Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Built an IKEA bookshelf in college on the communal first floor (I think I was trying to show off or some equally stupid thing), then attempted to move it up a tiny flight of stairs by myself. I had to reach for my ID badge to unlock the door leading out of the stairwell, the shelf slipped and tumbled down the stairs. All that cheap particle board basically exploded and I was down $50.

Signed up for a "WIN A FREE CAR!" giveaway at the zoo because it seemed legit to me. Gave them my phone number and email address. Turns out it was a scam company and they called me 3+ times a day for a week and most likely sold the same info to dozens of other lovely scams.

Did pro wrestling moves with my buddies in a storage room the marching band used. Irish whipped one guy into a shelf full of empty trumpet cases which proceeded to fall down and make so much noise that we ran out of the building. The next day that room was locked with a big padlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Still, it would have been sweet to win that zoo car

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
bought an account here

For real though, stayed in a relationship with an abusive alcoholic because she convinced me I couldn't do better

A Fancy Hat posted:

Did pro wrestling moves with my buddies in a storage room the marching band used. Irish whipped one guy into a shelf full of empty trumpet cases which proceeded to fall down and make so much noise that we ran out of the building. The next day that room was locked with a big padlock.

That sounds super fun.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The dumbest things you've EVER done are build an IKEA book shelf, sign up for a contest, and not get caught doing something that hurt no one?

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yo obama be mad dummy thicc

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I once threw a bouncy ball as hard as I could at the floor (I leaped in the air, arm extended and power blasted that fucker) only for it to bounce off the ground and straight into my eye.

Kids these days don't know what they're missin' :clint:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I ate strong acid during high school, along with seven other kids. One kid flipped out and we all got caught. Cops and paramedics came, my mom came and had to take me to the hospital to get a blood test while I was tripping balls. It was not fun.

I think I mentioned in a similar thread a while back that my friends and I (not me directly) accidentally burned down a friend's garage when we were huffing gas at age 14 at 3:00 am.

I just smoke pot now FYI and I somehow became a functioning member of society despite my best efforts.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 25, 2019

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
We used to play an especially stupid game of chicken. Everyone stood in an open field and one person fired an arrow straight up in the air (field tip, not a broadhead). If you ran you were a chicken and got beat up. You couldn't see the arrow at its apex, so you usually couldn't spot it on the way down until you heard it hit.

We were really dumb teenagers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A Fancy Hat posted:

why on earth would you assume the cases were empty

schools do not keep big rooms full of empty instrument cases, things that are used to store instruments, you probably broke a significant amount of poo poo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

schools do not keep big rooms full of empty instrument cases

Hey, Captain Gold Bricks, not all of us went to private school for diamond mine owners where everyone's parents drove name brand cars and we ate food for lunch

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was born

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
picked up a full 5 gallon diesel jug with a lit cig hanging out of my mouth

my coworker was like "DUDE...thats the most redneck thing I've ever seen HAhah!"

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Shaving with a cheap razor and got an itch on the tip of my nose, and without thinking I scratched at it with the blade, taking a reasonable slice off and I had to walk around with an unmissable giant gross scab in the middle of my face.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
When I was like 9 had great idea to go up this huge hill by my friends house and I would put on rollerblades and hold onto the back of his bike while he pedaled full speed down the hill.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I dropped out of college. Currently fixing that fuckup. Nearly done. Kinda depressing that my life is barely starting and I'm almost 30... better late than never I guess.

Also picked up a drinking habit while working the depressing poo poo jobs you get with no degree. That was a dumb fuckin one I need to work on fixing but I don't have the will just yet.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 25, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

my coworker was like "DUDE...thats the most redneck thing I've ever seen HAhah!"

- Coworker's last words before untimely death in freak "5 gallon diesel jug explosion" incident.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I mean, it's loving diesel. You can put out a cigarette in it and it probably won't catch. I wouldn't do it mind you, probably fine isn't good enough for me.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 25, 2019

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

PhotoKirk posted:

We used to play an especially stupid game of chicken. Everyone stood in an open field and one person fired an arrow straight up in the air (field tip, not a broadhead). If you ran you were a chicken and got beat up. You couldn't see the arrow at its apex, so you usually couldn't spot it on the way down until you heard it hit.

Isn't that a subplot of an episode of the sopranos

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I did your mom op

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

Driving drunk, accruing a boat load of student loan debt, doing uppers or having sex with some pretty skanky women are on the list. I’m sure there’s more

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

Standing around a large barrel of acetone while making hash with a lit joint hanging from a friend's mouth. It took several minutes for someone to go "hey that's probably not a good idea"

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

bloom posted:

Standing around a large barrel of acetone while making hash with a lit joint hanging from a friend's mouth. It took several minutes for someone to go "hey that's probably not a good idea"

Get blazed while getting blazed.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Resting Lich Face posted:

I dropped out of college. Currently fixing that fuckup. Nearly done. Kinda depressing that my life is barely starting and I'm almost 30... better late than never I guess.

Also picked up a drinking habit while working the depressing poo poo jobs you get with no degree. That was a dumb fuckin one I need to work on fixing but I don't have the will just yet.

I hosed up college too. I dropped out my second year and unfortunately never looked back. It's a major regret but I never liked school and was a terrible student starting in elementary school.

I spent eight years after college working retail and thought I was doomed to making $9.50 an hour. Thankfully my wife did have a degree and she started working for a major (at the time) website company, where she was able to land me a job doing tech support for their site users. I started teaching myself some basic web language stuff during that time and worked my way into a rather niche profession. I make a good salary, and I work from home three consecutive days each week with a good chance of going full remote. It's more than I deserve and I'm not bragging because it was all luck.

I suffer greatly from imposter syndrome and I don't look forward to the day when my kids may not want to go to college or something and I have to tell them how important it is. I can tell them how much I regret my decision and they can say I've done just fine despite my bad choices.

You'll be okay. Good on you for finishing your degree. You won't regret it when you're 42 like me and people are talking about college and degrees and they ask what your major was and you feel like a schmuck.

P.S. I also became a heavy drinker like you but I did manage to cut that down recently. I didn't want a divorce to become another major regret so I cut out the daily drinking.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 25, 2019

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xtra Innings Lovin posted:

Driving drunk, accruing a boat load of student loan debt, doing uppers or having sex with some pretty skanky women are on the list. I’m sure there’s more

^^This, along with suffering third degree burns and treating them myself instead of seeing a doctor.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

One particularly dry Fourth of July I decided a clever workaround for fire safety was to have keep the pyrotechnics on a lake. So I built a small, ramshackle boat and loaded it with a bunch of old fireworks and lighter fluid. My friends showed up and threw in everything inflammable they could think of to add to the boom when the time came. The idea was that we'd rig up a long fuse and I'd take the paddleboat and tow our little barge into the middle, light it and run.

It... kinda worked. The boat was meant to burn, explode and sink. No fuss, no muss. Instead, it just turned into a floating bonfire that, for some reason, remained otherwise seaworthy. I quickly realized that if it was allowed to drift ashore, it might catch surrounding foliage on fire. So the entire rest of the night was spent trying to sink this vengeful viking funeral of defective fireworks.

At first we piled onto the paddleboat and tried throwing rocks at it, then taking long sticks and trying to break it apart. This wasn't a one-sided exchange either. Not all the fireworks had failed to go off, so occasionally a bottle rocket would actually launch from the drat thing in our direction. After a while we resigned ourselves to just keeping it in the middle of the lake until it sank. Eventually it burned down to the waterline and we could safely approach and finish it off.

Grammarchist fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 25, 2019

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Tested one of them electric fly swatters with the tip of my penis

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Weed, oxy, coke, morphine, beer. In that order, within about 2.5 hours. Would not recommend.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

PhotoKirk posted:

On the bright side if anyone's head got skewered it'd probably miss the brain.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
treated the mods with respect

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
turned down free tacos

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

PhotoKirk posted:

motherfucker. my idiot friend did that with a crossbow. one look at that fuckers poo poo eating grin and I knew I was going to die horribly unless I ran.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Shot an recently emptied 20lb propane tank with a shotgun (deer slug). Biggest explosion I've ever seen live. I know it's cliche, but I'm pretty surprised to have survived my teens/20s.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

me your dad posted:

I hosed up college too. I dropped out my second year and unfortunately never looked back. It's a major regret but I never liked school and was a terrible student starting in elementary school.

I spent eight years after college working retail and thought I was doomed to making $9.50 an hour. Thankfully my wife did have a degree and she started working for a major (at the time) website company, where she was able to land me a job doing tech support for their site users. I started teaching myself some basic web language stuff during that time and worked my way into a rather niche profession. I make a good salary, and I work from home three consecutive days each week with a good chance of going full remote. It's more than I deserve and I'm not bragging because it was all luck.

I suffer greatly from imposter syndrome and I don't look forward to the day when my kids may not want to go to college or something and I have to tell them how important it is. I can tell them how much I regret my decision and they can say I've done just fine despite my bad choices.

You'll be okay. Good on you for finishing your degree. You won't regret it when you're 42 like me and people are talking about college and degrees and they ask what your major was and you feel like a schmuck.

P.S. I also became a heavy drinker like you but I did manage to cut that down recently. I didn't want a divorce to become another major regret so I cut out the daily drinking.

On the other hand, I know burger flippers with phd's, I don't regret flaking out of school myself, because I got lots of lucky "right time, right place" job offers, plus no student debt, so I could gently caress off to japan and burn out there instead of here.
I think a good rule of thumb is : "don't give a gently caress if something can get you a job or not, study it if it enriches your life somehow".

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I sprayed a fire extinguisher into a room full of RAs through a screen window then hung around long enough for them to run outside and catch me. I was very drunk, but still, drat, that's dumb.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
hosed up all my relationships

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chinatown posted:

turned down free tacos

What the gently caress dude. :boehner:

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I worked as a chef for a restaurant when I was 18 and I was loving terrible at it. Not to mention I was young and cared more about going out with friends and getting hammered than any stupid kind of job. The owner was convinced I was a complete moron.

One day after turning up to work incredibly hungover and loving up a bunch of orders I went for a coffee and smoke break. I really wasn't with any version of reality at that point. I sat down at a table in the empty bar area while the owner stood watching me from behind the bar.

He watched as I lit my cigarette, took a few drags before picking up a small pot of milk, then poured the milk in the ashtray and tapped my cigarette in my coffee.

He had this look in his eye that has stuck with me ever since, something in between shock and satisfaction. Then he said "Canada, I want you to know that I have always thought you were a complete moron".

He was right though.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i had some crazy brain fart and couldn't figure out how to turn my car headlights on all the way (just needed to twist the dealie a bit more obviously) so i drove a couple hours on the interstate at night with my parking lights on. 20m from home a cop pulls me over and thinks i'm a total idiot and shows me. fortunately for some reason possibly relating to my skin color so he didn't ask for my license and registration which is good because i had an eighth of weed in the glove compartment

i've probably done dumber things but this sticks out in my mind because i still can't understand how i couldn't remember how to turn my car lights on (no, i was not totally baked)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if i really tried to answer a "whered my life go wrong" thread i would be writing that post all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
BACK THEN: Started working in glorious state service almost 24 years ago.
When I started, I lived at home, single, no bills, no kids so I began maxing out my 457 plan at 25% of my gross pay. That more/less was around $400-500 a paycheck depending on overtime, so roughly $800-1k a month invested for 12 years or so before wife/kids ended that. Still kept investing but at about $120 a paycheck more or less. 100% in stocks. 100% tax deferred.

TODAY: 15 months till voluntary retirement.
Over $400k in my 457 plan as of last statement this month. Pension numbers looking good. Will walk away with medical benefits for life as well.

STUPIDITY: Wasted time with the Marines, wasted time getting a degree. Should have started working/investing right away. Buying that Ford Bronco II, it broke my heart.