Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Hey Goons, I mostly post in CC, but I've just recently started a project where I've been drawing various cars. Jack B Nimble suggested that I crosspost here, since a few of you might be interested.

I've never really drawn cars. Some kids only drew cars growing up, but I was never one of them. I guess it was a combination of not being interested and the perspective and lines needing to be precise. So I decided to focus on them for a while in an attempt to get better.
You'll notice my early ones are very rough, but I've slowly been improving during the past two weeks or so and getting more comfortable with the shapes and perspective and more confident with my lines. These were all originally posted in the Daily Drawings & Doodles thread over at CC. I've been trying to draw at least 1-2 cars each morning.

If anyone wants me to attempt to draw their favorite car, let me know! I'm open to suggestions. I've also been thinking about branching out to motorcycles and maybe even some engines.

Don't remember what kind of car this was...

1967 Toyota 2000GT

1969 Toyota Corona

1968 Mustang

1973 Datsun 610 Bluebird

1968 Mazda Cosmo Sport

1964 Chevy Corvair (because I love the Science Patrol's car from the 1966 Ultraman series)

1974 AMC Hornet

1973 Ford Falcon XB GT

The following drawings were done after Easter. My hand was cramping up after grating cheese for an enormous pot of mac and cheese for my parent's Easter party. Two of those huge blocks of cheese from Costco. So some of the following drawings suffered a bit from my cheese injury.

1971 Lancia 2000

1975 Skoda 110

1985 Renault Espace

The Samurai was better because I left it looser to accommodate my hand not being up to par. Profiles of cars are harder for me than the ones in 3/4 views or perspective, so I decided to focus on the profiles after these couple.

1986 Chrysler Laser

1986 Suzuki Samurai

[/quote]

My hand is doing better after the '19 Macaroni Incident. Still cramped up towards the end of the following two drawings, but it's manageable.

1981 Chevy Chevette

1973 AMC Gremlin X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Those are pretty good, I used to fill notebooks with car drawings as a kid, usually dumb imaginary poo poo that not even a JEGS shareholder could love but it was fun.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was sure you read this sub forum because who decides to draw a Chevette; regardless I'm glad you posted these here.

Since you asked for suggestions, and since I really like these - the line work is so clean and the aesthetic of the blue pencil is striking, I'll take you up on the motorcycle and suggest a 2019 Triumph t100.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was sure you read this sub forum because who decides to draw a Chevette; regardless I'm glad you posted these here.

Since you asked for suggestions, and since I really like these - the line work is so clean and the aesthetic of the blue pencil is striking, I'll take you up on the motorcycle and suggest a 2019 Triumph t100.

Haha, I've just been going through lists of cars by decade to choose the cars, honestly. I didn't want to only draw muscle cars or luxury cars, etc, so I've tried to mix it up. I've only poked around this forum just a bit before.

Thanks for the compliment, and since you asked first so I'll take a shot at the Triumph tomorrow morning!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Far from the coolest car in the world, I can't help but love every single detail of the BMW M2 coupe. It is a fun and fast and cool vehicle that makes me smile and is the Best color

You are very talented and have a cool personal style and it would be really neat to see my favorite car in your technique

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Okay, motorcycles are waaaay more difficult than cars to draw! Lots of perspective and ellipses to throw everything off. And the engine is a PIA jigsaw puzzle.
I think I was fairly successful, but it'll take some more practice with drawing them to work everything out.

2019 Triumph t100

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Far from the coolest car in the world, I can't help but love every single detail of the BMW M2 coupe. It is a fun and fast and cool vehicle that makes me smile and is the Best color

You are very talented and have a cool personal style and it would be really neat to see my favorite car in your technique

Hey, thanks! This was the first modern car I've tried drawing, and it was also very challenging. I think I've only drawn cars from the 60's, 70's and 80's so far, so this skips a few decades. Tons of angles and folds on the front of the car that aren't on any of those earlier cars. Like the Triumph, I wasn't entirely successful, but I think I'll get better at drawing modern cars with more practice.

2017 BMW M2 Coupe

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They both look great; and yeah a motorcycle (without farings) is like a car without a hood, with all those intricate engine bits.

Thanks for posting them, this thread's a sort of crossover, which is cool.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Those are both awesome!! Super cool to see your style on a very modern car (and a motorcycle!)

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

They both look great; and yeah a motorcycle (without farings) is like a car without a hood, with all those intricate engine bits.

