know that the ? symbol changed to a rainbow for higher level drops (still haven't seen one so all of mine have been 7-9 apparently) or you can use shift/ctrl for inventory management. The latter is particularly helpful because you don't have to confirm the quantity if there's more than one in a stack compared to doing it individually. Hard to say how much time I've wasted doing it one-by-one! I also had no idea the recycle shop existed so that's useful for getting excubes and spheres. I have mainly been getting excubes but occasionally I will grab some spheres to get the R-ATK device for my mag. Also very useful to know I can redeem cosmetics on another character rather than unlocking them for my support character.

Because I still had a handful of non-NT weapons in storage, I've locked them in case I wind up getting premium sometime down the road and someone in NolVac wants them for cosmetics. I don't have a list at the moment and they're not particularly exciting, but since they don't drop anymore, someone might be interested...?

What part(s) of the story do I need to complete for the Leontina B certificate? I slogged through all of episode 5 over the past weekend. It was a pain in the rear end because I only ever matched up with anyone else during one quest. Had to do all but one of those castle/burster quests solo. Unsurprisingly, the one with another player took no time at all to complete and I finished the others with 2-3 minutes remaining.

Are the additional mag tickets and +10 item pack expansion the two most useful things you can get with AC? Most of the stuff on there looks to be timed to 30/60/90-day increments. I never bought AC previously because Webmoney seemed to have a lot of hoops to jump through, but apparently you can get AC via the Android application now using Google Wallet funds. A couple of mag tickets would let me focus on strike/tech classes and bigger inventory seems very useful since I'm using up a good portion of it with my equipped gear. Not gonna worry about it until I have both gunner and ranger maxed. Does the 16-digit code generated by PSO2es ever change? I'm probably just gonna write it down and throw it in a safe but the last thing I wanna do is find out the code cycles every six months or something and get boned after a factory reset on the phone.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

MR. J posted:

The permanent stuff you can get with AC is indeed extra mags and on-hand storage, but also expansions to your character storage.
However if you ever rent an extra storage (though Ex. Storage 1 is now unlockable with star gems so you should probably use that first) there's nothing stopping you from offloading everything into it, and then taking out what you need even after the rental expires.

I wound up adding a one-time password as well as linked my account to PSO2es. Considering I just went from 350 total slots to 650, I should be good as long as I remember to log into PSO2es once a month. There are just so many various currencies from over the episodes and it's daunting trying to figure out which ones are used at which vendors. You have weapons badges from various years, the current event gold chip fragments, excubes, the three photon currencies, several types of rare stones, blue/yellow/orange/green badges, king's crests, conqueror's crests, hero's crests, etc.

Saagonsa posted:

I looked it up and I was actually wrong. You get it from main arks missions once you get the title for getting to lv75 on two different classes

To be fair, I could have looked it up. I've been trying to keep "where is/are ____" questions to myself as I explore and then just try to keep QoL/UI questions in the back of my mind to ask later, but I also wanted to make sure I didn't miss something obvious like "go pick it up from the title rewards vendor, dummy."

Does the game automatically use a my room ticket during a related tutorial or does everyone get to go to a personal mini room now? I'd never been in any rooms besides the NolVac team room prior to ep 6. Maybe it was always the case and I'm just not observant. First thing I did was buy a jukebox and drop a little over a million meseta on music tracks. I also placed a little terminal for summoning support characters but had to take down all of the decorations to be able to set it anywhere. Now I can move it but can't figure out how to pick it back up, so it's a bit of a bummer it requires 3 of 5 slots. Burning Rangers, Station Square, and Escape from the City all provide some solace from

seguimos cantaaaaando
seguimos bailaaaando
es un dia de carnival
lleno de felicidaaaaad

I've enjoyed most of the event lobby music over the years, but this Samba de Amigo track has been haunting me.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

I bought an ice silver vita in February specifically to put cfw on it and play PSO2 with the English patch. I'm up to 89 as phantom with 85 gunner and 85 ranger. Just bought some AC which was the last step in triggering the western release. Sega sure had me when they closed down the PSO2 site last year but now that I see it was all just part of their plan, it's definitely (I thought this said master stroke)

Also, sorry eurbros.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 10, 2019

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also plenty of people will have broken just on the back of the katakana captcha, which is just actual hell if you don’t normally read katakana. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a surge of people who couldn’t muscle through making an account.

When creating my PSO2 account, the captcha would time out because I was taking too long or I'd input the incorrect characters and it'd refresh entirely, so of course it took 20-30 minutes to complete. When I had to do it again for the PSO2es/OTP stuff, I got it on the first try in about 30 seconds. For whatever reason, the characters in the second one weren't nearly as warped and didn't have super misleading marks/lines going through the whole thing. I was either incredibly lucky the second time or 2013 katakana captcha was way harder than it is now.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

PSO2 page now says at the bottom that closed beta progress carries over to release and participants will also receive exclusive rewards tbd. If it has said that since beta signups opened, I missed it.

Edit: of course it is month-old news to start a new page.

One of the rewards is a Dreamcast mag. Aw yeah

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 17, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Looking at the settings, you can change voice, text, and language to either English or Japanese. Other players can see which language you have selected. Each option is individual so you can play with Japanese VA if you wind up hating the English voices.

