Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's a balmy 30C today and I think my AC is on the blink (in a 2004 UK Honda Civic) on account of it blowing hot air for the several minutes I could stand to wait for it to (not) cool down. My assumption is it needs a refrigerant refresh? It's a sudden development but I don't use the AC much after winter.

Is that a likely diagnosis, and is this a relatively simple task for a mechanic to do? I assume it's not something I should be trying myself on account of having to buy refrigerant and correctly dispose of the old stuff.

monsterzero posted:

Can you hear the compressor cycle on or off? It's usually pretty noticable on a Civic. If you pop the hood with the car running and AC off, then press the AC button you should hear a click, and the engine load (revs may dip momentarily and then go back up.)

Jaded Burnout posted:

I can hear stuff moving through the pipes as usual, which only happens when the AC is on. I'm assuming that means the compressor is running but I can test that next time I use the car; as you say it's very noticeable, in a "lights dim briefly" sort of way.

monsterzero posted:

Anyway, sudden no AC doesn't sound like a slow leak you could bandaid with a charge kit. You should head over to Motronic's thread and ask if you need more freeon.

So, I am here, for your sage wisdom. I only skimmed the OP because it was full of advice on how to do this on your own which I'm definitely not up to doing on account of it apparently being not only troublesome for dealing with the waste refrigerant but also extremely dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

Find a shop that does AC repair.......this sounds like you basically need to start with checking system pressures. Happy to help evaluate their diagnosis/quote, but like I'm sure I put in the OP: this almost always starts with needing a set of gauges to get anywhere into a diagnosis.

Thanks dude. I will do that.

Re: the OP, as I mentioned I skimmed/skipped most of it because it appeared to be a (well constructed) guide to doing it yourself but also scaring away people who shouldn't be doing it themselves (like me).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

Find a shop that does AC repair.......this sounds like you basically need to start with checking system pressures. Happy to help evaluate their diagnosis/quote, but like I'm sure I put in the OP: this almost always starts with needing a set of gauges to get anywhere into a diagnosis.

I took it in to my usual, they did a regas, problem solved. I should do it more frequently, I wasn't aware that there was a lubrication component to the gas too.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

Ehhhh....I wouldn't say it should be a frequent thing. But in most stuff you're looking at around 5 years. Some stuff is sooner, all depends on the length/number of barrier hoses (stuff with rear AC for example).

I've seen suggestions of around 2 year intervals, but given I've not done it in the 5 years I've owned it and I've no idea if/when the PO did, it could be double that since it was last done. So, "more frequently" is perhaps misleading since "ever" is more frequent than "never", perhaps I should say "I should do it on a regular (if long) schedule rather than just waiting for it to stop working".

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Cool. Yeah, they put a UV dye in it and told me to head back in if performance drops rapidly (indicating pressure loss from dry seals getting repressurised for the first time in a while, I guess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I got the impression that my lot just hooked it up to an automated machine and let it do its thing for an hour. I guess why it's a fixed 69.99 price (nice) because they don't bother with the diagnostics beforehand.