Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Grumper Kneeling - Gnomeling Thief (Hemopheliac, Strange Body Odor)

Firgus McDaniels - Gnome Titan Fighter (Loss of Eye, No Depth Perception, Emnity toward Half Elves)

Cupple Splinter - Gnome Magic User (Tone Deaf, Chintzy Mentor)

Bowls Supe - Halfling Cleric (Mute, Psychotic Aversion to Rangers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Banana Man posted:

Bowls Supe - Halfling Cleric (Mute, Psychotic Aversion to Rangers)

:thunk:

I'd really like to see a mute Cleric give a sermon about his Deity.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

"Now, as you go forth into the Reach, remember to represent the Amazon's guild values. Our clients wish to receive excellent service, and you four are bringing more than ancient heirlooms and lost villagers back. You bring the good name of the Amazon Guild. I expect you all to give a full 110% as members of this team. Together, we will make this undertaking a wild and profitable success. Now, Rhae, for the sake of accountability, I will expect you to keep a detailed logging of all the time that is spent on your Amazon Guild Duties. This is not done to control or punish, simply to help optimize your functioning within the organization."

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

An elderly man enters the Mark, eyeing the adventurers and placing his hands over theirs one by one. As he removes his hand, a gem is revealed, and it slowly sinks into their skin.

You all can sense, through this stone, the exact location of your party members and their surroundings and circumstances. The old man departs. In the event your group loses all of their left hands this ability will be gone, but those chances seem unlikely right?

The adventuring groups depart the Mark never to be seen again.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Banana Man posted:

An elderly man enters the Mark, eyeing the adventurers and placing his hands over theirs one by one. As he removes his hand, a gem is revealed, and it slowly sinks into their skin.

You all can sense, through this stone, the exact location of your party members and their surroundings and circumstances. The old man departs. In the event your group loses all of their left hands this ability will be gone, but those chances seem unlikely right?

The adventuring groups depart the Mark never to be seen again.

In true Hackmaster fashion, I have to wonder if we can still sense the left hands after they've been cut off. In any case, the Secundus' Seekers now have standing orders to collect the left hands of any of their fallen comrades to provide proof of death and receive their death benefits.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Day 1 Resolution - Ongoing
I will typically post updates per adventuring party; at the beginning there aren't alot of reasons for the different groups to fight each other just yet so it will be a bit touch and go while i get the necessaries set up.

Secundus' Seekers

Mal' Kaeln - Gray Elf Fighter (Gambling Addiction, Nearsighted)

Kelping Heely - Gray Elf Brigand (Farsighted, Mute)

Wraith Molor - Gray Elf Fighter (Hemopheliac, Braggart)

Tree Scrubs - Gray Elf Elementalist (Nagging Conscience, Sadistic)

The Seekers day was largely uneventful; tracking through wilderness that proved to be challenging, they narrowly avoided running into a group of 12 Trollkin Auxillaries about 9:30pm on day 1 in 003.008; it was fortunate because these half-human/half-troll hybrids are horribly suicidal berserkers and rely on their amazing regenerative powers to win battles.

I rolled for their honor, and ultimately the Seekers were not suicidal in defending their honor; they took a hit to it for hiding but survived another day.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
An auspicious start.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Banana Man posted:

:thunk: Is this why the place is called 'The Mark'?

Banana Man posted:

I rolled for their honor, and ultimately the Seekers were not suicidal in defending their honor; they took a hit to it for hiding but survived another day.

Good thing too, these trolls would have wiped 'The Seekers' out and then ate them for a snack.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Day 1 Continued

Sacred Band of the Exalted Lotus

Orville McFopperbottom - Gnome Fighter (Loss of Eye, No Depth Perception, Trick Knee, Easily Dehydrated, Acute Allergies to Cats)

Regar Horg - Human Fighter (Farsighted, Chronic Liar, Major Depression, Hacklust)

Ark Tane - Human Cleric (Nearsighted, Psychotic Aversion to Rust Monsters, Excessive Drooling, Nervous Tic, Male Pattern Baldness, Narcolepsy)

Glitter Sparkles - Pixie Fairie Painted Mage (Gambling Addiction, Wasteful Mentor, Stutter)

The SBED's journey was uneventful; the ground was easy to cross, and even delays by Regar Horg were easily surpassed (he had a bout of depression and rolled in the fields refusing to move for a while). Ark Tane took the opportunity to dry his tunic due to all the drooling from the night before.

