Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Surprise Noodle posted:

They decided to call the new enemies "Luminmechs".

I am very unhappy about this.

So loving dumb. Do they still have Forever Runner as Forever Loner? And Pattientia as Patty and Tea? And Code Abyss as Code Avis?
(You don't have to answer that I haven't even used the patch since 2014 and I know the answer is yes)

I really need to start playing again. I stopped playing with non-IRL people since I use my PS4 and can't read the chat text very well/can't type for poo poo with a controller but drat it, I'm gonna try! Soon! Probably!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Plasbad posted:

So I was just thinking about getting into this, but since it's now officially going to have an English release, I'm not sure if I should go through all the downloading and patching or if I should just wait. Does anyone think it'd be worth investing into now?

If you want to play with goons, get lots of crossover stuff that won’t get brought over to the western version, or play it at all before 2020 then go ahead and install it now.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Everything is coming over, at least that's what the trailer suggested when it said "all the content".

I don’t think it’s like EVERYTHING-everything. That would be a legal nightmare.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Has anybody watched the new anime? I haven’t checked it out yet but I heard they localized darkers as falspawn instead of the cancelled localization’s D-ARKers. I’m assuming that’s going to be the new name for the English version of the game. It certainly sounds nicer but it’ll take some getting used to. I guess this means the new localization won’t be based on the original one at all.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So uh... I’m actually kind of enjoying the new anime. It’s basically just the episode 1/2/3 story but streamlined and with a slightly darker/bloodierpresentation. It’s not Shakespeare but it’s a decent enough way to waste 20 minutes every week.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

2 Questions, 1.) Do I need Xbox Gold/ Live to play the Open Beta? I google'd the answer and apparently it's Yes.

2.) Will this have cross saves, so if I play on the beta now, I can continue playing my character when the steam release hits?

There’s no saves, it’s all server-side. The servers will be the same between platforms, but we don’t know for sure that it will be available on Steam in addition to the Windows Store.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Looks Monster Hunter inspired. I wonder if it’s a retail game? It sure seems to me like a proper sequel gameplay wise, they probably just didn’t call it PSO3 because it’s still set in the PSO2 universe.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Looks like this is how Photon Blasts are gonna work?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kobata posted:

That, I'm fairly certain, is Satellite Laser and the Eotile wand laser thing (especially since the player character in that half is floaty as heck like Et wand is)

The photon blast icon goes into cool down when he uses the laser, though

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The new update in Japan has the last story chapter, as well as cyber goth costumes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN9A1AS0hjU

The update title is “Profound Darkness, Great Light.” Is this the first time we’ve heard the term “great light” from Phantasy Star 4 referenced in PSO2? I haven’t been keeping up since episode 5.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Saagonsa posted:

It is, and through datamining/leaks we have learned that the great light is the friends we made along the way

Weird but on-brand for PSO2. I figured the photoners were supposed to be the great light, same as the ancients in PSU.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Love when the translators have no familiarity with the source material and the original company doesn’t care about the translations quality!

Though technically it really is supposed to be Dark Phallus lol

Btw where‘s all the cool datamined stuff posted nowadays? I’m pretty sure I asked this a few months ago but I already forgot, gomen nasai

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Looking forward to hearing PSO2 newbies’ reactions to Episode 4’s insanity.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Saagonsa posted:

They should've made Euclyta Australian too

Lol did they seriously not give her an accent? Or does she have one after being de-Apprentice’d? Having siblings with 2 different accents is kinda a strange oversight

Also he’ll yeah Gridman! Not sure why now of all times but better than never I guess

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The first PSO2 anime sucked balls but the parts where it was just the group of normal players doing chill PSO stuff were fun enough I guess. It’s one of the most blatant advertisement anime I’ve ever seen though.

