Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I need to replace the compressor in my 2008 Mazda 3S.

Technically, it's just the coil+clutch that's bad, but I cannot get the bolt out of the clutch for the life of me. It's an Allen cap screw (well, WAS and Allen screw, it got rounded off right-quick from my first attempts) and no manner of screw extractor has worked, and the last attempt resulted in the screw extractor breaking off in it, which was last spring and I suffered all summer in it without AC.

Rather than attempt the foolish notion of drilling out the clutch screw with, like, diamond bits and re-tapping the hole, it seems the more logical option is to replace the compressor.

I'd rather not have to buy an AC pump and gauges I'd really only need once, so I assume I can go to a shop, preferably one that specialized in AC repair, have them evac out the old stuff, I bring it home and replace the compressor, then go back there and have them pull a vacuum and recharge it with R-134a and...oil? Or do new compressors typically come pre-oiled?

I'm also going off the idea that since I know it's just a bad coil, I should be ok not replacing anything else, because I looked at some videos for replacing the expansion valve and dryer and it's extraordinarily labor intensive, especially the valve...requires taking apart most of the passenger side dash.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU