Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
2011 Honda Fit.

Compressor has started cycling a lot more than often, even while driving, causing some funky driving.

After sitting, it's ok for a little bit but then will start short cycling. When it is functioning, it's nice and cold.

First step to get gauges and see what my pressures are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Motronic posted:

As always.

Any gauge recommendations? I went to the local places but no one had gauges, just the single use R134a cans with a single gauge on top.

Amazon ones have wild reviews.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Lightbulb Out posted:

Any gauge recommendations? I went to the local places but no one had gauges, just the single use R134a cans with a single gauge on top.

Amazon ones have wild reviews.

I went to Autozone and well

That's not gone well.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
No the car is off - that was after the car had been sitting for 2 or so hours. 78 degrees.

The blower has been running well, but I just hear a relay clicking the compressor on and off. I can feel it while driving, and hear it when sitting. It also seems to trigger the A/C fan.

I suppose it could definitely be a relay or switch of some kind.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 9, 2019

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I am out of light - I will do this tomorrow.

I was just spooked to see it reading in the *~danger zone*~ but you are right - I need to see what its like with the compressor on. The gauges I have don't have the nice R134a temperature gauge.

I will re-read the OP yet again and watch the video.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Ok that's with the compressor on, it's been about 80-85 degrees ambient. The static pressure with the compressor off was closer to 100psi on both sides off compared to around 95psi on Monday after it had sat longer.

I believe that tells me I'm a candidate for additional refrigerant?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I got it up to about 35psi on the low side, high side didn’t move much. I heard hissing when I disconnected everything which is concerning, but I still have cold AC. I also had issue with my can tap - I’m not sure if it was freezing up or I wasn’t patient enough or what. I had to fiddle with the valve on the can to get a pressure increase when opening the low side valve at times.

I was able to confirm my drain line is clear! And feel a lot more comfortable with this process!

There’s more in the can but I ran out of light and the neighbors showed up to ask me about what I was doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Update: the car drives better because it doesn't seem to be short cycling the compressor as often. I am going to get the pressures to line up more with the chart when I have a chance, but this definitely changed the way it was acting in a positive direction.

Thanks for the help and the thread Motronic! This was extremely helpful in helping me get a real understanding of how A/C systems work, which have always been a bit of a black box for me, having never had to really deal with one.