Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

UnintelGen posted:

So, years ago I use to Blender. Now I am again. Still getting use to 2.8, change scares me.

Been trying to figure out Non Photo Realistic (NPR) rendering, for cartoon cg. Might do something with it. I hope

Here's a test for a hull outline shader I'm working on. I tried using the mesh's fresnel as a multiplier using a shader. It.. doesn't work with geometry that's flat, so that sucks. I'm not good with shader nodes and I just plug random poo poo half the time

The white areas are the mask for the outline so they become transparent. It's controlled with a vertex color layer

this is neat! I like seeing what people do with 2d looks, things like "toon shaders" and whatnot. I like the black/white colors of the top row and the general ink-like variable strokes you've achieved, honestly, good job.

freestyle is a kind of obscure aspect of blender that I've barely touched, but it seems really cool. for those who haven't heard of it, freestyle is basically something that takes your 3d image and at render time plays with the object outlines that are visible from your camera (e.g. you can mark outlines and contours with strokes). I don't know if freestyle is an aspect of what you're doing, if not perhaps you might be interested in playing with it.

example - not a really good explanatory/how-to I'm afraid, it presumes a lot of knowledge, but it shows you an example of what freestyle can do for this sort of look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajIjebE6vko

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

nice! I'd venture to say it is the most delicious-looking completely gray donut I've ever seen. well done, take a sip from your empty gray cup to celebrate.

hope that doesn't come out as snarky, I'm honestly thrilled that you and for that matter anyone is giving blender a try

thank you. i took you at face value if a bit puckish. i learned some more mesh manipulation stuff with the icing i might take another swing at a handle.

nut

https://twitter.com/Mrdodobird/status/1170828186734587904

dang this is so cool I should try to blend something soon

Manifisto

we're up to part 7 of the donut tutorial! we're actually adding colors and stuff, holy crap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lr8QnR5WWU

ty nesamdoom!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

nut posted:

https://twitter.com/Mrdodobird/status/1170828186734587904

dang this is so cool I should try to blend something soon
That's some drat good marketing, for sure. Almost enough to get me to have another go at 3Ding.
But also I've been watching "we hired random people on fiverr to do poo poo" videos on Youtube and it makes me think I should just hire cheap people to make models for me, and then I can just do the animation part that I don't suck at so badly.

Oldstench

Let's talk about where you're going.
I made this in Blender:

https://i.imgur.com/ZCkrV4Q.mp4

and this:

Manifisto

Oldstench posted:

I made this in Blender:

https://i.imgur.com/ZCkrV4Q.mp4

and this:

nice! what did you do to give the balls the right color? bake the simulation, then assign materials based on their location in the final frame?

ty nesamdoom!

Oldstench

Manifisto posted:

nice! what did you do to give the balls the right color? bake the simulation, then assign materials based on their location in the final frame?

Yup.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

gmungo
i'm trying to start Blending again. i finished level one of the donut, i think i even have a render somewhere

anyways, here with an problem. i'm trying to create a triangle grid by taking a normal grid and bisecting from one corner to its opposite. can't get the bisect tool to snap to vertex so i'm not sure if i'm creating a new one

Manifisto

TVsVeryOwn posted:

gmungo
i'm trying to start Blending again. i finished level one of the donut, i think i even have a render somewhere

yesssss

I am sort of like treasure bear is about treasure, except about blender donuts

very nice!

TVsVeryOwn posted:

anyways, here with an problem. i'm trying to create a triangle grid by taking a normal grid and bisecting from one corner to its opposite. can't get the bisect tool to snap to vertex so i'm not sure if i'm creating a new one

okay, quick mode to triangulate faces: in edit mode, select everything (A), then type Ctrl-T or choose Face-->Triangulate Faces. boom! triangles galore. (Ctrl-Shift-T to cut the triangles the other way).

but when it comes to bisecting: personally I would use the knife tool, rather than the "bisect" tool. knife is useful partly because it shows you when you're hitting a vertex, and it actually snaps to vertices (you should ideally be in vertex select mode when using it). you can knife from vertex to vertex to vertex (etc), and if you want you can also knife your way through edges and faces and whatnot. it's a pretty versatile tool and I recommend you play around with it.

