Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
So AC thread I have a dilemma...

Vehicle is a 2001 GMC yukon with rear AC controls.

Ac doesn’t work. Compressor doesn’t come on. Previous owner says he had it diagnosed as a clutch. It still has lots of refrigerant in the system, i hooked up my gauges and when I released them a lot came out from a sticky old Schrader valve which I replaced. Relays and fuses are good, and jumping across the low pressure switch does nothing.

My choices are replace the clutch, I think I have a small 3 jaw puller that will work, and O’Reilly has the part for $140 or rock auto for $110. This is assuming the compressor still turns which because of its location I can’t verify.

Or I can buy a complete compressor kit for like $180 with all the trimmings like a new receiver dryer and a poo poo ton of o rings and new oil. I have a beat up vacuum pump my wife uses for her milking machine and a set of gauges that measure vacuum but not in microns. I think I could do it either way.

Its just a question of which way is the right way. New clutch on an old compressor or new compressor of cheapest quality. What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Motronic posted:

Have you found the compressor clutch relay and tried to bridge it yet to see if it's actually a clutch that doesn't work? That would be my step 1.

I will give that a shot. I did swap relays around and put the DRL relay in the AC spot (DRLs worked and still do), but I did not jump any pins or probe for power.

I was debating smacking the clutch with a hammer but its not in a good location, nor is it my vehicle.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It was probably R12 and had a big round GM harrison compressor. Those things were pressed together with some big orings and were responsible for a large number of leaks.

If I were doing it I would replace the condenser, flush the evaporator and lines, replace the orifice tube, replace the receiver dryer and find a rebuilt compressor. At this point assuming it holds good vacuum I would recharge with R12 and the correct oil. R12 systems tend to underperform when retrofitted to 134a and your in California where I assume it gets hot.