Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

lol, "lazy tutorials" speaks to me

you need a bit of knowledge to understand what he's doing but despite his slapdash approach it's actually quite a neat effect (or would be with actual care/attention)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWq-ZPMhai8

woah
i love the format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster

i'm the pipelord now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTADG1omjVY

Papa Was A Video Toaster

https://i.imgur.com/MPlrYJA.mp4

I don't dig the Blender official intro vids because they don't do anything. I like project based learning. Most of my Photoshop skills came from learning how to use a technique or tool for a specific purpose.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

hell, :same:

but some people like learning that way

imo the secret is just to look around at the resources out there and find one that grabs you. doesn't even matter if it's too advanced for you, if it holds your interest you'll learn.

now that there is a lot of blender 2.8 tutorial content out there, I agree with the video's advice that it's better to start with one of these than to try to muddle through an older tutorial

the exception being if you really really want to achieve a specific effect and there's not a 2.8 video out yet on how to do it

e: did you make the spinny icosahedron? I dig it

oh yeah, that is my first Blender render. I'm not digging how it's animating, but I wanted to finish something today
e: icosahedron is the best primitive. fite me

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

the best primitive is the round cube, which you need to activate an (included) add-on to even see as a primitive

if you're looking for a constant speed animation rather than speeding up / slowing down, you'll need to mess with the way the animation interpolates between keyframes.

I think for many people, a good idea is to go to the the Preferences and in the "Animation" tab, under "F-Curves", set the "Default Interpolation" to "Linear." the bezier style easing in and out is good for certain types of animations but often I don't want it.

I tried right clicking the keyframes to make them linear, but I will def change the default.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

in the Animation tab, change the "dope sheet" area to the "graph editor" (or change one of the 3d viewport panes). make sure the animated object is selected, then in the graph editor select the relevant keyframe control points (either shift-click or click and drag). right click-->handle type-->vector, or Key menu-->handle type-->vector.

I didn't do this, but it is good to know. I just deleted the frames, changed the default interpolation and put them back in.
https://i.imgur.com/wlZe7nu.mp4

Papa Was A Video Toaster

is applying a modifier is a one way street? assuming I don't have enough history to undo

edit: also how do i stop rendering an animation?

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 19, 2019

Papa Was A Video Toaster

So I'm trying to learn how to use modifiers because that is how I have decided to learn for now. Tried adding an array to my spinning icosahedron, but the whole thing, array and all are rotating. I want the original object to rotate and each copy to also rotate.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Nice. Can I get a screenshot of your material? I don't really get what emmisivity or whatever I need to have a nice glow.

Edit: I'm also having a heck of a time trying to get the planes transparent. I selected the Transparent BSDF shader and set alpha to zero, no dice. And set blend mode to alpha blend.
Edit a third time: Weird. With alpha blend on, Alpha=1 is transparent.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 20, 2019

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

the material itself is dead simple:

the secret to getting that glow is to tick the "bloom" box in the Render tab of the Properties window. you'll get more noticeable bloom with emission strengths above 1.

glowy effects like this is one of the areas in which eevee really shines, it's quite challenging to get this kind of thing looking good in cycles.

How do I get to node view?

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I added a second camera to my scene to experiment with Spout texture sharing because I'd like to eventually have some live Blender scenes in my VJ set.
How do I get into that camera's perspective? I've got a little picture in picture, but bigger would be better.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

hrmm. this isn't a question you can help with or anything i'm just frustrated. I spent all day trying to get OSC into Blender, finally succeed and I can't do Spout out at the same time without crashing Blender. probably going to have to buy a new computer sooner than later :smith:

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

sorry to hear that :smith:. uh, did you try turning it off and then on again?

Gonna turn it off and on just to say that i tried

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

whos ready for some mothafuckin DONUTS

time to make the donuts

Papa Was A Video Toaster

found a different addon that doesn't crash blender when sending spout. now i have to do the hard part of making an actual 3d scene instead of just a bunch of icos

Papa Was A Video Toaster

i want more! give me more!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

TVsVeryOwn posted:

i want more! give me more!

i like his australian accent.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

bee eater posted:

what flavour is that let me guess honey grayzed lol

i haven't decided yet. i usually like lemon jelly, but obviously this is not a filled donut

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

excellent!

may I have a cup of coffee to go with that?

he didn't show us how to do that yet, that's cheating

Papa Was A Video Toaster

how do i select everything above a loop cut? I decided to start with a sphere to make the round type cup but i need to cut the top off it
edit: alt+shift with edge selection to select all the loops

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 5, 2019

Papa Was A Video Toaster

the handle is real tough. i should probably get a reference

Papa Was A Video Toaster

my donut and bowl
mugs are over rated

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I've been able to watch a few more of the Blender official videos too. Gosh are they dry.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

yeah I don't actually watch those things, altho at the point where I am now I would actually benefit from all of the little tidbits they provide. seriously blender has such a profusion of incredibly satisfying niche features that you can't appreciate until you've slogged through life without them, then you find out how to do it with a single keystroke and you're like ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME

one example among many: / on the num pad will isolate the selected item so you see it and only it and can edit it without everything else in the way, it's spectacular

also even within a given mesh you can hide vertices and whatnot that are in the way so you're editing only the stuff you care about (H to hide, Alt-H to unhide)

have you watched any of the Ducky3D tutorials? I feel like they might suit your style

no but i will. the first google result is some 80s poo poo and you know i'm about it

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

parts 3 and 4 of the "Level 1" donut tutorial are up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2qjqqfkH6E

ice ur donut baby

ice ice baby. i didn't want to do that many drips. i just did the two you see from this angle

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Manifisto posted:

nice! I'd venture to say it is the most delicious-looking completely gray donut I've ever seen. well done, take a sip from your empty gray cup to celebrate.

hope that doesn't come out as snarky, I'm honestly thrilled that you and for that matter anyone is giving blender a try

thank you. i took you at face value if a bit puckish. i learned some more mesh manipulation stuff with the icing i might take another swing at a handle.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

gmungo
i'm trying to start Blending again. i finished level one of the donut, i think i even have a render somewhere

anyways, here with an problem. i'm trying to create a triangle grid by taking a normal grid and bisecting from one corner to its opposite. can't get the bisect tool to snap to vertex so i'm not sure if i'm creating a new one

Papa Was A Video Toaster

that's silly. i f3ed for triang but didn't get the right thing. why didn't you just tell me to hit control T, BLENDER?

Papa Was A Video Toaster

i think the denoiser is probably the best addition. i usually like eevee, but anything that makes cycles faster is cool too
ooo those outliner fixes are nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster

im the magnum dong