Thanks for posting them, this thread's a sort of crossover, which is cool.

Thanks! Of course I see all the flaws and inaccuracies, but I'm hoping to get quicker and more precise after some more drawings under my belt.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Those are both awesome!! Super cool to see your style on a very modern car (and a motorcycle!)

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! Drawing a modern car was more difficult that I expected, but I guess it makes sense given how different they are now from 30 years ago or whatever.

If you guys have any other suggestions, let me know! Or if anyone else has a favorite car or bike they want to throw out there, too.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Flip books with stick man animation going into cars and then rockets and blowing up was a staple of my doodling. :derp:

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Zeluth posted:

Flip books with stick man animation going into cars and then rockets and blowing up was a staple of my doodling. :derp:

Haha, drawing flip books was super fun! I used to do that all the time.

Here's a '69 Corvette that okay-ish. I lost me reference picture halfway through, which didn't help.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

heavy liquid posted:

If you guys have any other suggestions, let me know! Or if anyone else has a favorite car or bike they want to throw out there, too.

I think it would be kind of cool if you did a few AI owned cars, I suggest my Baja or anything else that fits your fancy as featured in my thread

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I still was trying to figure out the very first car in the OP, does anybody know what it is? Great choices so far.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CVCC?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Charles posted:

I still was trying to figure out the very first car in the OP, does anybody know what it is? Great choices so far.

I was leaning towards a pre-facelift Renault 12, but afaik they never came with fender mirrors?

But that Honda sure looks the part.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Bajaha posted:

I think it would be kind of cool if you did a few AI owned cars, I suggest my Baja or anything else that fits your fancy as featured in my thread

Hey, your Baja is a cool car and was pretty fun to draw! Sorry it's so sketchy... the newer cars are more difficult than the older cars for me to draw, because there's a lot more going on style-wise with them. So it takes me longer to find the lines, and I still manage to end up throwing some perspective stuff off. I think it's getting a bit easier, though.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Love it!

Some of the brand new toyota stuff would be a challenge, they've gone full AGGRESSIVE body lines, just look at a new prius or C-HR or any of the gaping maw lexuses (lexii?). 80's was all about that box and 90's was bubble, and modern stuff got tall belt lines and more styling junk to avoid just having a large slab side or front. Headlights also became more complex inside and I like how you included the projector and its shroud in the light of my Baja.

Out of curiosity, where do you usually start when you're facing a blank page?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Bajaha posted:

Love it!

Some of the brand new toyota stuff would be a challenge, they've gone full AGGRESSIVE body lines, just look at a new prius or C-HR or any of the gaping maw lexuses (lexii?). 80's was all about that box and 90's was bubble, and modern stuff got tall belt lines and more styling junk to avoid just having a large slab side or front. Headlights also became more complex inside and I like how you included the projector and its shroud in the light of my Baja.

Out of curiosity, where do you usually start when you're facing a blank page?

Thanks! Yeah, it's going to be challenging to tackle some of those modern cars for exactly those reasons you've mentioned. That's the reason I started out with older cars. I figured I could try and get comfortable doing those before moving up to the more difficult models. The front of new Honda Civics looks like it would be fun to draw, too. I've been thinking about tackling it.

When facing a blank page: Through trial and error, I've found that sketching light perspective lines first is the best way for me to start. All the lines of the car should be running along them at those angles. Then I'll slowly build up the body, usually adding the cabin and windshield, and then the wheels. I definitely need more practice with wheels... maybe I'll do a couple days of just wheels.

Anyway, I took a shot at your Porsche Carrera, which was fun. It wasn't as simple as it seems, and I'm still off in a few places... I also ran out of paper for the rear of the car after adjusting some proportions.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Porche's decision to make a CUV has never looked better.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Back when I was 14-15 I drew lots of cars. Actually I didn't just do that, I invented whole model lines, with trim levels, engine types, paint jobs for the racing versions, logos... One time my dad said he was going to send one to a friend of his who wrote for one of the car magazines. I was horribly embarrassed - can't remember if he ever actually did it, though. Anyway it's good to find a kindred spirit of sorts. The Datsun 610 looks really good in your style.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Back when I was 14-15 I drew lots of cars. Actually I didn't just do that, I invented whole model lines, with trim levels, engine types, paint jobs for the racing versions, logos... One time my dad said he was going to send one to a friend of his who wrote for one of the car magazines. I was horribly embarrassed - can't remember if he ever actually did it, though. Anyway it's good to find a kindred spirit of sorts. The Datsun 610 looks really good in your style.

Thanks! I was mostly drawing elves and dragons and superheroes when I was 14-15, never cars. So I'm playing catch-up now to get better. I'd like to get comfortable enough drawing cars where I can start mixing and matching models and inventing own trims like you were. I think I'm almost there.

hattersmad's Mazda MS3 from the MZR Thread:

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Spent the morning sketching tires, which I think turned out to be a good idea. I figured out a few things regarding the tread and some other details that I hadn't noticed before.

I may take a break soon from drawing cars, since I've been drawing them for about 3 weeks now. So if anyone has any requests, let me know now!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nice Mazda 3, they're widely considered one of the better looking "normal" cars.

If you're wrapping up, maybe you could draw something weirder, like one of the cars from Mad Max Fury Road: they're all real vehicles with lots of photos online.

Edit: If the cars look too detailed/intricate for a daily sketch, Max's "interceptor" is both iconic and simpler visually than other vehicles like the "war rig".

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 1, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Nice Mazda 3, they're widely considered one of the better looking "normal" cars.

If you're wrapping up, maybe you could draw something weirder, like one of the cars from Mad Max Fury Road: they're all real vehicles with lots of photos online.

Edit: If the cars look too detailed/intricate for a daily sketch, Max's "interceptor" is both iconic and simpler visually than other vehicles like the "war rig".

That's a good idea! I'll take a shot at something from Fury Road tomorrow. I also drew the 1973 Ford Falcon XB GT in the first post as a tribute to the first two Mad Max movies. :)

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Okay! These are both still fairly sketchy/rough, but I think they turned out alright. I spent about 30 min on each one.

The Gigahorse - A deranged amalgamation of two 1959 Cadillac Coupe De Ville's ripped apart and welded back together, the Gigahorse is then mounted onto a truck chassis and powered by two supercharged V8s positioned adjacent to one another.

The Buggy #9, based on the Perentti which, itself, takes cues from the Corvette. Of course there is also a gun strapped to the roof.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

heavy liquid posted:

I may take a break soon from drawing cars, since I've been drawing them for about 3 weeks now. So if anyone has any requests, let me know now!

Too late to do my weird old bucket? :ohdear:

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Too late to do my weird old bucket? :ohdear:

It's not too late! I put away my blue pencil and sketchbook and decided to go color on t he iPad. It made some things easier (erasing) but took longer to try and get right.
The front corner of the car is chopped off in your pic, so I had to guess. What kind of car is it, by the way? BMW, right? Hope you like it...

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

heavy liquid posted:

It's not too late! I put away my blue pencil and sketchbook and decided to go color on t he iPad. It made some things easier (erasing) but took longer to try and get right.
The front corner of the car is chopped off in your pic, so I had to guess. What kind of car is it, by the way? BMW, right? Hope you like it...

That is awesome! Too bad it takes longer but I like that style of artwork. Makes me wish I had a customized automobile that you could sketch up like that.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

heavy liquid posted:

Goddamn, this owns so hard, thank you. Yeah it's an E21 BMW (75-83 3 series, this one's a pile of 77 and 83 parts mashed together), the grille on the driver's side has a hole similar to the one the filter's poking out of (they were both headlights before I got silly with it) but yeah, a proper pic inside that garage is more or less impossible and I can't pull it out right now because I've got a bunch of stuff blown apart so, sorry I was a kind of crappy muse. You still hit it clean out of the park though, love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Thanks Modus and you're welcome NumbersMatching! I'm glad you like it! Not too big a deal about the picture being cut off, I think enough was there for me to guess the rest of it. That's pretty neat it's a E21 mishmash of 77 & 83. My kid pointed to the filter while I was drawing your car and asked what was sticking out of it, but I didn't know. But it does makes it look cool!

I think it took a bit over 2 hours to do? So not too bad. I'll admit I used the photo as an underlay to get some of the lines right, and to get the picture done a bit more quickly. I should be able to get away from doing that with more practice. I kind of fell back to the graphic outline style I use for portraits and figures, and it was fun to try it out on a car. Especially since I'm getting more comfortable with drawing them.

ex. a couple of my non-car like these:

Anyway, if anyone wants me to experiment on their car, let me know!