I never finished Episode Oracle (I’ll get to it one of these days) but it was a decent way to get the overall story of episodes 1-3, and handled a few plot points better than the game.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Stanos posted:

Is there a good writeup for ep4 story? I'm vaguely curious about the what and the why of fights and stuff but I hate nearly everyone in the story so I've been skipping everything for the campaign.

I never played through it but watched most of the major story scenes on YouTube way back when. Basically:
2 years after episode 3 you wake up from cryo-sleep. A bunch of unregistered ARKS have been appearing recently and acting strange, so they send you to investigate. While exploring the ruins with one they get possessed by some kind of dark photons (I think? I don’t remember exactly what the original nature of it was). This is Hitsugi, the actual main character of episode 4’s PSO2 character. She logs out and a little boy appears in her room that’s like a younger version of her character.

So basically, on alternate dimension Earth, PSO2 is a popular online game. But it’s a bit of a fake out, because it’s not actually a game but really a way to spy on ARKS by making avatars created by Mother, a failed copy of Xion that the photoners discarded into another dimension who impacted with earth and created the moon and the alternate dimension’s version of photons called ether. She and an Evil Anime Council called Mother Cluster made up of some of the most talented people on earth and also Hitsugi’s horrible useless friend are the main villains. They create phantasms, which are monsters made out of ether that take the forms of things that humans fear, like zombies, attack helicopters, historical WW2 battleships, and New York New York’s Statue of Liberty riding on the Luxor’s Sphinx.

Meanwhile you and other ARKS pop up to help Hitsugi and friends now and then, and there’s a bunch of stuff with the little kid, Al, being some kind of good Dark Falz that’s mix of ether and photons which is powerful I guess. Also, there’s a resistance against Mother led by a guy named Adam, and humans can develop special personal weapons from ether with special abilities, and Hitsugi’s lets her erase photons or something? It becomes important later.

Mother absorbs Al to get Falz powers and becomes a raid boss, and after you beat her it’s revealed that she’s not inherently evil but feels lonely and abandoned by the photoners and you almost get her to turn good and give up her grudge with the power of friendship but then she’s killed by Adam, who is actually evil. It turns out he’s one of the first humans and has been alive for millions of years and was a bunch of different historical figures. He uses ether to do magic and stuff and you fight him along with one of the Mother Cluster people who was actually Eve this whole time but as he dies he uses ether to summon God, who is a raid boss.

I may have some details wrong but that’s basically the overall plot.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ah ok, thanks. It’s been a while and I haven’t played the US version much.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The early parts are terrible-stupid anime shlock but it definitely becomes kinda fun-stupid anime shlock later on.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt7RBrssxAY

Looks cool. I’m a bit worried about the possible lack of changing weapons (at least at launch) though. And hopefully the enemies actually stay a threat instead of instantly dying like they do in vanilla PSO2.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

How’s the story in episode 5 compared to 4? I only did the beginning parts in the Japanese version and while I know the broad strokes of the story I don’t really know much about how they’re presented and it all sounds incredibly convoluted.

In other news I started playing Summoner and I really don’t like it. I wasted all my exp tickets leveling it up so I could play with my friend and it hasn’t gotten much better... I have all the non-evolved pets and the only ones that I end up using are Wanda and Redran. I really like the latter’s shooter style lock-on attacks but I can’t coast by on them forever.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The original PSO2 anime was so bad

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ive mostly just been playing the NA version with my friend back in the states so I haven’t played a ton, but I think I’ll start up again. I fell off the JP version around the end of episode 5, so I’m looking forward to seeing what I missed out on. I’ve enjoyed the episode 5 story a surprising amount, does episode 6 stay interesting?

scary ghost dog posted:

that suck.....ah well

You should get it on PC and use a PS4 controller. Jim demands it... no, he REQUIRES it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So apparently the emails for the New Genesis closed beta are going out. Anybody here get in?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I was in the original closed beta back in 2012, so I was hoping I’d get in this time too, but no dice. :(

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Or the actual bad touch scene that was cut.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’ve been surprised by how much of episode 5 and 6 I actually like. I guess I haven’t actively disliked anything outside of the first anime and a good chunk of episode 4, but outside of episode 2 and some of episode 3 I don’t think there’s been anything in the story that grabbed me.

