Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Komojo

you know that "default computer background" look? when you reformat your computer and it goes to the default background, and it's usually some abstract minimalistic thing with lots of glossy surfaces and glowy stuff.

i made a few background images in that style (some of them are animated) and it occurred to me that it would be really good practice if you're trying to learn blender. if you're trying to model something from real life, it's possible to get it wrong, but with abstract backgrounds all you really need to do is have a pleasing color combination. if you're trying to learn the user interface or experiment with modifiers, it's a good way to produce something with really low stakes, and you might end up with a cool design afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komojo

Manifisto posted:

that's cool! did you in fact make them with blender, or did you use something else?

all blender. i used some python scripting to animate the one with the tiles, but everything else was pretty simple.

Komojo

View Layers to the rescue!

If you want to create a portal effect there are a million ways to do it, but it is possible to create a "true" portal effect all within the same Blender scene.

First, create a collection with everything that should be visible outside the portal.

Next, create another collection with everything that is visible inside the portal. Click on the view layers menu in the upper right corner and create a new view layer. Check the checkboxes on the left side of the collections (not to be confused with the other render/view toggles on the right side) so that each view layer only has one portal collection visible.

Now go to the Film settings and check "Transparent" to enable a transparent background.

Make a new material for the portal surface and add a Holdout node to make those pixels transparent.

Now add nodes in the compositor to blend the different view layers together. You can select render layers from the bottom text box.

One more optional step: If you have anything passing in front of the portal you may need to add a boolean modifier along the portal plane.

This almost works, but it shows a few weird artifacts.

The Mix node only seems to use the alpha from the first input, so I hacked around it by adding the alpha values together.

Now there's still a bit of the portal interior showing through in the background, but I fixed it by adding a fake sky in front of it.

Voila! Portals in Blender without having to save external files