5 text sizes (maybe only 2 available to One S?): Small, middle, 4k small, 4k middle, and 4k large. That is middle, not medium.

All the prerendered videos look to be the same quality as the PC releases. The game is just under 70GB in size.

Which ship are we all gonna play on? Six options in the list at the moment.

1 - Feoh
2 - Ur
3 - Thon
4 - Ansur
5 - Laguz
6 - Kenaz

Be forewarned: if you choose Getting Started on the ship select screen, it will put your new character on Feoh!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

THE loving MOON posted:

I dunno if it's been mentioned yet and I don't have a link on hand, but aparently its confirmed that the PC version is going to be distributed on Steam. Great news, probably meens a better player base in addition to just being able to use the Steam friendlist.

The dev subdomain had a web manual from which this info was taken. I saw Steam mentioned in the privacy policy on Xbox but assumed it was a SEGA-wide policy, not specifically written for PSO2. That said, I saw the manual before it was taken down and it also specifically has MS Store and Xbox instructions, so it doesn't look like super outdated info. It does mention the Vita release, too, though and there is no way that is still being released.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

I'll bet they do like with Halo and let you DL/update on Steam but you still need to sign into the Xbox app with a Microsoft account. As of right now it is officially only Xbox or MS Store app. Steam would do wonders for the population and, in turn, sales.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Annath posted:

I can't wait to go FULL ANIME with the character creator.

There better be daigo again so I can stick them outta my mouth like walrus tusks. I am strongly considering installing PSO2 again so I can look at my character options and write them down for Friday evening. My character is an old fat guy who has this bondage outfit eloquently displaying his moobs. I was very popular in the fashion catalog. Where my boomers at

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

drat. After the Dark Falz EQ, I tried doing coast exploration. My game froze while loading area 3 (xbox ui still reaponsive) and I had to force close it. Now if I try to start any quest, the game sticks me in an infinite loading screen when I try to go to the campship. I even restarted the console and it still happens. I can load into the lobby just fine though.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Bloodplay it again posted:

drat. After the Dark Falz EQ, I tried doing coast exploration. My game froze while loading area 3 (xbox ui still reaponsive) and I had to force close it. Now if I try to start any quest, the game sticks me in an infinite loading screen when I try to go to the campship. I even restarted the console and it still happens. I can load into the lobby just fine though.

Quoting myself to say that it seems to have been a server issue. My session was still in progress and I had to wait for it to kill the room before I could make a new one.

Don't forget to do the beta survey for 500 AC at launch. That's enough for another mag and an AC scratch ticket.

Collection files still confuse the hell out of me. I picked up the file for the +30 rifle, which requires a red launcher, red gunblade, and red rifle. I picked up the launcher and rifle from random drops but they don't show up as complete. Is this a bug or a fundamental misunderstanding of the system?

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 10, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Three days until the open beta (Tuesday, March 17 at 8 PM Eastern, 5 PM Pacific) and Sega has announced a couple of different editions of the game. No word on PC release yet, but they're sticking to their Spring 2020 guns. In the meantime, those of us using our xboxes for the first time in over a month will go ahead and get the team room looking nice and purty for you fellers.

First up, there's the Sonic Collaborator's Edition, $59.99, which includes:

code:
Sonic Suit (M) (x1)
Sonic Suit (F) (x1)
Sonic Hair 1 (x1) 
Sonic Hair 2 (x1)
Emotes 602: Sonic/Tails (x1)
Sonic Knuckles (x1) (Weapon Camo)
Sonic Mask (x1)
Ragol Memory (x5)
Inventory Expansion (10) (x5)
Premium Set (30 Days) Pack (x1)
Mission Pass Gold Ticket (x1)
Beauty Salon Free Pass (x1)
Character Storage Expansion (50) (x5)
EXP Earned +150% (x15)
Triboost +125% (x10)
Grinder (x500)
AC Scratch Ticket (x12)
Great Enhancement Aid +50% (x99)

While I am disappointed we can't rock Robotnik masks yet, the bang-for-buck value is pretty decent, especially compared to buying it individually on JP servers. It costs ~$47 ~$22 at the moment to get 11 AC scratch tickets on the JP server and when you add any of the inventory expansion, character storage, premium, Ragol memory, or whatever mission pass gold ticket is (not the bonus quest that gives you tons of exp--no idea what it is) into the mix, it's well over $60. They're calling it a founder's edition, so if you want the quality of life features but have no desire to be Ryan the Hedgehog, you can probably sit on the cosmetics and sell them down the road to finance the room of your dreams.

Second pack is the Ragol Edition at $29.99, which includes:

code:
Ragol Memory (x10)
Premium Set (30 Days) Pack (x1)
AC Scratch Ticket (x12)

Again, 11, not 12, scratch tickets are already more expensive than that on the Japanese servers. 10 Ragol Memory included in this one, which can be exchanged for various PSO-related goods like outfits, music discs, room posters, or more.

If you buy the Sonic pack, you cannot buy the Ragol Edition. If you want both, you will need to buy the Ragol Fashion Pack instead. The Sonic Edition is the game client + extras and the Ragol Edition is game client + extras, whereas the Ragol Fashion Pack is licensing for the extras only. They are the same price and you can buy as many fashion packs as you want. You can only buy one Sonic pack, since there's no fashion pack equivalent.

Both packs are available next Tuesday when the open beta begins, leading us to the obvious assumption that ron_paul_it's_happening.gif for real, COVID19 and the 18 others, be damned. I am going to try to get a keyboard working with my bone before Tuesday so I can actually talk to everyone instead of staring at chat like a creep who sticks their whole hand in the mashed potatoes at family gatherings/buffets.

Edited JP prices because I lack reading comprehension.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 14, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Surprise Noodle posted:

I think you might be confusing it with AC Scratch Gold ticket prices. You can get 12 regular AC Scratches for about $22. This is still a good value, though. Premium is $13, the character storage is $40 (!), inventory expansion is about $17.50, Ragol Memes are hard to price since we can't buy them directly in JP (but maybe we can in NA?), we still have no idea what the Mission Pass even is, etc.

Whoops. You're right. Not sure how I managed to grab the AC gold prices without realizing it. I kept converting 5000 JPY, not 2000.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Nuebot posted:

Do you have a source on this? If they posted it somewhere official I can't find it.

Also, have they said anything about what the Mission Pass stuff does and if it stacks? IE: does buying the sonic pack and the ragol fashion pack just waste your mission pass, or do you get like two months worth of mission pass?

Presumably the mission pass will be a consumable ticket like Premium, allowing you to stash the second. Surely we will find out more info Monday or Tuesday.

In regards to your first question:

https://www.twitter.com/play_pso2/s...514138181070850

I believe there was something even more clear posted to the PSO2 forum but when I log in on desktop with my Xbox account it says "no xbox account found," leaving search broken, and the site just straight-up crashes Firefox on mobile for me right after selecting Enter Site. The link above specifically is referring to someone's "I wish I could buy this more than once" post. The way I understand it is, if you want both, you buy the sonic collab edition for the client + extras and then you'd buy the fashion pack for the Ragol Edition stuff, with no limit on how many fashion packs you can buy.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 15, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Nuebot posted:

But they said it wasn't when they beta released? Welp. Guess I won't be able to play online.

https://www.twitter.com/play_pso2/s...591945236574208

This was posted before the closed beta and I don't recall them ever stating it wouldn't require XBL on Xbox. It won't require it on PC, but it will still require a MS account.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 16, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Open beta update is live. 1.76GB download if you already had the closed beta installed. 68.76GB download if you did not download the closed beta.

I am certain we'll see PSO2 on Steam. Microsoft announced last year they are committed to bringing games to Steam again, starting with Gears of War 5. The Steam/XBL functionality already exists in games like Master Chief Collection so the only hang-up I can imagine would be if Steam is trying to take a cut of in-game purchases as well. I don't know how that works between Microsoft and Sega, so adding Valve to the mix can't simplify things.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

I said come in! posted:

5 1/2 hours to go

It got pushed back one whole hour to 6 Pacific, 9 Eastern.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Mission Pass info is up.

quote:

Introducing Mission Passes! Phantasy Star Online 2 players in North America will get the chance to obtain rewards by playing the game and completing missions. Read more to learn about this amazing new feature!

In addition to FUN Points and Daily Log-in Rewards, there’s another way you are rewarded for playing Phantasy Star Online 2; through the MISSION PASS system! By completing certain ARKS Missions you’ll gain Stars (points). Once you’ve earned a set number of Stars you’ll move onto the next Tier and be eligible to receive the available items. It’s that easy!

You can earn Stars to reach new Tiers in three ways:

Completing Tier Missions will reward the most Stars
Completing Daily Missions will reward a small amount of Stars
Completing Weekly Missions will reward a small amount of Stars

As with other ARKS Missions, you’ll need to click Tier Missions once you’ve completed them to receive your Stars.

Once you’ve reached a new Tier, click on the icon for the Reward shown on your Mission Pass. Congratulations! You’ll now find the item in your inventory. In addition to cosmetics and consumables, the Mission Pass is also where you can earn Mission Badges and Rising Weapons Badges –the vendors who take these forms of currency are located in the Shopping Plaza.

All Arks are automatically eligible to earn the rewards listed in the Normal Tier of the Mission Pass, but those who want even more rewards can purchase a MISSION PASS GOLD TICKET and receive rewards from the Normal Tier and Gold Tier for the entirety of the Season! Mission Pass Gold Tickets can be obtained through the Mission Pass interface using Star Gems, with the purchase of a Premium Set through the AC Shop, or by purchase from the Star Gem Shop.

Mission Passes are active for certain periods, or Seasons. When one Season ends, a new Mission Pass Season begins and Stars earned will go towards the Tiers on the new Mission Pass. However, any Tier Rewards that were not claimed from the previous Season will still be available for a set time.

Some rewards will have multiple options that you’re able to select from, although you can only choose one. Choose carefully, as you cannot change your reward later –even if you cannot equip the items. Each account can claim a reward only once, so make sure you receive it on the correct Ship!

If you saw a reward with multiple options and you really wanted both, don’t worry, you have another chance at it. At a certain Tier, you’ll unlock the Extended Game Mode and you’ll be able to complete the Tiers over again so you can select the rewards you didn’t take the first time.

If you have a bit less playtime than you’d like and can’t earn enough Stars, you can purchase Tiers with Star Gems. Just click the PURCHASE TIER button on the Mission Pass interface.

Earning new accessories and items through the Mission Pass system is a lot easier than watching the Personal Shops for something that will make you the next trend-setter. Earn your Stars and become one of the most fashionable Arks in Oracle!

Confirms you can use Star Gems to buy the Mission Pass, thankfully. Looks like you can skip the grind altogether with SG as well, but I'd imagine that is a bad way to allocate them. You get it with Premium, too, it looks like. I was afraid it was gonna be a separate subscription of some sort. Phew

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 17, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

I said come in! posted:

lol no thank you. Completely out of place for a game like this. Just offer a normal cosmetic only cash shop.

Compared to the JP method of gambling on scratch tickets, the mission passes doling out older AC scratch content doesn't seem too bad to me. My biggest worry was that it'd be separate from premium. Even if you don't want to spend a dime on the game, the free mission pass will still kick cosmetics your way, more than you'd be getting with free FUN scratches, anyway. It seems to be more of an incentive to get premium than anything. Unless they jack the price of premium up, it's only more stuff for the same (or no) price.

Open beta rewards announced. Hit up the visiphone to snatch em up after login. No end date announced.

Flowen’s Sword (x1) (Sword Camo)
F Shooter / Licht (x1) (Rifle Camo)
Squeaky Hammer / Nacht (x1) (Rod Camo)
Astral Riser/Nacht (x1) (Gunblade Camo)
Fresh Aura (x1) (Back Unit)
EXP Earned +50% (x10)
Rare Item Drop Rate +50% (x10)
Meseta Earned +50% (x10)
Half Scape Doll (x5)

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

I'm having flashbacks of trying to buy PSO music for my room and seeing prices higher than all the money I had ever earned on my way up to getting two classes to 75 and one to 90. Didn't you need to buy art books to get Ragol memory or something like that? If they took away the mission pass, what advantages are there compared to having it? Free and paid players are both getting more cosmetics without having to buy more AC for scratch tickets. There's the possibility that I have a fundamental misunderstanding of the way it all works on JP because most of the time I played required webmoney, well before PSO2es. It seemed to me like people gambled on AC scratch tickets, sat on the prizes, then just flipped them down the road to buy other, haven't-been-available-for-years cosmetics, which is why I bothered mentioning sitting on Sonic cosmetics earlier.

Obviously something like buying pso money to exchange for exactly the cosmetic you want would be a better system, but this still seems like a better setup than JP and definitely better than SEA.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Nuebot posted:

The thing is, is that people are comparing the launch of this new game, to entering PSO2JP years in where cosmetics were dead and outdated and thus were immensely expensive. Right now, NA is just now launching. It doesn't have that history yet, so the parts in that track aren't old and outdated yet. They aren't limited supply; until we know what's in the AC scratch, they're the only supply. If this mission pass was being applied to JP, then yeah that'd be cool. People would be getting access to old and outdated items they might want. But NA players aren't getting old items. They're getting new items. Now there's just a bunch of cosmetics locked behind premium/mission pass.

Ok, I think I see what you mean now. You want to make sure the items in the mission pass are also available at some point via AC scratch, right? Because they might not be available via AC scratch, they might not be available for purchase from other players. I guess some of it depends on whether mission pass items can be listed on the store or not, in that regard.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Nuebot posted:

Also; Premium does not give you mission pass gold.

EDIT: Also you can't even get all of the gold pass rewards. You can only pick one group out of each option. This is actually worse than I thought.

You get the mission pass ticket along with the premium ticket when you buy the latter on the AC shop, or at least you should. Every other method of premium acquisition at the moment (any of the three packs) gives you both tickets as well. Contact support if you bought premium with AC but did not get the mission pass.

Open beta rewards have been fixed. NOW you can get them from the visiphone.

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers will receive monthly bonuses, starting with today's pack.

Xbox Jacket (M) (outerwear)
Xbox Jacket (F) (outerwear)
600: Xbox X/B (emote)
601: Xbox O/X (emote)
Xbox Wireless Controller (Accessory)
Premium Set (30 Days) (x1)
Meseta Crystal (1,000,000) (x1)
AC Scratch Ticket (x12)

Curious to see what next month's pack looks like because, at the moment, it looks like one month of game pass is the cheapest way to get premium. It specifically states game pass ultimate, which is $15/mo at normal price.

Edit: in classic fashion, the rewards are supposed to be live but aren't working at the moment. Eventually, you will go to the game pass tab and find it underneath perks, but the codes being generated aren't working yet.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 18, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

I asked in-game, but am kinda confused after looking at the stats for 12 and 13* weapons. Switched over to gunner/hunter and I am sitting on 1.1k unique weapons badges and 20 rising weapons badges. Looks like my options are:

H10 Missouri - 13* with 450 DEX requirement, 20 RWB
Nox Chario - 12* with 425 R-ATK requirement, 400 UWB

I am nearly 100 dex short of being able to equip the Missouri (which looks to have been a PSO2es weapon), but it also has about 300 more R-ATK at base level than the Chario. Presumably, some of the dex will come as my character gets to a higher level, but should I be putting skill points into +DEX in order to prep for the weapon? Comparing potentials, the Missouri seems to have a better setup, too. I'm just not entirely sure how to get to the dex requirement.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

orange juche posted:

No, Dex is a wasted stat on a Mag unless you are a Braver right now. There are affixes on units that can give more DEX, but really you will be able to equip the 13* once you get closer to 75. You will get a handful of DEX each level, basically, and you should never put points in DEX unless you have a class skill that converts DEX to attack power.

Thanks. I meant gunner SP into dex but your advice still told me what I needed to know. I mixed up the badge currencies for each weapon so I will start grinding out the 13* for when I get enough dex to equip it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I was wondering if someone could please point me towards a good leveling guide for the American version? I am level 18 and feeling like I am doing something wrong, with leveling taking a long time. It feels like I need to grind the same areas over and over again and that doesnt seem correct. Am I doing something wrong?

I still haven't had time to write up a guide (or play) but you should pick up Client Orders from NPCs scattered around the lobby and shopping area. If you are doing forest exploration, for example, Hans over to the far left of the campship area has a bunch of missions that give great experience. If you choose an exploration quest at the quest counter, you can open the menu and there is an option around client orders that allows you to view all acceptable COs in the mission area so you only need to run up to the NPCs to turn the quests in for rewards. Eventually, at higher levels, you can do advance quests that will net you a ton of experience.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Imagined posted:

Boy, it's sure great that they didn't drop the PC release on a huge three-day weekend for the USA. It would've just been terrible to spend my quarantine memorial day weekend playing a new MMO I've been wanting to play for almost a decade.

If it makes you feel any better, I redeemed all the premium/mission passes I had and haven't been able to play since April. Whoops. At least it will finally be here next week.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

I attempted to write a guide for goons that would be ready by the time it launched on PC in NA. Haven't had a chance to play in quite some time, but because it launches in just over 12 hours, I wanted to post what I'd written so far. It's barely coherent, has no proofreading, and covers a fraction of what I'd intended, but hopefully someone finds it at least a little useful. This is an 8-year-old game with a lot of strange systems.

ARKS Survival Guide by Nol Rinale II Esq.

---
Create your Character
---

First, you're gonna have to pick a ship. This is the server you'll be playing on. You can create characters on multiple servers, but it does cost real money to transfer to a different server. If you click Getting Started, it will automatically put you on Ship 1. If you want to play with the kind and generous folk of Nol Vacancy, select Ship 2 instead of Getting Started. Pretty sure some goons play on ship 1, if you don't care about splitting up characters over servers or have other friends there, but the main SA group is on ship 2. We require your photons to grow our space tree. As far as I know, you can have three total characters spread across any number of ships. The majority of players with multiple characters play on the same ship so that they can easily transfer items between each other, however. Another benefit to having more than one character includes multiple campaign rewards As an example, if SEGA gives out a skill tree reset pass, you can redeem one on each active character for two or three total passes instead of just one. More characters also means more inventory space.

Next, you're gonna pick your class. Unless you are smack dab in the middle of a quest, you are free to waltz right on up to the class change counter at any time and select between nine different classes, as the OP states. Check out this thread's OP for more information on each of the classes. An important thing to know is that your subclasses will stop gaining experience at level 55. Once you hit level 55 in a subclass, the only way to get it up to the (current) cap of 75 is to make it your main class and continue grinding away.

--
Free to play
--

What do you have to pay for? Is any of it worth it? Can I enjoy the game at all without spending any money?

You can absolutely enjoy this game for hundreds of hours without spending a penny on it. The majority of paid purchases are for cosmetics by way of AC Scratch Tickets.

You can read about Premium packs here. Premium is the monthly paid option and there is a lot of information detailing what premium does at the link. The biggest pros to premium are:

1.) You can start your own player shop. You do not need premium to purchase things from other players, only to list and sell items.
2.) Client order cap increases from 20 to 40. This means you can have twice as many active quests at once.
3.) Monthly mission pass ticket included.
4.) You can increase the size of your personal room.

The other main way to spend money is for convenience. You can pay real money to increase your inventory size, your character's storage, or shared inventory size. Your character has an inventory with 50 max slots by default. Any equipped gear takes up space, too. When your inventory is full, you can't pick up any other items. But what if you're on a mission? Surely you don't have to use a telepipe and head back to do inventory management, right?

Correct! At any time, you can open your inventory and send stuff to your off-person storage. For Xbox players, hold a trigger to select multiple items and on PC or Xbox with kb&m, you can hold shift. That way, even if you're dealing with the base 50 inventory slots, you can still grab 20 weapons or so and chuck em into storage in a matter of seconds. When you are doing Urgent Quests back-to-back, you won't have the time to take a look at each item that dropped. Get into the habit of quickly identifying things you don't need from your inventory list so you can quickly select it and send it off to another storage. I highly recommend throwing same items into the same storage. For example, if you get some Rising Weapons Badges and send them to character storage, you want to put all of your Rising Weapons Badges into character storage. They will stack and it is a much more efficient use of inventory space. It isn't a bad idea to go to the storage terminal every once in a while and look at All Storage so that you can combine like items into the same storage.