Tremendous Deals!, Ultd.

The Scruffler - Human Fighter (Sleep Walker, Truthful)

Reginald Loaf - Human Thief (Chronic Liar, Chronic Nightmares)

Aarton Bork - Human Cleric (Major Epileptic Seizures, Scoliosis)

Vaugh Thagh - Human Magic-User (Recluse, Greedy)

Tremendous Deal's 1st foray was also quiet and relaxing. Everyone wearily eyeballed each other, waiting for their different issues to come to head...but none did, and it was a relaxing evening.

More to come.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Day 1 Continued

The Amazon Guild

Rhae Ayne - Human Shaman (Obnoxious, Excessive Drooling)

Aries - Human Thief (Truthful, Alcoholic)

Kestrus Wes - Human Fighter (Bad Back, Jerk)

Shar Western - Human Wizard (Animal Antipathy: Fish, Obsession: Collecting Books/Scrolls)

The Amazon Guild's first day was met with rougher terrain; and delayed as they ran into a new adventurer who seemed friendly enough. His name...however.. was hard to catch. Immediately everyone knew he talked too much but everyone was uncomfortable asking him to leave, aside from Kestrus who kept mumbling the entire time.

His rambling continued, but no one could figure out why specifically they couldn't remember anything he had said moments before. In 004.006, a group of 8 Wild Oliphants curiously checked on the group due to the strange adventurer's rambling speech. Thankfully, they just snorted and walked away. Got real lucky here, again.

Banana Man fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 6, 2019

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Banana Man posted:

Got real lucky here, again.

Eeeeeep. My Explorers are gonna get them 'bad rolls', aren't they?

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

LLSix posted:

In true Hackmaster fashion, I have to wonder if we can still sense the left hands after they've been cut off. In any case, the Secundus' Seekers now have standing orders to collect the left hands of any of their fallen comrades to provide proof of death and receive their death benefits.

Oh yeah the gems are definitely an object that exists within the world, i'd be beside myself if that wasn't abused ingame somehow.

CourValant posted:

Eeeeeep. My Explorers are gonna get them 'bad rolls', aren't they?

Very tough to say, but it is making me nervous as the good luck continues.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
This is entertaining!

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Apocron posted:

This is entertaining!

Good! It is going unfortunately slow but as I get the process smoothed out I think it will work a bit better.

As a note, I think i'm going to refrain from posting proper character sheets until someone reaches level 2, as making a pretty looking sheet is a surprising amount of effort. How is the format so far, everyone feel like it's clear enough?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Banana Man posted:

How is the format so far, everyone feel like it's clear enough?

Yep, clear enough for now, until we have to start making more decisions about 'stuff' we're hauling back from The Reach.

And leaving the character sheets until 2 Lvl makes sense too, given how lethal these encounter can be; had the dice gone the other way, we would have had two party wipes already.

Also, how do you want to handle changes to the base 'settings' for each party? I.e., say I want to adjust the days of rations being carried, or the days of rest, do you just want a post? Change the original write-up? All of the above?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Is there anything we should be doing while our adventures are out, or do we just kick back here

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Volmarias posted:

Is there anything we should be doing while our adventures are out, or do we just kick back here

We can do what we Min-Maxing RP Grogs always do; we can post poorly written in-character 'mood-pieces' and try to engage each other in 'Drama'.

"I Put on My Robe and Wizard Hat."

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

CourValant posted:

Yep, clear enough for now, until we have to start making more decisions about 'stuff' we're hauling back from The Reach.

And leaving the character sheets until 2 Lvl makes sense too, given how lethal these encounter can be; had the dice gone the other way, we would have had two party wipes already.

Also, how do you want to handle changes to the base 'settings' for each party? I.e., say I want to adjust the days of rations being carried, or the days of rest, do you just want a post? Change the original write-up? All of the above?

Yeah for updates I’ll just say the stone allows communication 1/day with your party (after they move) so updates to your orders could work then.

Also yup while waiting for your adventurers to do stuff nothing is required though the odd post reminds me you are interested in the game still haha. I might introduce more stuff as I get a handle on running the rest

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'd even go as far as to say I'm happy with no character sheets. The pictures and updates are enough for me if it saves you work. Plus, it kind of keeps it more like a management sim rather than actually playing the characters themselves.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
I too like not being able to optimize. The contrast of our competent robber barons trying to wrangle these absolute nutters is delightful.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I love the emergent storytelling inherent in the random events. One question though, are the events persistent? Will the trollkin and the oliphants hang around those spaces until defeated? If they do persist is there a chance for them to move around? I kind of like the discovered encounters remaining because someone might have an idea to deal with them creatively (herding the oliphants?) but it also means those places will be substantially more dangerous until dealt with.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Apocron posted:

I love the emergent storytelling inherent in the random events. One question though, are the events persistent? Will the trollkin and the oliphants hang around those spaces until defeated? If they do persist is there a chance for them to move around? I kind of like the discovered encounters remaining because someone might have an idea to deal with them creatively (herding the oliphants?) but it also means those places will be substantially more dangerous until dealt with.

The way I'm thinking of handling it, since there's no inherent rules for that in base hackmaster is just have it weighted so that if an encounter is triggered (1 in 10 in a wilderness area, checked a number of times a day based on terrain type) there's a chance it will be one of those groups already rolled depending on area. So you could run into them, or something else. By extension too, if ruins and such are rolled and its determined to be just a completely random ruin, it could always just be "Oliphant Fort 1" and that kind of thing.

Apocron posted:

I'd even go as far as to say I'm happy with no character sheets. The pictures and updates are enough for me if it saves you work. Plus, it kind of keeps it more like a management sim rather than actually playing the characters themselves.

Not Alex posted:

I too like not being able to optimize. The contrast of our competent robber barons trying to wrangle these absolute nutters is delightful.

That works for me! I'll probably just keep the honor tracking at the end of each day as a competition meter as the relevant stat, and then I'll just keep it vague and just have it ranked.

Banana Man fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 7, 2019

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Day 1, continued

Elena's Ebullient Explorers

Firp Wood - Half Elf Fighter (Acute Allergies, Sleepwalker)

Abar Ra - Grel Elf Wild Mage (Emnity to Half Orcs, Greedy)

Chap Peterson - Human Cleric (Rapid Aging, Nearsighted)

Furt Long - Dwarf Thief (Suspicious Mannersism: Prefers shady looking outfits, Clingy)

EEE's start was the most fruitful, passing through a desert and stopping outside an ominous Ruined Castle in 001.011. Staircases descended but none were eager to start into it before rest. Still, unless otherwise persuaded, they would probably try to delve into the structure below. Who knew how long the tunnels ran for?

Black Keys

Hursier Longwalk - Gnome Thief (Animal Antipathy: Horses, Shaky Hands)

Walter Stabbing - Human Assassin (Precious Metal Allergy: Copper, Tone Deaf)

The Annihilators - Human Infiltrator (Double Leg Amputee, Multiple Personalities: Pixie Fairie, Middle Aged Human Woman, Elderly Human Man, Indentured Servant, Elderly Woman, Young Woman; none are aware of each other)

Crapple Smith - Gnomeling Thief (Flatulent, Stutter)

The Black Keys initial journey was hampered incredibly by the Annihilators; toward the end of the day the Pixie Fairie personality dominated and they kept trying to fly and rolled (unharmed) into a ravine. Much of the day was spent navigating their way out of it.

Night Unicorn Trading

Trixie Hobbuts - Pixie Fairie Thief (Nearsighted, No Depth Perception)

Aeres Whisper - Elvariel Cleric (Hearing Impared, No Depth Perception, Missing Eye, Sleep Chatter, Strange Body Odor)

Butter Freeze - Pixie Brownie Magic User (Absent Minded, Sloppy Penmanship)

Braef Hurg - Pixie Nixie Fighter (Truthful, Clingy)

NUT's journey was assisted by most of their flying abilities (note that the lakes/ponds uncovered aren't completely water filled its just a limitation of this mapping program). Again, very relaxing.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Would it be a significant investment of time to allow the Nixie to dip briefly into any ponds/lakes if it seems safe to check for anything of value? I think it may also help since I gather the Nixie needs regular dips in water or else it drowns in air.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Annihilators are going to be the death of this group but somehow manage to come out of it alive, calling it now. They'll outlive us all.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
The Annihilators is a one person party, of course they'll live.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Apocron posted:

Would it be a significant investment of time to allow the Nixie to dip briefly into any ponds/lakes if it seems safe to check for anything of value? I think it may also help since I gather the Nixie needs regular dips in water or else it drowns in air.

Yup that's all handled and taken into consideration on their daily things; basically there's a chance for underwater encounters too.

Not Alex posted:

The Annihilators is a one person party, of course they'll live.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Annihilators are going to be the death of this group but somehow manage to come out of it alive, calling it now. They'll outlive us all.

They are the hero we deserve.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Banana Man posted:

That works for me! I'll probably just keep the honor tracking at the end of each day as a competition meter as the relevant stat, and then I'll just keep it vague and just have it ranked.

Agreed; ultimately, this might be for the best as we focus on storytelling and keeping our Team of Lumptys alive, as opposed to trying to 'game' out each encounter.

No need to get too crunchy if all it does is add to your workload for not much value-add / fun.

Banana Man posted:

EEE's start was the most fruitful, passing through a desert and stopping outside an ominous Ruined Castle in 001.011. Staircases descended but none were eager to start into it before rest. Still, unless otherwise persuaded, they would probably try to delve into the structure below. Who knew how long the tunnels ran for?

Elena arched her eyebrows, even though the motion was wasted on her Team as they couldn't see her. These 'Crystal Devices' were amazing, she'd have to see how to 'acquire' a few and bring them back to Venexia; perhaps she can even persuade the 'Old Man' to make the trip back with her.

For now, she focused on the matter at hand; sending her team down into the dark where they'd likely meet a grisly and early death.

"Explorers, do be careful down there; better to report back alive with news than to die clutching gold in your hands. And, Mr. Long, please do lead the way, as your skills might well keep everyone alive."

CourValant fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 8, 2019

Cpt. Obvious
Feb 19, 2008

It is the early afternoon in the HDST offices and Chancey stumbles in late to the meeting prior to the send-off. A scent of poorly-brewed wine hangs on his breath and his hair is tussled.

"Gentlemen (gentle-beings?)... I know that the unexplored wilderness can seem a might dangerous, but I know you lads are up for it! You will be affored the best sundries and supplies that my coin can pay for, and I have utmost faith in your abilities to perform the task put before you. It's going to be a long, difficult road ahead, and some of you might not make it back, so I wish you godspeed and good fortune! And, as my elvish compatriots used to say, 'Avia ausa all siil siffi!' I'm still not entirely sure what that means, but I'm sure it's good."

A dour, bespectacled man taps his hand on a stack of papers on the table.

"Oh, and do be sure to sign off on the contracts provided prior to leaving for the excursion so your families can be fairly compensated in the event of your demise."

After some paper shuffling and hand shaking with the boss, the diminutive crew were on their way.

"Half the price of rations and all the loot? I'm a goddamn genius!"

The lawyer nods in approval halfheartedly then continues work on notarizing the contracts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

"Yes, I'm aware that I said that everything here is for sale for a negotiable price. I didn't think that I had to specify that there were certain obvious exemptions, such as myself and my lunch. No matter how hungry you are, I can all but guarantee that the tavern up the lane will suit you better."

Idly, Fatloaf wondered how the other end of his new venture was fairing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Banana Man posted:

Yeah for updates I’ll just say the stone allows communication 1/day with your party (after they move) so updates to your orders could work then.

Also yup while waiting for your adventurers to do stuff nothing is required though the odd post reminds me you are interested in the game still haha. I might introduce more stuff as I get a handle on running the rest

So, is this game still running?