Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Coming over from the short dumb questions thread.

I have a 2008 Honda Civic (base model... the LX? Not sure - inherited from my wife).

The A/C blows but not cold air. Last year I got the freon replaced and it worked fine. I seem to remember the mechanic mentioning a bad relay and/or clutch to me.

Well this week it goes kaput. I *thought* it was low refrigerant. I bought a thing from Autozone but the pressure gauge, when plugged into the L, was right near the top of the green so I guess it didn't need anything (per the directions).

I also thought the clutch was not engaging, but it turns out... it's not DISENGAGING. If I turn the A/C off it disengages, but once I turn it back on, it clicks-hums then never stops spinning unless I turn the A/C off via the button. Is this freezing me up? I noticed that when the A/C button is off the air is super hot (central Mississippi in a black car gently caress me) and when I turn it on it does cool a *little* but not enough to actually cool the car down.

Today I switched some relays out and it seems to do the same.

Am I wrong on the clutch? It should go for a bit then turn off right? Then rinse repeat? When the car is first cranked does it just run for a long time to get started?

edit: Just checked again with a different brand refrigerant gauge and it was, with the clutch running constantly, reading just above green into the yellow.

edit 2: Looking at other forums, it seems these Civics can have problems with the HVAC panel sending always on signals to the clutch? Ughhhhh god I can't afford a new car.

edit 3: Okay! Progress! After testing the HVAC diagnostic and clearing codes, I decided to take it for a spin and manually engage/disengage the compressor clutch by just pressing the A/C on/off button. Success! Cold as ice air!

So it looks like my freon is fine and my relay works (ish... not sure if this the problem). Just that the compressor clutch is receiving the always on signal. Apparently I need a new (2009-2011 since they have the fixed problem) climate control unit. Ordered one from a 2010 model. We'll see!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are the passenger vents cold at all?

You need to get a high side gauge on there as well.

If the air never gets cold, I don't think this is anything your HVAC control could be doing. Even if it's not ever disengaging the compressor and freezing up the system, you should get some cold air for a bit until the evaporator core ices over.

Just updated the above posting.

However in regards to this... it would be semi-cool for a few minutes before moving back to room temperature. (and if I turned off the A/C button it was flat out hot) So it looks like the system is freezing even before it gets really cold? That would be par for the course for this car. Ever since I've had it, even when in perfect working order, it would take a while to get cold cold. So I'm guessing it's just freezing before that happens. Especially since manually cycling seems to let it get super cold after a while.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think you're probably onto something there. Seems weird that the HVAC would fail compressor-on, but not impossible.

Yeah apparently clutch failing to always on is a known issue with the 2006-2011 Civics because of course it is.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kid sinister posted:

My truck reeks of BO lately. Well, moreso than usual. Is that a refrigerant leak into the cabin?

Sounds more like mold/mildew. My 2008 Honda Civic had some serious seal rottage (literally every exterior seal on that car is just gone) and every time it rains the moisture, combined with some stellar Mississippi humidity, makes it reek of BO.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kid sinister posted:

Never mind. My wife decided to leave a gallon of milk in my truck, then bury it in her crap. Yes it leaked.

Haha oh my God I know that smell. My kid drinks milk on the way to school every morning. And sometimes in the searing Mississippi heat I leave the cup in the car while I'm at work.

I come back to a solid cup shape block of cheese and my God the smell.... The smelllllll.