it has some nice options, some of which are displayed in the tooltip at the bottom of the window. e.g. you can disable snapping, you can snap to midpoints as well as vertices, you can cut with angle constraints, lotsa stuff.

ty nesamdoom!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

that's silly. i f3ed for triang but didn't get the right thing. why didn't you just tell me to hit control T, BLENDER?

sb hermit

what? I thought treasure bear was known for weed prohibition enforcement, not treasure

Manifisto

hey nerds! blender 2.81 just got released. it's not nearly as momentous as the 2.80 release, but there are a lot of minor-ish improvements and new features, to improve your bong photoshops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCR5X4gFF8o

ty nesamdoom!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

i think the denoiser is probably the best addition. i usually like eevee, but anything that makes cycles faster is cool too
ooo those outliner fixes are nice

Manifisto

TVsVeryOwn posted:

i think the denoiser is probably the best addition. i usually like eevee, but anything that makes cycles faster is cool too
ooo those outliner fixes are nice

I dabble with sculpting every so often but haven't taken the time to really get into it. the sculpting improvements look really nice, maybe they'll finally get me to try my hand at a real project rather than just messing around with it.

:agreed: with the outliner, the lack of selection syncing kept tripping me up

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

gonna post more blender stuf in 2020 JSUT TRY TO FKUCKING STOP) ME

oh ya blendr good, many xci9ting tings

new thrads myable, mhabe not?

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Manifisto posted:

gonna post more blender stuf in 2020 JSUT TRY TO FKUCKING STOP) ME

oh ya blendr good, many xci9ting tings

new thrads myable, mhabe not?

Do it just post do it just post

Oldstench

Did my first character sculpt tonight. Came out pretty good I think.

Goons Are Gifts

Holy crap that's a long face

Manifisto

Oldstench posted:

Did my first character sculpt tonight. Came out pretty good I think.

wow, good job! did you do that using a mouse, or a tablet?

ty nesamdoom!

Oldstench

Manifisto posted:

wow, good job! did you do that using a mouse, or a tablet?

Thanks. Mouse.

RazzleDazzleHour

I made a

Manifisto

oh wow, this is really amazing. I love the lighting :love:

ty nesamdoom!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

this is so good. make the lava lamp bubble. make the record player spin

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Oldstench

Practicing with shadow catchers and holdouts. Some of these things are fake, some are real. What do you think is CG?

e: (posted wrong image)

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 27, 2020

Manifisto

Oldstench posted:

Practicing with shadow catchers and holdouts. Some of these things are fake, some are real. What do you think is CG?

very nice! I would guess that at least the two square cups full of beads are cg, but it takes some squinting. there's a difference in the shadows from some of the other objects, but that could have to do with the angles involved. since I see the laptop reflected in the coffee cup, either both are cg or both are real (I am guessing both are real). the pen however could be cg, the depth of field makes it hard to tell (which is a good thing, the DOF adds realism and ties the elements together).

I am guessing the plant is real, but if not that's a nice modeling job, the detail on the serrations and the overall organic arrangement of leaves is tricky to get right

ty nesamdoom!

Oldstench

Manifisto posted:

very nice! I would guess that at least the two square cups full of beads are cg, but it takes some squinting. there's a difference in the shadows from some of the other objects, but that could have to do with the angles involved. since I see the laptop reflected in the coffee cup, either both are cg or both are real (I am guessing both are real). the pen however could be cg, the depth of field makes it hard to tell (which is a good thing, the DOF adds realism and ties the elements together).

I am guessing the plant is real, but if not that's a nice modeling job, the detail on the serrations and the overall organic arrangement of leaves is tricky to get right

You got it all right. Here's the original photo.

Manifisto

Oldstench posted:

You got it all right. Here's the original photo.

seriously, nice job. I think the more telling question is whether people who have less familiarity with cg could tell the difference.

ty nesamdoom!

Oldstench

:nws: Working on softbody physics. :nws:

Manifisto

lol

ty nesamdoom!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Got a new job at a company that uses Blender, so I'm gonna have to learn it from 3DS Max for the time being. Might post funny stuff.

