Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Put a thermometer in the vent when the AC is blowing.

I like this style because no batteries is nice: https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-C...=gateway&sr=8-9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I bought a car with an AC system that leaked all of its refrigerant out. My understanding is the oil mixes with the refrigerant during operation, does this also apply if it leaks out? Iím trying to figure out if I need to add oil, and if so, how much (entire quantity or just *some*).

I really donít want to yank the compressor to check itís oil level but Iíd rather do that than have an issue.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Thank you, thatís helpful. I donít think the leak was too big, it held vacuum for hours, only half gone overnight. That could also be the well-used HF gauges leaking, too.

It takes 7.25oz (1991 MR2, long hoses), I think Iíll put in 2-3 ounces with dye and see what happens.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Motronic posted:

Sounds like you're on the right track. Could be nothing more than natural seepage if your gauges/ports are leaky.

I don't suppose you can get your hands on some nitrogen to pressure test the system?

No, your question made me do some reading tho. Iím going to take the gauges off after pulling a vacuum, see if it keeps overnight and if not... itís super tempting to use my smoke machine but I have no idea if the smoke will react in some sort of crazy way.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

everdave posted:

Was going to use this guide to try to diagnose my Isuzu Fargo van but A: I could not find the A/C fittings on it yet (engine is under the seats, will look under the van soon) and B: the gauges were $65 at Harbor Freight, wasn't expecting that. Would the $35 gauge sets on Amazon be OK?

Itís probably in the front (assuming thatís where the radiator and condenser is). Thatís where my MR2ís connectors are at least.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Motronic posted:

Sealant and/or oil is bad.

I totally understand the issue with sealant, but why is oil in the can bad? I saw one of those on the shelf a few weeks ago and it seemed like a decent idea (assuming itís the correct oil).

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

That makes sense, youíre talking about those cans that are almost 100% oil tho right?

I was thinking of those cans that have mostly r134a in them with 0.5 or 1oz of oil mixed in, which seems like maybe kind of a good idea. Itís good to know itís mostly just an issue of not being able to measure vs. something horrific like what the sealers do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Be careful with this stuff. I'm sure the op says this too, but it is *nasty* poo poo. Almost certainly the nastiest chemical I have in my shop.