Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ok, this one is a little out there.

Have a 2007 S600. Sometimes the blower comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't come on sometimes with AC or heat set for max so rules out temp sensors. You'll be driving around and in 5-20 minutes it decides to do its thing. Or it will just work the minute you start your car.

So researching this, it appears to be a "somewhat" common problem. They redesigned the blower so it has more protection from crap that falls through into the blower chamber and exposed motor.

I've already decided to replace the blower. Fortunately it is a somewhat easy fix, as in not ripping the dash out. Just back breaking under the dash removal of a panel type thing. People have had success removing the blower and cleaning it out, works ok, etc. My luck with that is about zero, and the new improved blower is around $120 for basically OEM.

So that brings me to the resistor. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog.../+resistor,6557

Seems quite simple on the inside, but the price is sort of ugggghhhh moment while I'm in there moment.

Not sure if to spend the coin on that. Basically looks like a fancy starting capacitor to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure how the hell that one works, but the old school ones are bypassed when the fan is on high - it's typically the easiest way to tell if the blow motor resister needs to be changed.

That one is.......special. And I'm guessing it's got something to do with a continuously variable fan speed.

If the cap on you old one isn't bulged out it's probably fine. And for $135 I would absolutely take that SOB apart and replace the cap for $1.25 rather than buy a new one.

Yeah, like I said...odd one. Is it the blower or a bulging cap? Around 13 years old. Housing looks like it is thermo welded on so a dremel and futzing with it all. One of those moments..."hey if it is $60 bucks no brainer" but like I said uggghhh.