Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

If want do DIY a compressor replacement, how do I figure out how much oil to put in? I'm getting conflicting information on the internets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

STR posted:

Did the old compressor lock up?

If so, you need the complete system oil capacity, since you'll be flushing all of the lines and replacing the condenser and evaporator. If you're replacing the compressor because, say, the clutch went out, or a seal on it went out, you should be able to look up how much oil you need for just a compressor replacement online (Autozone's website probably has the info).

New and reman compressors usually ship with enough oil for the complete system. You have to dump it out into a measuring cup and pour the right amount back in if you're not shotgunning the entire system.

Thanks!
Yeqh just the clutch is bad but it's one where you can't replace the clutch and magnet.

e: do I need to add the amount for the dryer which I will be replacing as well obviously or is that factored in/negligible?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

Much obliged.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

Is there such a thing as a 12v vacuum pump that y'all can recommend? I don't have power available at the parking lot where I do most of my maintenance so when I do final get around to fixing my Golf's AC I want to evacuate the system using the car's power, if at all possible.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

I've noticed certain cans of air duster have R134a in them. How stupid would it be to try and charge an AC system with those? Asking for a friend.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

They should come sealed up because the dryer is there to catch moisture and if left open it will just absorb moisture from the air.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

Well, there goes another 0.000000001 degrees of global warming

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

Krakkles posted:

Am I correct in thinking that absolutely no cooling is probably low refrigerant (and a leak)?

I had to pick my daughter up in my Mustang today, and having no AC is not desirable.

I had an issue with the AC on a car a while back and the problem was a valve on the heater core. Idk about mustangs they might have a blend door. In any case it could be something else and you'd have to diagnose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

taqueso posted:

MEK is real bad stuff? Interesting. When I was working in Turkey they were basically mopping everything with it with no PPE. They also used straw instead of teflon tape, so . The boss on my crew was an old dude who seemed to think MEK was safe and fine to apply with bare hands lol.

I've been to Turkey and I didn't get the impression that workplace safety is the primary concern there.