The earth chapter with the half-assed anime reunion that 90% of global players won’t understand was pretty dumb though

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

At least they didn’t bring PSO2es overseas. Talk about shameless designs.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The first one doesn’t look too bad in game from what I’ve seen, but the second... yeah.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m not really a fan of the Naverius enemies returning for NGS. I’d be more ok with it if they had more design differences but as it is they’re just recolors with little to no difference. At least they seem more fun to fight.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I haven’t played in a while, have they done the PSO anniversary event in the global version yet?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

It's going on right now.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's happening right now I believe.

Looks like I need to jump back in then. Thanks!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The official localization is sloppy, yeah. That said I think the translation is usually higher quality than the original fan patch (with some big exceptions like some item names and transcriptions), and I agree with its romanizations and name changes much more as well. The patch had some dumb stuff like translating code abyss to “code avis” despite the former being on screen in full English text, then having the translators insist it was supposed to be different. And while it’s small, the guy in charge of the original patch insisting Patti, Tia, and their group’s name was a pun on Tea Party instead of Patientia resulting in lines such as “I’m Patty, this is Tea, and we’re Patty and Tia!” I don’t know why that in particular rubs me the wrong way because it’s so minor, but it always comes to mind. The patch translated item descriptions which is definitely better than the global version, but I didn’t appreciate when they’d add their own commentary into them about how unlucky you were to get that drop or whatever.

The actual Sega story localization script is fine for the most part, but one problem you can hear is that the voice direction is clearly non-existent. Names like Alis are pronounced differently depending on the character speaking, and intonation is all kinds of weird because the actors are presumably just reading their lines off a piece of paper with zero context. Cressida’s line that she says when you approach her in the lobby is “Oh, you,” said like you’re an old friend of hers that made a joke in the global version, but the line is supposed to be read like “Oh, [it’s] you.”

It’s kind of like a much less lovely version of Cyber Sleuth’s localization, if anyone here’s played that.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

That’s a good point. The fact they used the term Luminmechs is suspicious too.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It really is a terrible name. Even something like Luminoids or Prismechs would sound better and still get the point across. But yes Globots is best

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So I tried logging on for the first time in a while and now the game won’t start. Right after the Gameguard splash screen it just... doesn’t run. I tried restarting my computer, reinstalling it, using the tweaker, reinstalling it with the tweaker, pressing all of the troubleshooting options in the tweaker, turning off all my antivirus/firewall stuff and doing that stuff again. Nothing.

Anyone else had this problem before? If so, how did you fix it?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

While PSO2 is fun it's also very much a game with Dreamcast era design and structure and boy does it show its age in that regard. Even friends I played PSO with (usually splitscreen on Gamecube) have a hard time getting in to PSO2 because the game just feels ancient.

If it's regular PSO2 try installing through a storefront directly and don't mess with the Tweaker because it's not actually necessary at this point. Maybe run as admin as well (shouldn't be necessary though)?

Igor it on Steam and used it directly from there for like 8 or 9 months. I actually only downloaded the Tweaker once I tried everything else, but it didn’t make a difference. I guess I could try downloading the Windows store version but at this point I think the issue might be Gameguard itself.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well, I downloaded the Windows Store version and it works for me. Steam one still doesn’t run after the Gameguard splash screen. Who fuckin knows what’s going on.

Also I don’t care about Sword Art Online, bring back the cool PSO anniversary event that I missed, SEGA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Okay, here’s what I got this time:

PSO2 New Genesis: It’s Called New Mega Drive in Europe

PSO2 New Genesis: Diablo May Crynicles X

PSO2 New Genesis: The Whole New World

PSO2 New Genesis: I Love It When You Call Me Bigg Frogga