Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

WHY does every VIDEO on YOUTUBE look the SAME? WHY do they all have the SAME thumbnail that all LOOK LIKE THIS?! WHO is watching this GARBAGE?

edit: I guess it's YouTube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
you?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've tried to use Youtube with recommendations, without them, on totally fresh machines, with other people's accounts, it never matters. It's all just unwatchable. Is Youtube the worst website on the internet? Yes, of course it is.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

FactsAreUseless posted:

WHY does every VIDEO on YOUTUBE look the SAME? WHY do they all have the SAME thumbnail that all LOOK LIKE THIS?! WHO is watching this GARBAGE?

Bots and hordes of middle aged moms, I think.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
CASEY NEISTAT RULESZ!!!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Watch Simpsons music videos

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

I think it's this. Only usually there are QUESTIONS???? And, like, the Kevin from Home Alone 'AHHHHH!' face, but otherwise, it's this.

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
The WORST POSTER on these FORUMS???

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
ALL HAIL the ALGORITHM

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

EVERY video doesn't look the same you just see the ones that do the marketing tricks (which makes them look the same) then the algorithm pushes them at you more since they're popular, there's basically endless (they are uploaded around 18000 times faster than you can watch them) videos that don't look like anything else you never see now.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 26, 2019

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
it owns that culture and expression is becoming homogenized because a bunch of computer touchers figured out how to push all the gribbly little engagement buttons people have.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

because youtube stars are philosophers who make bank off The Socratic Method

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

you seasoned it wrong

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
OP wrote a post... and then THIS happened

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Nanna, I keep telling you, the tv part and the box at the bottom both have a power switch.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
TOP 10 reasons
to make a
TOP 10 video

A White Guy With Facial Hair Standing In Front Of A Mountain Of Childrens Toys: "How's it going YouTube, it's your boy SlappyPappySlaps here again with another heckin dank top 10 list so charge up your vapes and dab on them haters cuz were about to GET JUICY!!!"

[oversaturated airhorn noise accompanied by clipart of a fortnite character dabbing, followed by a jump cut]

NUMBER 10:

"All cell phones have things called 'full motion cameras' now. They used to be hard to operate and require study to understand the mechanisms of, but the process has been reduced to tapping your cheetoh covered thumbs on a screen a few times. Now, any rando with a need or want to film themselves talking about nothing can just do it without a second thought. I get sexually excited when strangers give me attention-

[jump cut to stage left camera]

"-Who doesn't, am I right?"

[distorted clip of a crowd of people yelling, followed by another jumpcut]

"-so why WOULDN'T I want to make a fool of myself for the chance to get some ad revenue money? The only problem is that I'm unfunny and have no real talents, which brings us right into..."

NUMBER 9:

"They're really easy to make. All I have to do is pick a subject and google some words to get pictures.

[points to left top corner of screen at slideshow of google image results]

Don't believe me? Try it yourself, libtard!"

NUMBER 8:

"Sans Undertale"

NUMBER 7:

"Hang on, I think I'm getting my scripts mixed up here uh..."

[flips through full color gloss mcu dojinshi with notes written in sharpie offscreen before glancing into camera nervously]

"...so uh the top 7 reason to make a top 10 video is uh..be-because 7... 8 9."

NUMBER 6:

"Hail Satan, my dark lord and master. He will rain blood upon these lands for a thousand years to pull christ from his throne. As we pray in his name, our mind and bodies shall become one to consume all life on earth. Vivat nisi unum solum."

NUMBER 5:

"Lists are subjective,and nobody agrees with anything. I can let users send death threats to each other in my comments section and casually feign ignorance to it with zero consequence. I'd use the phrase 'all press is good press' if I even knew what the hell a newspaper was, but its 2019! Who still reads print? Old people? I'm not old, you're old!"

NUMBER 4:

[cue sponsored advertisement for random product completely unrelated to the current subject or content providers channel with much higher production quality than the rest of the video]

NUMBER 3:

"We're only two spots away from reason number 1 in our top 10 reasons to make a top 10 video. If you've made it this far, get yourself some gamer fuel as a reward for a job well done. I hope I didn't accidentally use any slurs while recording this time because I'm sure as hell not doing it again."

NUMBER 2:

"Before we get to number 1, I'd like to say that if you've been enjoying this video, be sure to comment, subscribe and

because if you don't, I will find your pets and loving EAT THEM while you WATCH. I'm not even kidding, I know most of you little bastards just wait for me to show up in your list of recommended videos, and THAT ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH! Hurry up and click the bell while you're at it, dipshit! gently caress you!"

NUMBER 1:

"Well, it's been a long journey but we've finally made it, gamers. And now, the number 1 reason to make a top 10 video is..."

[drumroll]

"It's the money. Formats like this are fast-to-make and easy-to-exploit. When something simple enough to be quickly replicated falls through the pipeline, the armies of the bland and uninteresting will flock in droves to get a piece of that sweet revenue pie until the well dries up and there's absolutely nothing you can do to ever stop us. Smell ya later, losers."

[rips open several million dollar monthly check while wandering off camera as screen fades to half assed outro sequence]

Dubbed Voiceover: "Do you want to make a top 10 list? What kind of top 10 list would you want to make? Leave a comment explaining your idea in vivid detail in the comments section below. If we like your idea, we might use it in a future episode to give you a boost of exposure. See you guys next time!"

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

because youtube stars are philosophers who make bank off The Socratic Method

Socrates did not walk around Greece with a huge rack or make annoying faces with giant eyes and red arrows trying to get people's attention, as far as I know.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
Gotta turn the monitor on first doi

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
There's some fun stuff on youtube.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Here's what my recommendations look like RIGHT NOW (don't doxx me)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You should enable dark mode on YouTube.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy

Lambert posted:

You should enable dark mode on YouTube.
Can it be done on mobile?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Homo Simpson posted:

Can it be done on mobile?

Yep (at least on Android): Click the user icon on the top right -> Settings -> General -> Dark theme

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If a YT video has a picture of a person with their mouth open I just block the channel. gently caress them.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy

Lambert posted:

Yep (at least on Android): Click the user icon on the top right -> Settings -> General -> Dark theme

Thx man

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Lambert posted:

I had to search so hard for this back when I originally turned it on. The option should be under the settings menu at the top left, not the user icon.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I can't see poo poo in dark themes and hate that all programs started switching to it a few years back. Thankfully these forums remain readable (except for you-know-which).

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Mooey Cow posted:

Please stop hacking my account.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I liked and commented, but I did not subscribe.

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
I'm still pissed at programs that DON't have dark themes and threaten to blind me with screaming white light every time i click on one in a dark room (i am always in a dark room). Thank goodness for chrome extensions that do it for me at least.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mooey Cow posted:

that dumbo chick dummy thicc

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I don't really understand how this seems to happen to people. My suggestion box usually has a ton of things that I want to watch in it. It's got me down pretty well. ...Almost too well...
Subscribe to some channels you like or something. I don't know. There are a lot of good science channels if you're into that.

My friend complained about a similar problem a while ago.
:v:: "The YouTube suggestions are useless. All it does is suggest gaming videos to me."
:raise:: "What do you normally watch?"
:v:: "Gaming videos."

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shadow0 posted:

I don't really understand how this seems to happen to people. My suggestion box usually has a ton of things that I want to watch in it. It's got me down pretty well. ...Almost too well...
Subscribe to some channels you like or something. I don't know. There are a lot of good science channels if you're into that.

My friend complained about a similar problem a while ago.
:v:: "The YouTube suggestions are useless. All it does is suggest gaming videos to me."
:raise:: "What do you normally watch?"
:v:: "Gaming videos."

Maybe you watch garbage.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

immortalyawn posted:

Maybe you watch garbage.

It’s this

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

immortalyawn posted:

Maybe you watch garbage.

That's entirely possible! But I enjoy it, and all my videos don't look the same, which I believe was the heart of the problem.

No one asked, but this is what my recommendations look like:

Though I do agree, most of YouTube is trash and people following terrible thumbnail formulas to get views.

What do you normally look at on YouTube, OP?

How long before we can start using the Google / YouTube / Facebook content algorithms to match with partners, or for an even bleaker future - friends?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 26, 2019

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

crabcakes dogg posted:

The WORST POSTER on these FORUMS???

hlelo

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I like to watch david murray restore old commodores

Adbot