Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Basic question: Are these instructions relying solely on static pressures to determine when you've reached proper charge? The answer seems to be yes, but the last time I did this was on a vehicle with published operating pressures, so I'm out of my element here and want to avoid blowing poo poo up.

My current patient is my partner's MINI, for which BMW couldn't possibly imagine publishing anything but a full vac-charge dose weight. I'm planning to check Mitchell1 when I swing by the library, but 98% of their MINI content is just the dealer Workshop Manual, which would give me only what the engine bay label already does. (410 g, +/- 10g, which is useless to me, the dude in an 0.75-car townhome garage with a manifold gauge set.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Motronic posted:

Static pressures on a non-clogged system should be IDENTICAL, because that's how these systems work.

Right, that I get.

It's the thread's running chart that's throwing me, as it's both miles off from the charts Denso/Chrysler have provided for my last two personal vehicles,(mostly at the high ambient end, which is what I'm stuck dealing with in Phoenix), and slightly off from the charts Mini forums have found God-knows-where.

A couple psi and I wouldn't have blinked an eye, but e.g. at 100°, my Denso chart lists a range a full 10-20 psi lower on the low side, and the questionable Mini forums charts have their low-side max pressure lower than the thread chart's min pressure.

Motronic posted:

410g is the only number you need if the system is empty. You can buy small cans and estimate on the last one, or use a typical digital kitchen scale (tare it with the last can you only need a part of, put some in, close the tap and weight it again, etc).

It's got enough of a charge to be semi-functional and I don't want to accidentally vent anything to atmosphere, so the scale's unfortunately out.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Yeah, my general plan was to go conservative, I just wasn't sure where the huge discrepancy was coming from or whether my vision of conservative lined up with non-compressor-slugging reality.

And now, back to the garage before an unwanted $40 Stop Leak MaXXX ICE BLAST gauge bottle shows up.