Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm looking forward to loving myself out of the whole campaign at like day 8 due to my poor life choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

ZearothK posted:

Both OP's have to travel to Kansas and knifefight in front of Lowtax until he decrees enough blood has been shed for him to make a decision.

Both OPs have to travel to the Russian steppe and knifefight in front of a bull statue untill the Earth decrees enough blood has been shed for them to make a decision.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I never played the original because of hearing how rough it is but I was interested enough to chip in to the kickstarter. I'm excited to experience this series for the first time soon.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

youcallthatatwist posted:

Oh, I didn't see that this thread already existed when i made mine. Glad people are interested in the game though!

What's, uh... what's the protocol for these situations

I like a lot of the stuff in your OP and would merge the material when I get home this evening if you want to close yours, but the other way around would be fine as well. I leave the choice in your hands, oynon

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Lucinice posted:

I never played the original because of hearing how rough it is but I was interested enough to chip in to the kickstarter. I'm excited to experience this series for the first time soon.

Good news! Pathologic HD is $1.30 right now as one of the Weekly Sale games on Steam right now!

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 20, 2019

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Archenteron posted:

Good news! Pathologic HD is $1.30 right now as one of the Weekly Sale games on Steam right now!

I actually got the tier that got me a copy of Pathologic HD but I saw a review that like over half the game is very slowly walking around and I though maybe the original wouldn't be right for me.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

I like a lot of the stuff in your OP and would merge the material when I get home this evening if you want to close yours, but the other way around would be fine as well. I leave the choice in your hands, oynon

Sure that sounds good, this one's more active anyway.

So thread, if you played the original, who was your favorite character? Mine would probably be either aspity or aglaya

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I really like Aspity too, she has an interesting role in all the characters' stories and is one of the few characters with a good idea on what's going on.

I feel my Haruspex playthrough was so grueling at times that I can't help but feel a certain gratitude for the characters who helped him particularly Big Vlad, Capella and Notkin.

[edit]Felt maybe that was spoilery, but to be fair all those three and their alliance to Artemy are introduced pretty early in the first day anyway.

[edit-edit]

The Masks posted:

The play will begin at 10am PST (Los Angeles / Seattle) / 10pm Moscow time. Don't be late.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 21, 2019

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

tinyBuild put up a preview of the art book. Thinking about buying it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I was going to buy the art book but then I went to activate my keys and saw it was already included in the early bird backer tier. It’s almost certain to own :cool:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RPS didn't like it, it seems to be as harsh survival game as the original

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

It's out! Downloading now. I read through the RPS article below and it seems like they just hate the survival elements, which were always there in the original and I kind of liked so I'm optimistic. I liked the demo enough, even if I didn't play it too much.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. Most of the reviews don't seem to like the fact it's, by design, a hellish survival game.

I'm waiting for the PS4 version, so I can't comment on whether they've actually messed it up or the game's just a very acquired taste.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I still can't get a key through the backer website. It's quite frustrating.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. Most of the reviews don't seem to like the fact it's, by design, a hellish survival game.

I'm waiting for the PS4 version, so I can't comment on whether they've actually messed it up or the game's just a very acquired taste.

This is going to be a bitch of a game to review. I played some of it yesterday, I'll be writing it up for Bloody Disgusting, and its opening hour or so is probably the single most surreal experience I've had in a game since Silent Hill 2. The first ten minutes are a flashback level and the next twenty are a nested series of what may or may not be interlocking dream sequences.

I think it's going to end up like Deadly Premonition, where it's got some poo poo you've really got to see regardless of its actual quality. I can also think of nothing that would ruin it quite so much as watching a Let's Play, as the sense of personal isolation and silence is crucial to the experience.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Wanderer posted:

This is going to be a bitch of a game to review. I played some of it yesterday, I'll be writing it up for Bloody Disgusting, and its opening hour or so is probably the single most surreal experience I've had in a game since Silent Hill 2. The first ten minutes are a flashback level and the next twenty are a nested series of what may or may not be interlocking dream sequences.

I think it's going to end up like Deadly Premonition, where it's got some poo poo you've really got to see regardless of its actual quality. I can also think of nothing that would ruin it quite so much as watching a Let's Play, as the sense of personal isolation and silence is crucial to the experience.

It sounds like an Ice Pick Lodge game. They never make anything too conventional and it's always a surreal experience.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think the biggest thing I'm curious about is how they're handling the adherents this time, especially with the other characters not in yet. Functionallly it wouldn't need to change though I suppose

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

How do you save?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I think the biggest thing I'm curious about is how they're handling the adherents this time, especially with the other characters not in yet. Functionallly it wouldn't need to change though I suppose

I've just started, but there's a menu section for BONE and a section for BLOOD which I assume are similar to adherents. They don't all get shown at once, unlike in the original. I might be completely wrong though. BLOOD so far is just a single family member and BONE is an old friend.

Edit:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How do you save?

Clocks. They seem to be scattered about. I found one in a warehouse.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How do you save?

To add to what Hobojim said, they seem to be common in Adherents' houses. Just keep following the quests and you will find your first.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So what's the ingame backer code do? I'm still downloading the game

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Only thing I know for now is that there are no "main quests" in the same vein as there were in the original, so failing doesn't lead to your bound getting infected necessarily.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Finally, Pathologic 2 has at long last come out. Three years from the expected date two more since the announcement.
My god the Russian recession is a poo poo.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

Cowman posted:

I still can't get a key through the backer website. It's quite frustrating.