MAGs are 300 AC each. If you plan to play every class and wanna max your damage output, you'll eventually want four MAGs total. S-DEF, R-DEF, and T-DEF are not ever going to be great MAG builds, which leaves you with S-ATK, R-ATK, T-ATK, and DEX. You would ideally want four total, one with 200 in each of those four attributes. That way, if you are playing gunner, you can use your R-ATK MAG but if you decide to swap over to hunter instead, you can use your S-ATK MAG. Class/MAG combos are in the OP.

--
Mission Pass
--

Mission passes come in two forms. There's the free mission pass, which is the top row of the pass, and it is granted to everyone, including free players. If you use a mission pass item, it unlocks the bottom row of the pass for the duration of that pass. You can get access to the bottom row by either purchasing premium for your account, or you can use Star Gems to purchase a mission pass. Provided you are able to complete around 2/3 of the mission pass each month, you should gain enough SG from the pass to pay for the next month's pass. Besides paying for them on the player shops, this is one of the only ways for free players to get more character cosmetics.

The mission passes run month-to-month, but there are weekly quests as well. Once you have reached the 30th rank in the mission pass, five more tiers will be added and you'll be able to sweep up some of the cosmetics you had to skip over on your way to 30.

--
Currencies
--

There are several currencies in this game and I find it to be the most confusing aspect of the game, bar none. Let's look at some of the several currencies in this game.

Meseta - Meseta is the staple currency of the Phantasy Star series. Where Final Fantasy has gil and Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden has neoshekels, Phantasy Star has meseta. Meseta is used to purchase items from player shops, healing/affliction-curing items, and tasty space drinks.

AC (ARKS Cash) - The paid currency of PSO2. Turn your real money into fake money! The only time this has ever been handed out, AFAIK, was a gift of 500 AC for completing the open beta test survey from earlier this year. Do not ever expect SEGA to give you any of this, as it is the bread and butter of the product. It is the lifestream of PSO2. Used for either cosmetics (AC Scratch Tickets, see below) or convenience options. You can pay real money to increase your various inventories, get a fresh, baby MAG to use with other classes, go under the knife for cosmetic surgery, or several other things. If you are considering spending AC on something, but are new to the game, I highly recommend asking other, more experienced goons whether it is worth the money or not. I would argue that the inventory/character/storage increases are absolutely worth it, but they also aren't close to cheap. Inventory management can sometimes be a pain if you're trying to fly through Advanced Quests or do back-to-back-to-back Urgent Quests.

SG (Star Gems) - Star Gems are granted via login stamp rewards, filling up cosmetic affinity gauges (wear some outfits long enough and you can redeem SG for having worn them, essentially), ARKS League rewards, title rewards, campaign mission rewards, and more. On the 2nd and 22nd of each month, you will also get SG handed to you. SG can be used for a variety of things. The most obvious is to purchase items at the SG shop (Main Menu > AC Menu > SG Shop). For more information on SG, check here. Star Gems expire one year after they were earned or purchased! Furthermore, let's say you have 200 SG given to you from campaign quests but you also went out and bought 100, for some strange reason. If you purchase something that costs 250 SG, your free 200 SG will be used up before it dips into the paid SG.

Ex-Cubes - These are sometimes given out as client order rewards or by obtaining a new title from the title counter, but the easiest way to rack them up is to use the Swap Shop to exchange 10* or 11* weapons for these lil red cubes. Ex-cubes can be exchanged for a variety of items, but arguably the most useful two items would be the Mag level down item (if you mess up feeding your mag, you can feed one of these devices to it in order to remove the accidental level gain) and 3000 FUN points. After hitting the level cap for any given class, enough gained experience will net you class ex-cubes, too, which can be traded for two ex-cubes each. They are also used for some more intensive things like raising weapon caps, but that's for a different write-up.

FUN Points - These are given out for interacting with other players in one way or another. Buy something off of the store and it was a good price? Send the seller a good job/kudos and you'll both receive some FUN points. Doing an urgent quest and someone goes down? Use a moon atomizer to revive them and you'll get some FUN points. You also get FUN points for consecutive, daily log-ins. You can summon friends' avatars to help you with missions, which will also net you some points. Premium players earn 2x as many FUN points, but considering you can exchange one ex-cube for 3000 points, you'll never be left wanting.

Casino Coins - Space Charles E. Cheese tokens, as if you couldn't guess. These are often given out as daily login rewards in the form of casino coin passes. You need to go up to the dragon statues in the casino and exchange the coin passes for actual virtual coins. You can buy casino coins with meseta, but they are incredibly expensive. I highly recommend cashing in some casino coin passes and playing something like Mesetan Shooter for more coins instead of simply buying them outright.

