Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Motronic posted:

Oh, good one. I'll have to find a chart and add that.

But basically - windows down, AC on high but NOT recirculate (so on fords do not use "max AC", on pretty much everything else just turn off recirc) and expect to see mid-40s if it about 90 degrees outside (from the center vent).

If you're seeing something in the mid 30s you're probably low on refrigerant. Same if it's low 50s or higher (in which case you probably have a TXV keeping your system from freezing up).

That's with the car being parked in the shade, right? my car sucks up so much heat from the sun that it takes like 30 minutes to dump it all overboard and actually pull vent temps below 50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Howdy thread, been a bit. My vent temps in the Crown Vic have been climbing the past few months but I put off hooking the gauges up; today it finally started short cycling, confirming my suspicions. Once i got home i checked the pressures; compressor cuts out when the low side gets to 20 psig, high side only reached about 105. Shut off the A/C and they quickly stabilized around 70. Ambient temperature is 70f but the engine bay was hotter, so static pressure should probably be higher, and it's *definitely* low on both sides while running. I'll double check in the morning when the engine's cool but it seems like textbook low refrigerant. it's an almost 13 year old car and the a/c worked perfectly from when i got it in April '17 until recently, so probably the usual normal leakage.

I may have a can of refrigerant floating around my toolbox somewhere, but this will hopefully be an easy fix regardless. Will report back tomorrow.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Double posting to bump: Added a full 12oz can plus the unknown remainder of another from my toolbox, let's call it 18 ounces (which was the total vacuumed calamity of my old MSP, this beast calls for 27). It did quit short cycling, still not as cold as I'd like tho, vent temps only down to 50 after sitting on MAX A/C for like 20 minutes.

By the end, running pressures were 30 psig low/205 high. Ambient temp was 82 F, engine bay was probably more like 85-90, so I'm gonna get another can tomorrow and try and bump those to more like 50/250.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So after my last recharge, the system worked for a couple days, then it sat; when i drove the car a week after the recharge, it was short cycling again. So I've got a proper leak somewhere. UV inspection didn't show any visible leaks, so afaict it's either the schrader valves or the evaporator. The ports were recently disturbed (), and i had this car for years without realizing the low side cap was missing, so it's possible it was normal leakage before but now there's some gunk in one or both ports causing a leak. The evaporator... is inside the dash so i hope to hell it's fine lmao.

Valve cores are cheap, so i just now finished vacuuming out the system, gonna let it sit for an hour or so to make sure it holds vacuum with the gauges attached, if all is well I'll swap em out real quick. Should be quick enough not to have an issue with humidity condensing in the system, right?

If it doesn't hold refrigerant after this... welp.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I forgot those were a thing! And yeah I'm absolutely re vaccing, i just meant in terms of "i don't need/want to replace the accumulator/desiccant today"

e: if it becomes a longer job I'll absolutely swap it out ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aaaand I've been stymied, i asked for "a Schrader valve kit" cause i assumed universal ports = universal internals, right? noooope. Guess it's parts store time again.