If you're having problems registering for the site they probably sent you the backer code through email.
If it's actually trying to get a key of the site you just go to one of the tabs on your profile page and click on which store you want your key for, either GOG or Steam.
Anything else then I'd suggest just messaging them.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Cowman posted:

It sounds like an Ice Pick Lodge game. They never make anything too conventional and it's always a surreal experience.

IMO games like these always get me regardless of mechanics so cheat engine!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dead gay comedy forums posted:

IMO games like these always get me regardless of mechanics so cheat engine!

The devs released a step by step guide to not lose for the original game and if you followed it to the letter then right before the ending a dev message would tell you congratulations but try taking a risk next time (you'd see the ending anyway). :v:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think part of the reason they did that was because the translation ranged from tolerable but funny to complete nonsense

edit: can you guys figure out which thread we're using and use it

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 24, 2019

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Verviticus posted:

i think part of the reason they did that was because the translation ranged from tolerable but funny to complete nonsense

edit: can you guys figure out which thread we're using and use it

The Imp-Zone thread.

First day impressions:

I am really enjoying it! Caveat that I've played every Ice-pick Lodge game, so, you know, this is my poison. I kind of want to run around meeting characters and seeing their re-designs. Town is surprisingly familiar for a place I haven't really visited in a decade.

I liked all the plotting changes they've done, the introduction eases you very smoothly into the game, since you get a bunch of tutorials and guiding hands through the first day. I think the only thing they don't really explain very well is the Hobo Economy, which is basically "go through the trash. Give children sharp things, get bullets and drugs. Also give drunks fresh water in exchange for bandages". There is fast travel, a functional journal (including a special vision that highlights locations to help you navigate and shows what NPC's have something interesting to say). The theatre motiff is even stronger now, specially with the dream sequences.

Caveats, hand to hand combat is pretty awkward and the exhaustion/hunger/thirst/infection bars are meant to keep you constantly on edge. I haven't gotten into the plague days where the game really pushes the survival elements in, so I don't know how harsh it gets¹, but this is 2019 and cheat engine exists if you're in for the story but hate survival games.

¹I did accumulate enough food to last about three days by day 1's evening, but I am also leaning hard on my first game experience. Water is mostly a non-existent problem (it is a limiter to stamina, but water sources are plentiful and you won't really need to use bottles to drink unless you're spending a long time in infected areas) and exhaustion is mostly an invitation to heal (and have fun dreams) by taking some morphine before calling it kip. Haven't been infected yet, so we'll see how that works yet.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

ZearothK posted:

The Imp-Zone thread.

First day impressions:

I am really enjoying it! Caveat that I've played every Ice-pick Lodge game, so, you know, this is my poison. I kind of want to run around meeting characters and seeing their re-designs. Town is surprisingly familiar for a place I haven't really visited in a decade.

I liked all the plotting changes they've done, the introduction eases you very smoothly into the game, since you get a bunch of tutorials and guiding hands through the first day. I think the only thing they don't really explain very well is the Hobo Economy, which is basically "go through the trash. Give children sharp things, get bullets and drugs. Also give drunks fresh water in exchange for bandages". There is fast travel, a functional journal (including a special vision that highlights locations to help you navigate and shows what NPC's have something interesting to say). The theatre motiff is even stronger now, specially with the dream sequences.
I mean for the hobo economy thing there's like some random extras around arguing that you possibly would come across and they would basically explain parts of it.
Really, with the amounts of quality of life this game has in comparison with the first makes this already a better game in general.
Also that intro for the haruspex is loving amazing with the hello darkness song. :toot:

quote:

Caveats, hand to hand combat is pretty awkward
Aye, the combat is fairly awkward, it's hard to tell if you did anything to a guy until he collapses.
Also the voice acting for the extras is off putting, like most of the lines are said in such a monotone manner I'm not sure if IPL is doing it to further cement the extras as forgettable background scenery but it's noticeable.

I like that the game notices if you're completing things really fast. It spawned a couple tragedians, two of them playing mimed baseball and one of them telling you to take a break since you're doing everything really fast.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for this thread, probably would never have heard about this game otherwise. I checked it out and I am hooked! Really underestimated how difficult things were going to be. I thought I would be fine after creating my peanut and marbles empire and swindling all the street urchins, but I may have spread myself too thin and now im not sure what to do. I haven't played the original yet, but I assume it's not uncommon to play yourself into a position that you cant continue from even if you die? I know that if I start over I'll do a lot better and get much further than my current playthrough but I was really hoping I could scrape by while going in completely blind.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Thanks for this thread, probably would never have heard about this game otherwise. I checked it out and I am hooked! Really underestimated how difficult things were going to be. I thought I would be fine after creating my peanut and marbles empire and swindling all the street urchins, but I may have spread myself too thin and now im not sure what to do. I haven't played the original yet, but I assume it's not uncommon to play yourself into a position that you cant continue from even if you die? I know that if I start over I'll do a lot better and get much further than my current playthrough but I was really hoping I could scrape by while going in completely blind.

Your goal is ultimately to survive all the 12 days, keeping other people alive is a bonus. Though yeah, keeping the kids in your list alive is necessary to get one of the good endings, if it's anything like the original. I don't think anyone here has gotten to the end of the game yet to further expound on how it has changed.

Also, at what point are you? I found day 4 throws a lot of resources at the player if you get there. It is not just a boot stomping on your face forever.

Oh, and there is another Pathologic thread. It's up to you to figure out which is the disease and which is the cure.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
Is this thread dead?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

All the Pathologic discussion is in this thread instead: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889956&pagenumber=28&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
this game is on sale for 50% off for the next day and everyone should get it

edit: what the hell i thought i was posting in the other thread. oh well whatever