Manifisto

Putty posted:

Got a new job at a company that uses Blender, so I'm gonna have to learn it from 3DS Max for the time being. Might post funny stuff.

nice! at least I hope there are fun things about it for you. from what I've read, some people coming to it from other software have a period of reservations but when they get used to it really warm up to it. posting funny stuff=good

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

since there was a bit of blenderchat in the welcome thread I thought I'd give this thread a bump

if you're finding yourself with a lot of unexpected at-home time, maybe now is a good time to give blender a try? having worked with the new 2.8+ interface for quite a while now, I'm really happy with it, they've smoothed out a lot of stuff and added some great features.

I've said this before, but if you're intimidated by the learning curve: you only need to climb that curve once, and once you get your footing you will hopefully find the learning process fun. as in, that's a cool effect, how the heck do I do that? oh wow I didn't realize blender had that feature too, that's neat!

again, tutorials are a sort of ideal way to get familiar with the basics. many of us prefer to fool around with software on our own to learn it. but unless you are already pretty familiar with advanced mesh-based 3d programs, you are highly unlikely to figure out how everything fits together on your own.

if donuts are not your thing, how about an ice cream cone? (there are lots of other beginner tutorials if this isn't your jam, hunt around on youtube, just make sure you pick one geared towards blender 2.8+)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppASl6yaguU

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

a few handy videos that popped up for me recently.

first, if you've used blender for any period of time and (especially) followed tutorials, you will be aware that blender has all sorts of cool little tips and tricks and shortcuts built into it or available as addons. so many, in fact, that even advanced users are constantly finding new shortcuts or ways of doing things that open up more options. this pair of videos is a great resource for this sort of thing, I certainly learned some new stuff. I think for a beginner it might seem a little overwhelming, it's much easier to appreciate how and why these are useful when you've struggled with doing things the long way around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9dEqM3H31g&t=1943s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0JqAF5cvGQ

also, I really appreciated the blender guru's recent video demonstrating several ways of avoiding the unnatural repetitive look of tiled seamless textures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VgtSL5ZpYc&t=3s

happy blendering!

RazzleDazzleHour

I almost never do glamor renders of the things I make for using in Unity but I might go back and do a big 4k render of this one

here's what it looks like in-engine, I made it into a VR game

Manifisto

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I almost never do glamor renders of the things I make for using in Unity but I might go back and do a big 4k render of this one

here's what it looks like in-engine, I made it into a VR game

I'm catching up on reading posts, just wanted to say that this is real good. I haven't spent enough time using grunge maps and whatnot, it adds a lot to the look. was this using blender, or some other package?

ty nesamdoom!

RazzleDazzleHour

Manifisto posted:

I'm catching up on reading posts, just wanted to say that this is real good. I haven't spent enough time using grunge maps and whatnot, it adds a lot to the look. was this using blender, or some other package?

I've got a student license for Substance Painter which is what I used for texturing. You should be able to replicate some of the effects without too much trouble, the key is to tie grunge maps to ambient occlusion levels and curvature maps so that the dirt automatically goes into the little dips and crevices. Otherwise, just putting light layers of scratches on things and then making them barely visible (or totally removing the color level entirely) and then lowering the normal map on them goes a LONG way

I'm trying to get a job now though so I figured I should use Substance since that's what everyone in the industry uses

Manifisto

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've got a student license for Substance Painter which is what I used for texturing. You should be able to replicate some of the effects without too much trouble, the key is to tie grunge maps to ambient occlusion levels and curvature maps so that the dirt automatically goes into the little dips and crevices. Otherwise, just putting light layers of scratches on things and then making them barely visible (or totally removing the color level entirely) and then lowering the normal map on them goes a LONG way

I'm trying to get a job now though so I figured I should use Substance since that's what everyone in the industry uses

yeah, blender has ao and "pointiness" nodes that would let you do the same type of thing. I don't blame you for using substance if you're looking to do professional work, people seem to love it. what did you use for modeling?

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

this just came out (as did a new version of blender), I think it's p good

:sludgepal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVGeM40dABA

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

Forums' dear SweetWillyRollbar suggested someone fashion a "Now That's What I Call Music" logo with a yob-inspired message. Because of the intensely 3D nature of these logos, it falls out of my skillset, but I think it might be prime for posters in this thread if they are looking for a fun blender project.

Here are some example, hand-selected titles, if you were unfamiliar with the oeuvre: