Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth
Hello friends, I am learning Blender and was pointed this way to post about Blender things. Here's a very unfinished castle hallway I'm working on I hope you like it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth
Stay safe, Blender Ghost.

----------------

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth
I am heartily lmao'ing at myself right now for spending way too much time trying to hand-wrap a plane around a torso to make a top, then figuring out how to use the cloth modifier.

----------------

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth

Manifisto posted:

sympathetic lol, anyone who has used blender for a while has tried to do something the hard way before learning there's a much easier/more powerful technique

Dang, the cloth stuff is like magic now that I've spent some time today figuring it out lol. I didn't know if I was going to be able to make a top that didn't actually go around, uh... the top. I had to tweak the friction settings and what not all over the place, but it worked. Was able to take thing on right and make thing on left.

Sarashi wraps in Blender!

Still gotta texture it and all but based on the lines the mesh should be able to provide the actual look of layered wraps I think. Art is cool.

----------------

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Nodes are one of those things that look completely insane and unnatural until eventually you mess around with them enough and suddenly they click and you realize how the process works. The biggest hill to get over is figuring out that it's very easy to make simple designs that look really good (sand is super easy, rocks are super easy), and then you just combine them to make them more and more complicated. There's a lot of tutorials online that will just straight-up show you what combination of nodes they use, and then you can tweak their setups to figure out what role each node plays and figure out how to tweak it to your liking, then eventually move into combining multiple tutorials into more and more complicated shapes

Yeah nodes are crazy when you get into them. I'm finally grappling with them now because I'm working on my first character. The thing I've noticed about characters is that while there are a thousand free textures online for wood, metal, cloth, etc... there are almost zero (that I could find) for things like skin or hair. And I have have zero experience with photoshop so I can't make my own yet. So I decided "screw it, let's see what I can do for skin just using nodes". Some youtube video clued me into the "voronoi texture" node, and while the video didn't help me much otherwise, knowledge of that node and what it's about was a godsend. So I spent some time yesterday screwing around with nodes and this is what I got.

The nodes

The result (just the skin is the relevant part)

This isn't like, professional level or nothing but I'm really happy with how it turned out for how gosh darn simple the nodes are. Look at that the tree! It's just a base color, a ramp, and two voronois. One voronoi guides the color ramp to smear the skin tone and make the body paint, a second voronoi is the bump map. There is no image texture involved. And this is just a first attempt thrown together during a late night, caffeine-fueled experiment session. I'm sure it could be refined much further with some time. Maybe something similar will work for the hair too!

Nodes, man.... nodes.

----------------

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth

Manifisto posted:

that looks really good for a first crack at it!

I would tone down the bump displacement unless a pebbly appearance is what you want however. if your goal is to simulate pores and such you might want to look into downloading bump/normal maps of skin surface.

with skin, people who are really into it get into subsurface scattering and some of them claim it is absolutely necessary for photorealism. subsurface scattering isn't the most intuitive thing, the simplest way to say it is it imparts a certain translucent quality that can be set to different colors (really, absorbing different wavelengths of light) at different depths. finding information on it shouldn't be hard but it may be way overkill for you. sss can be tweaked directly in the principled bsdf node but the controls are not very self-explanatory.

for hair, there is a "principled hair bsdf" shader that should be able to give you very realistic hair just by tweaking the settings, it's designed to be very flexible and physically accurate. this node is currently cycles-only however.

Thanks for the information. I'm glad I posted and got clued into "principled hair exists" because otherwise I'd probably have spent an embarrassing amount of time throwing nodes around the standard BSDF first. I will probably tweak the displacement (and a lot of things, generally, I'm not near done) but I'm not necessarily going for photorealism and I'm not trying to make the "human with wings and funny colors" kind of demon so somewhat leathery or rough skin may be good.

For the skin maps though, where do you get them? I've searched around for texture sites and found some good ones but none of them have really any selection of hair/skin unless I'm looking in the wrong places (very possible). Or do you mean paid libraries?

The cycles comment is funny because the first video I looked up on skin turned out to be Eevee only and just straight didn't work in cycles, which the uploader didn't realize lol. I don't know the ins and outs of Eevee vs Cycles, but I like cycles so far because I feel like I have a much easier time getting lighting to feel good with it.

----------------

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth

Manifisto posted:

well I happened to come across this, which includes both normal and displacement maps:

https://3dtextures.me/2016/05/21/human-skin-001/

in addition, this a random site but I saw it suggested somewhere, it is a texture search engine. it turns up 8 full human skin textures, most of them are hosted on another site I don't know, sharetextures.com, that are in-house created, free, and CC0 licensed which is pretty darn cool. can't vouch for the quality though.

https://www.3dassets.one/search?query=human+skin&resolution=

if you type "normal map human skin" into GIS you should get some potentially helpful results. having a seamlessly tiled normal map would be ideal.

Nice! Thank you. I missed these sites somehow, saving them now. I've been using mainly cc0textures.com and cgbookcase.com for textures, and they ain't got the goods for organics. Also, I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to do a direct google image search instead of only going through libraries.

My shading game is just beginning :hehe:

----------------

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth
Well I did it folks. I finished my first character ever. She certainly ain't perfect, but for a first go I'm very happy with what I was able to do. I've been tinkering with her for weeks trying to figure out all the different elements it takes to make a full character.

There is definitely more I'd like to do and improvements I'd like to make. But it's kind of like that moment when your halfway through a new strategy game and you're looking over your horribly built empire and think "ok this build sucks, but I get it now". The foundation of this one is flawed, but now I understand. So it just makes more sense to start another than try to hammer this one into shape any further. The mesh itself is flawed. I've got so many backups and alternates and high poly pieces and low poly pieces strewn all over the place in different collections that it's hard to keep track of things. There were mistakes made early in the process that hamper going much further, but I've learned a lot about workflow and organization!

If anyone has feedback/compliments/criticism I'd be happy to hear them.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party

by Azathoth
I have zero animation experience so all I did so far was attach the rig and make that very simple pose. I can tell I didn't do it quite right, because some parts act funky, and I actually had to cheat with the eyes because they were not cooperating at all. So I just detached them and placed them manually. So yeah, no animation as of now.

I'll check out the mixamo thing though. Maybe I'll try redoing the rig and see what I can get going.

----------------