AC Scratch Tickets - The real money pit. Paid outfits, accessories, emotes, etc. Items you receive from AC scratch tickets can be listed and sold on the player markets. You use AC to buy these. They aren't exactly a currency, but because the items you get from them CAN be used as currency, I listed them here too.

Recycle Badges - If you scratch off an AC card and don't like the item for any reason, you can exchange it for a recycle badge. The key here is that these badges stack on top of each other in your inventory. Maybe you scratched five AC tickets over the span of a month, but you're not into three of the outfits. Three badges will take up one inventory space, compared to three outfits taking up three spaces. The badges can then be used in place of AC scratch items. If you're trying to buy something that requires 12 AC scratch items, as an example, you can either trade in 12 different items granted by scratch tickets, 12 recycle badges, or any combination of both.

Ragol Memory - Currently only available by buying the $30 Ragol pack, these items can be traded in for PSO-related posters, music discs, outfits, etc. If you do purchase the Ragol fashion pack, be aware that the majority of items from the Ragol Memory shop cannot be traded or listed on player shops! Some of them can, but they're all already fairly cheap on the market, so you are probably better off spending meseta to get them.

Mission Badges - When going through mission pass quests, you'll sometimes have the option to choose between cosmetics or the same number of mission badges. Gather enough of these badges and you can trade them for cosmetics at the Mission Badge Shop. It doesn't seem like the items at the shop will be rotated out often, so choose whatever cosmetics you'd like from the mission pass and gain them at a slow, yet steady pace.

Rising Weapons Badges - These are also given out via mission pass tiers, but you can also get them from some Urgent Quests, like Elder of the Unfathomable Abyss.

Alliance Points - If you are in a team/alliance, these will get handed to you for all sorts of reasons. Pull a slot machine handle? Have 3 AP. Complete an Alliance Client Order? Have 150 AP. There is a weekly cap, but all of the team points get thrown into one big pool, which the leaders can then use for various team improvements, including growing our photon tree (gives better buffs when you pet it), redecorating the room, or buying gifts like Advance Quest capsules for everyone.

Pink ARKS Badge - I believe these are given out via Quest Triggers. Occasionally, you will get an item that will force certain bosses to spawn in certain areas.

--
Auxiliaries
--

You can create your own AI partner to help you on quests or, even better, go do quests on their own. There's a bit of info in the link above but the gist is: accept Client Orders from Franca's Cafe, use an auxiliary terminal in your personal room to send them on the client orders, wait 1 hour per CO for mission to complete, complete the CO, and repeat. Your auxiliary gains experience and you can change their equipment, cosmetics, and class/subclass.

--
Hot, Hot Tips for Everyone
--

Enable auto-loot in the game's settings. I believe it is Main Menu > Settings > Game Settings, though you might have to scroll down a bit. This will automatically pick up 13* weapons, badges, grinders, etc., provided you enable all those options. This should be on by default, but it isn't. There are some urgent quests where 12 of you will be killing enemies so quickly during PSE Bursts that you simply won't have time to run and pick everything up, even while wildly mashing the pickup button. There's no auto-pickup for meseta, but simply running over it (no need to press a button) will pick it up for you.

If you are on the base Xbox One or an Xbox One S, go into the graphics settings and drop the shadow slider from 5 to 1 to play the game at a somewhat acceptable frame rate. For whatever reason, the default shadow values just destroy the game on those two systems. You can also drop the total number of rendered characters down if you find that didn't help enough, but it should not be necessary. Low-numbered, highly-populated ship blocks almost require a PC with SSD for reasonable frame rates.

Triggers or ctrl/shift will allow you to select multiple items in your inventory for much faster management.

If you pick it up and think you'll be playing for any decent period of time, create two more characters on the same ship. You can do the daily quests on each character for good money. Even if you don't pay for premium to sell things in player shops, you can make frankly ridiculous amounts of meseta simply by swapping through your characters and doing each of the dailies.

That having been said, if you are doing mission pass tiers, try to redeem everything on one character. You cannot complete mission pass quests on multiple characters, as they disappear from your list of

There's an older gentleman in Franka's Cafe who will give you sugar daddy ducats for rare harvesting items. I recommend using up some stamina on fishing to increase combo meter, then once you've hit fever, run around and harvest the green nodes instead. Stock up a handful of naverius shrooms for an easy 300k/week over three characters. He has several orders, too, so that's up to a couple million meseta every week from incredibly little effort.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Do I have to shell out 60 bucks for that loving awful sonic costume? Cause holy hell yes please, but I don't wanna play 60 bucks.

No, you can buy it from player shops with meseta. The premium + scratch tickets + inventory expansions are more than $60 individually however, not even including the extras.

Everyone who has worked through weird MS Store issues and is playing, the next time you login go to:

Change your player ID. By default, all IDs are PN######### to be unique but that also mean if you apply to the group, you show up as PN19284719284371 and not your character's name. It will also keep you from going "hey everyone" as PN958715501 like we all definitely did at one point or another this year.

First change is free but you have to pay to change it so maybe treat it like a virtual tattoo.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

explosivo posted:

I'm not in game so I can't check exactly where but I think you need to mark the quest complete in one of the menus. There was a menu I found that had a bunch of listed quests that I completed and the forest one was in there. Clicking on it gave me the reward and moved me to the next mission.

