Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Crosspost from the Volvo thread, but my dads 2014 Volvo V70 has a problem when the A/C stops working intermittently when the temperatures get above ~28 degrees C, especially after being parked in the sun e.t.c. Going from shade / garage to highway driving is usually fine AFAIK. So stop and go traffic / parking in the sun = A/C shuts off. It comes on about 10-15 minutes later, and usually stays on but can shut off again even if driving at speed. The problem first arose last summer with the same symptoms, but has worked flawlessly and cools very well when temperatures got a bit lower. Engine is not overheating / reporting odd temperatures afaik, and the outside temperature sensor(s?) are working.

The consensus in the Volvo thread was that it probably isn't the A/C clutch on a car that new, but might instead be a pressure problem. I can't check pressures myself (unless it's OBD reported) since it hard to find the tools, and illegal to release pressure without proper equipment and certifications etc etc. I also don't have access to the car at the moment.

There are A/C "service/diagnostic" services that can be done where they check pressure, empty, test vacuum, refill, remove moisture etc etc (according to description), that I think I should get my dad to do. Like I wrote in the A/C thread, I'm driving the car to Berlin and just found out that it's gonna be 37-38 degrees those days...

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Motronic posted:

Yes, that's a basic AC service. And there's nothing you can do unless you can check pressures. So if you can't do that then bring it somewhere that can.

Thanks, got him to try to book as service tomorrow. Best case, the service fixes it (maybe?), worst case they claim it has a massive leak and refuse to recharge it. Shouldn't be a possibility since it actually always works at lower temps, and cools like the day he got it (i.e very good)... right?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

MrOnBicycle posted:

Thanks, got him to try to book as service tomorrow. Best case, the service fixes it (maybe?), worst case they claim it has a massive leak and refuse to recharge it. Shouldn't be a possibility since it actually always works at lower temps, and cools like the day he got it (i.e very good)... right?

Update: A/C Dude said it was pointless to do an A/C service unless we wanted to waste $280 (which was nice of him) as the car was cooling down to 4 degrees from a single vent. He couldn't see anything immediatly wrong with the A/C while inspecting it, and didn't have much of an explanation to why it stops working when it's very hot outside.

A/C worked 95% of of the trip to Berlin, only giving out after 10 minutes after driving away from Berlin (where it sat for an hour in the sun while we loaded the stuff). I guess we should just leave well enough alone for now.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Motronic posted:

You should bring it to someone who can be arsed to at least check the static and running pressures.

I'm confused about "the car was cooling down to 4 degrees from a single vent" If by this you mean it was working properly as far as cooling, just not out of the right vents then you have a different issue that likely involves the blend doors or control panel.

Yeah sorry he told us that when measuring the temperature from a single vent, with all the others closed, the temperature should be (IIRC) 2-12 degrees C on a working A/C. That's the rationale behind not wanting to hook it up and check the pressures as it's working according to him. He did look down and inspect the compressor, but couldn't give any additional information or a theory as to why it's not working when temperatures go up. When it's engaged it cools like hell, so I'm not surprised at the vent temperature measurement. To be honest, I'm happy that he didn't go through with it because that price is almost double of any other place I've ever seen so I'd rather take it someplace else when time isn't as critical as it was this time. Thankfully I lucked out with the temperatures in Berlin as we managed to drive on the day where there was a window in the heatwave.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

STR posted:

He's lazy, plain and simple. It takes 5 minutes to hook up gauges and get a reading.

Those temps are low enough that it might be a bit undercharged - and AC will blow a bit colder than it should when undercharged (but be very prone to freezing up the evaporator coils - with a 4C temp at the vents, there's a good chance the coils are indeed very close to freezing up). Do you ever get fog out of the vents, particularly if you turn off the AC but leave the fan on?

I've not noticed any fog ever, but will be on the lookout in the future. Will advise my dad to go to another shop and get it checked or maybe have the garage check it when it's going in for a service.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

The worst part about taking a semi-working A/C to a shop is that you can walk out of there with no A/C at all and a "won't fill until this is fixed" bill @ ~$1200.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Speaking of O-rings, am I right in thinking that I need special material O-rings for A/C applications (Chloroprene) and that just putting any O-ring in there is not a long term solution?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Cool thanks!

I replaced the line that the A/C shop said was broken. Was really dreading it as their quote to fix the system was like $1250, and I expected a huge labor cost in that. Was super simple even if it was the whole bit going from the evaporator entry, to the compressor and the condenser. Even the condenser was super simple to get out, and I can see where all my gas went, it's missing half of a couple of rows...

The new condeser is still on the way. Anything I should know before installing it (I'm thinking abour the dryer bit specifically)?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

IOwnCalculus posted:

The last dryer I got came sealed up, I'd make sure to leave it sealed as long as possible until right before you hook it up and pull a vacuum on the system.

I have to bring the car to an A/C shop for the vacuum and (hopefully) adding of the refridgerant though. The whole front bumper + other small bits have to come off in order to access where it hooks up to the condenser. I guess I have to bite the bullet and ask them to hook the lines up while there and hope for the best as I can't really do the vacuum testing etc at home.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

After looking at some YouTube videos it seems like I'll have a few hours window between installing and hooking up my condenser and needing to the have the system vacuumed. Correct-ish?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Motronic posted:

Are you talking about hooking up a condenser and replacing the dryer then waiting before you vac? I'd always prefer to vac immediately after breaking the seal on a dryer, but as long as it's installed into a closed system you're probably fine. Gotta do what you gotta do with what you have to work with (which I assume is not a vac pump).

As far as I can tell (haven't collected it from the post office yet) the condenser has the dryer built in. Might be some seal you can pull after installing, but I'm assuming that it has some plugs or something that I have to remove in order to plug the A/C lines into the condenser thus opening the system to some air. I'm hoping that I can do this an hour or so before an appointment at the A/C shop without ruining the dryer. If everything goes to plan the system will only be exposed to air outside of what's in the lines (that have been open to the environment) already for a couple of seconds while I shove the A/C lines into the condenser.

But yeah, gotta work with what I (don't) have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Double post but A/C update:

Installed condenser lines 20min before appointment for charge. It held vacuum and they filled it up.Car now has perfectly working A/C again and I saved about $950 by spending a total of 2 hours (1 of which was waiting for the A/C machine just now). Totally worth it.

VVV: Yup. Best thread. Thanks for making it!

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 20, 2019