Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bewbies posted:

isn't that illegal? At least at some point they made a rule that the palms of your gloves had to be fully intact

If you're allowed to be Brent Burns, you're allowed to have a glove that's falling apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Zat posted:

I love me some poo poo scheduling. Back to back games 6 and 7:

https://twitter.com/NYIslanders/status/1121259210543595520
Game 5 in NY on Sunday, Game 6 in Raleigh on Tuesday, Game 7 in NY on Wednesday. :thumbsup:

East coast travel time complaints are hilarious

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Aphrodite posted:

If you're allowed to be Brent Burns, you're allowed to have a glove that's falling apart.

I'll have you know madam that Brent Burns carries a fully licensed permit for whatever it is that he is, which the state has not yet determined other than that he doesn't pose a public hazard as long as he is fed a constant diet of *checks notes* humans.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

JawKnee posted:

East coast travel time complaints are hilarious

Raleigh to JFK is like 1 hour, lol

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Are people really afraid of Boston??? The team that barely squeaked by Toronto??!

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I know I just complained about corp Twitter accounts but I did find this to be very funny

https://twitter.com/SanJoseSharks/status/1121976843467247616

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Sorry for the lack of posting today, I got to watch the games tonight with an IRL friend and it was amazing! Mrazek has the hot hand, and the Canes look hungry for more wins.

In the AHL the regular season champs, the Charlotte Checkers, have eliminated the Providence Bruins in 4 games.

They're doing something I've never seen before, but I loving love it:

Check out @CheckersHockey’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/CheckersHockey/status/1121959120226148352?s=09

Right on the boards. Going to be intimidating for away teams to see a bunch of red X's on the wall in the house of the juggernaut.

a false posted:

fortunately it's not going to game 7, as the islanders are sweeping.

Lol look how wrong you are.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Just watched the islanders/canes highlights and boy oh boy did the isles get loving jobbed on that waved off goal

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Go Canes gently caress the islanders forever and ever amen.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://streamable.com/ay5ca

I'm still salty about this.

Look at the overhead view, Lee isn't in the crease when contact is made, and Wallmark is riding him into Mrazek.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Duke Chin posted:

Just watched the islanders/canes highlights and boy oh boy did the isles get loving jobbed on that waved off goal

Tell me how much Vegas didn't get jobbed :allears:

But yeah, because of the penalty call, they couldn't review it. This is the problem with real time officiating, you see the goalie getting taken out by a player in blue, but you may miss the player in white shoving him in to the goalie.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I don't know why the refs wouldn't call it a goal on the ice, let it get reviewed and then make their decision from there. If it was a bad goal then the review takes care of that, if it was a good goal then it stands and there is no harm to anyone.

iospace posted:

Tell me how much Vegas didn't get jobbed :allears:

The islanders didn't let up 4 goals on the following power play

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kill me now posted:

I don't know why the refs wouldn't call it a goal on the ice, let it get reviewed and then make their decision from there. If it was a bad goal then the review takes care of that, if it was a good goal then it stands and there is no harm to anyone.

Because they had initially signaled penalty on New York. The moment that Barzal (I think) touched the puck the moment the play was dead.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

iospace posted:

Because they had initially signaled penalty on New York. The moment that Barzal (I think) touched the puck the moment the play was dead.

Right they shouldn't have signaled the penalty in the first place

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hey Lumpy, want to meetup somewhere and watch a hockey sometime? I'm living in Southeast Denver right now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kill me now posted:

Right they shouldn't have signaled the penalty in the first place

Maybe you should have scored in the, oh, I don't know, time that happened after it? :allears:

e: I wouldn't be surprised, in all seriousness here, if the NHL looks into allowing video review on injuries and goaltender interference penalties after this. Injuries because of the obvious matter (whether or not the refs missed the penalty, which unfortunately happens more than overreacting), and interference because of exactly what happened last night. If that's a waived off goal due to interference but no penalty in real time, that's getting reviewed and a goal awarded.

The problem with that is you have the "inadvertent whistle" problem. Last night was pretty drat clear that "oh hey, the first Islander player to touch the puck scored immediately after getting possession", but what if there's more that touch the puck, etc.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 27, 2019

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

This is becoming the soup du jour every NHL playoffs. Something happens in 0.1 seconds realtime and everyone wildly flaps their cocks around trying to manipulate a screen grab to make it look like one guy is out there for the express purpose of earning a penalty. This isn't exclusive to the Bruins either, just hockey fans with broke brains justifying the emotional rollercoaster of the playoffs. It's like white noise at this point

This is exactly what happened to Kadri.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

This is becoming the soup du jour every NHL playoffs. Something happens in 0.1 seconds realtime and everyone wildly flaps their cocks around trying to manipulate a screen grab to make it look like one guy is out there for the express purpose of earning a penalty. This isn't exclusive to the Bruins either, just hockey fans with broke brains justifying the emotional rollercoaster of the playoffs. It's like white noise at this point

Yeah, a lot of people forget the game is called in real time except in a few defined situations (offsides and goal reviews).

e: actually if you do make a penalty reviewable, make puck over glass one (no joke, because it's probably one of the clearest defined penalties on the books on whether or not it's one. There's no wiggle room for interpretation)

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 27, 2019

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

iospace posted:

Maybe you should have scored in the, oh, I don't know, time that happened after it? :allears:

e: I wouldn't be surprised, in all seriousness here, if the NHL looks into allowing video review on injuries and goaltender interference penalties after this. Injuries because of the obvious matter (whether or not the refs missed the penalty, which unfortunately happens more than overreacting), and interference because of exactly what happened last night. If that's a waived off goal due to interference but no penalty in real time, that's getting reviewed and a goal awarded.

The problem with that is you have the "inadvertent whistle" problem. Last night was pretty drat clear that "oh hey, the first Islander player to touch the puck scored immediately after getting possession", but what if there's more that touch the puck, etc.

I would be very surprised if the ref had even made the decision to put his hand up by the time the puck was in the net on this play. It was a penalty called after the fact and probably only because the puck went in the net in the first place.

I’m not upset about it, these things happen and I think the islanders outplayed the hurricanes for the majority of the game. If they keep playing like this they will win the series.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

iospace posted:

Yeah, a lot of people forget the game is called in real time except in a few defined situations (offsides and goal reviews).

e: actually if you do make a penalty reviewable, make puck over glass one (no joke, because it's probably one of the clearest defined penalties on the books on whether or not it's one. There's no wiggle room for interpretation)

make puck over glass not a penalty and treat it as icing instead

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

fits posted:

make icing a penalty :unsmigghh:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kill me now posted:

make icing a penalty :unsmigghh:

Make icing an automatic DoPS hearing

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ear pieces on the refs, a video ref, and refs capable of admitting they're wrong and backing off bad penalties would do a lot of good.

When they show the replay proving the refs got it wrong on the jumbotron before the guy is even in the box, but the ref can't or won't budge, it doesn't do any good for anybody.

There are also some things that should be instant penalties that aren't, such as starting a scrum after the whistle 3 whistles in a row, or playing for the ducks.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

fits posted:

This!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Are people really afraid of Boston??? The team that barely squeaked by Toronto??!

Toronto is better than every other non Boston team left in these playoffs.

Twin Cinema posted:

This is exactly what happened to Kadri.

It’s unfortunate that dops doesn’t have access to 70 different video feeds in every arena and can only work off of Twitter gifs. Someone ought to do something about that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fits posted:

I'm actually fine with it as a penalty. I feel it would be way too easily abused otherwise.

Powershift posted:

Ear pieces on the refs, a video ref, and refs capable of admitting they're wrong and backing off bad penalties would do a lot of good.

When they show the replay proving the refs got it wrong on the jumbotron before the guy is even in the box, but the ref can't or won't budge, it doesn't do any good for anybody.

There are also some things that should be instant penalties that aren't, such as starting a scrum after the whistle 3 whistles in a row, or playing for the ducks.

Yeah, this would be a lot of good. One of the best moments in baseball is when Jim Joyce came out and admitted to loving up the call that blew a perfect game. It lead to the institution of replay in baseball which has helped A LOT.

e (yet again): I think a big help would be allowing linemen to call penalties.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 27, 2019

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Average out icing and puck-over-glass and make them 1-minute penalties.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Puck over the glass as a penalty is fine. Glass and out is just the most boring hockey imaginable. The risk of not being able to change isn't a huge deterrent to teams trying to dump it out of the zone. I don't want defenders trying the easiest way to kill an attacking zone setup without any real consequence.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also we need to have a rule against aliens landing on the ice and shooting the goalies, because otherwise teams could just do it all the time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

Also we need to have a rule against aliens landing on the ice and shooting the goalies, because otherwise teams could just do it all the time.

How did you find my screenplay?! :catstare:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I'm fairly sure it's legal to arm your defence in most American states.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

I'm fairly sure it's legal to arm your defence in most American states.

Castle doctrine only applies to the goalie.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powershift posted:

Castle doctrine only applies to the goalie.

They had to introduce the trapezoid after Brodeur brought a shotgun and took out anyone crossing his own blue line. He called it zebra hunting.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Aphrodite posted:

Don't worry, Mexicans rarely play hockey and we can make the walls around the rink higher.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arivia posted:

They had to introduce the trapezoid after Brodeur brought a shotgun and took out anyone crossing his own blue line. He called it zebra hunting.

Hey, if you can't defend yourself when being charged at by 5 angry panthers or sharks or penguins, there's something seriously broken in the law.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Aphrodite posted:

It’s unfortunate that dops doesn’t have access to 70 different video feeds in every arena and can only work off of Twitter gifs. Someone ought to do something about that.

Glad we could agree that Kadri's suspension was a weak call.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not even the other delusional Toronto fans agree with you.

It's really an impressive level of wrong.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I can't believe I'm now old enough to be posting about how BACK IN THE DAY all the players used to abuse the puck over the glass thing and it's their own loving fault they had to make it a penalty.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Miro Heiskanen not even in the running for the Calder Trophy. What a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

Shinjobi posted:

Miro Heiskanen not even in the running for the Calder Trophy. What a joke.

Who does he replace out of Pettersson, Dahlin or Binnington?