Edit: Yeah, check Quests (it's the 5th tab in the bottom menu bar thing) > ARKS Mission > Main Mission.

You can also hit esc to open the menu and then press shift to quickly access main/daily/weekly/tier missions. There is a button to receive all rewards if you have completed multiple missions too. Left-click a mission to keep it tracked on your HUD.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

PSO2 Tweaker totally fixed the lobby lag issues. Fingers crossed, but my installation from Wednesday is still fine. Can't wait to play some more this evening. Echoing that everyone with issues should try PSO2 Tweaker.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Rocketpriest posted:

So I'm betting, because this game's ui is just awful, that the answer is no, but: Is there some way to make it so I have to press Enter or something to begin typing in the chat window? This is one of those games that recognizes Logitech G keys as normal number keys, so while I'm using my discord push-to-talk button I'm just filling a text field with 6's. Honestly, the more annoying part is that pressing X on my controller sends the 6's before it'll let me jump again.

Press scroll lock to enable/disable direct chat. It should have been disabled by default though. Might have accidentally enabled it too because it saves the setting when you toggle.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 1, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Kild posted:

IDK if NA has Bonus Keys (from featured quests) but those scale to your level so doing several of those in a row with an exp boost is how you level fast in the later levels.

Not yet. Recommended quests give out grinders and boosts though. Still handy considering there is a daily mission for using a boost.

I think VHAQs are faster for leveling than SHAQs, but you have a chance at better drops in super hard. The enemies have very little HP in very hard and the exp difference isn't that different.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

kzmn posted:

Gathering question. Sometimes when I'm gathering I get 100 extra stamina suddenly (usually around the time fever starts) but reliably. Is there something specific that triggers that or is it random? My google fu is apparently too weak to find the answer.

There is more info here but the gist is you level up fishing/gathering by getting achievements, which will refill your stamina and give you access to new recipes. Yerkes in the cafe has 5 weekly orders worth 100k each for the rare items in 5 fields too.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Don't forget that you can sort storage. When you go to a vendor that has "sell items from storage," click all inventory on the left and then click your weapons tab. Sort by rarity and sell everything up through 9* that you don't want to feed to your MAG. Then click the units tab and sort by rarity again. Sell everything up to 9* unless you wanna keep it for a different class, in which case lock the item. That is most of inventory management. Remember, you can hold shift to select things just by hovering in the sell screen. Sort by rarity with least rare at top, scroll down to the 9*, then hold shift and go up to the top of the list.

You could skip picking up all 9* or lower gear, but think of it this way: each piece you sell is basically a chunk of meseta you had to press E to grab. It adds up very quickly and once you know how to quickly sell 100 items, clearing out storage every couple of days isn't that big of a deal.

Once you start getting 10* weapons you don't want, use the swap shop to turn them into ex-cubes. Second floor shop vendor will let you trade them for a variety of goodies, including 3000 FUN points tickets that will sometimes grant you shop passes, on top of tons of cosmetics and grinding materials.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

AweStriker posted:

So what are the best things to trade Excubes for?

Beyond what was already said, you can also trade 5 for one MAG level down device, which will undo one level in any stat. The FUN tickets are must haves for free players, though, cause they can grant passes for you to sell stuff on the market. Save em up until you have a handful of high value items and then sell. Even if the pass expires, your goods stay up on the market.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Skeletome posted:

Playing Gunner on my alt and ITS SO COOL

What are the go to PAs that peeps use? I'm enjoying desperado dance and the matrix rip off one

Grim barrage for traveling quickly and whichever one makes you flip up and shoot downwards as quickly as you can click. If you switch to the other view by pressing Z, you won't auto lock onto things as you grimly barrage across the lands.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Bruc posted:

Is there any way of raising defensive stats aside from just leveling up? I have a couple pieces of armor that require like 50 more than I have right now. Could I boost some of my other units or something or are the requirements based off of your base stats?.

Your best bet is to continue leveling your class and subclass. Like Ardeem said, the only other way would be to feed your MAG DEF items and later undo it with MAG level down devices, 5 ex-cubes each, so 250 ex-cubes plus having to wait to feed the MAG. I recommend saving up redeeming dailies/turning in COs after you set your subclass to your main so you can get 100% exp applied instead of 20%. Then swap back to your main class and equip armor/weaps again to continue leveling.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

orange juche posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comme...uper_hard_over/

If you were curious why XH luther is easier than SH luther, the answer is as follows

Suddenly, all the running out of time with a bunch of 50-55 players on SH makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 24, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a list of all the music currently available on NA version? https://pso2na.arks-visiphone.com/ doesn't list anything and it's very hard to search for music discs (all I can do is pick Misc and 3-star only items to somewhat narrow it down).

Got my personal quarters playing Live and Learn with the sweet guitar solos.

Not in one convenient spot, but you can go to the pso2 site and dig through posts to look for the FUN scratch posts. The discs are listed at the bottom. There are some music discs that are acquired by trading ragol memories from the ragol fashion pack ($30) too but they cannot be sold/purchased on the market.