Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Problem description: I left my Lenovo x250 laptop for about 5 months without using it and now it won't start or do anything. No lights come on at all, just nothing.

Attempted fixes: It has an external and internal battery so I've tried all combinations of powering it with those. I've tried disconnecting the CMOS battery, re-seated the RAM, used the NOVO/reset button, tested voltage of the batteries (internal and external are fully dead, CMOS is fine), tested the laptop power plug and connector (both getting expected 20v).

Recent changes: It was working fine 5 months ago when I last used it and it's been sitting disconnected from AC in my dry cupboard since then.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro.

System specs: Lenovo x250 20CL-S32A00

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try using only one stick of RAM at a time.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zogo posted:

Try using only one stick of RAM at a time.

It only has one stick total :( any other ideas?

Erotic Thomas
Apr 22, 2010
Does power indicator light respond to being connected to power? If it's like other Lenovos of the era I believe the light on the power button should flash three times when you plug it in. Either way here are a couple things you can try:
-Press and hold the emergency reset button for 10 seconds.
-With the computer unplugged from power, disconnect both the internal and external batteries and hold the power button for 10 seconds to completely drain the system. Then connect the AC adapter with both batteries still disconnected and see if you can get it to power on, or at least get a response from the power indicator light. If that doesn't work, try again with the batteries connected one at a time.

Erotic Thomas fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 27, 2019

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Erotic Thomas posted:

Does power indicator light respond to being connected to power? If it's like other Lenovos of the era I believe the light on the power button should flash three times when you plug it in. Either way here are a couple things you can try:
-Press and hold the emergency reset button for 10 seconds.
-With the computer unplugged from power, disconnect both the internal and external batteries and hold the power button for 10 seconds to completely drain the system. Then connect the AC adapter with both batteries still disconnected and see if you can get it to power on, or at least get a response from the power indicator light. If that doesn't work, try again with the batteries connected one at a time.

I tried those before but tried them again for good measure. Nothing, no lights at all.

Erotic Thomas
Apr 22, 2010
Based on your description (and following your laptop's hardware maintenance manual, it sounds like a dead system board. It's also possible (though I doubt it) that it's a bad DC jack or a bad power button sub-card.
If you'd like to attempt the repair yourself, this is a fairly easy laptop to work on with proper tools and ESD protection and Lenovo provides excellent documentation (see above). US eBay has DC jacks and power button cards for your laptop for ~$20USD and system boards range from ~$80-200USD based on which specific model you have (you can look up part numbers based on your serial number here. But before you start buying parts I'd recommend seeing if a reputable repair shop that specializes in laptop repair can provide a more definitive diagnostic and can offer a reasonable price for repair.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Erotic Thomas posted:

Based on your description (and following your laptop's hardware maintenance manual, it sounds like a dead system board. It's also possible (though I doubt it) that it's a bad DC jack or a bad power button sub-card.
If you'd like to attempt the repair yourself, this is a fairly easy laptop to work on with proper tools and ESD protection and Lenovo provides excellent documentation (see above). US eBay has DC jacks and power button cards for your laptop for ~$20USD and system boards range from ~$80-200USD based on which specific model you have (you can look up part numbers based on your serial number here. But before you start buying parts I'd recommend seeing if a reputable repair shop that specializes in laptop repair can provide a more definitive diagnostic and can offer a reasonable price for repair.

Do you know if a different model x250 system board would work in my laptop? Looks like you can get refurbished system boards for pretty cheap but it might take a long time to find my exact model.

I contacted Lenovo locally but they quoted me $1000 NZD to replace the system board!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I replaced the system board with a slightly upgraded one that I got second hand from eBay along with a brand new power switch card just in case. Booted up fine straight away and appeared to be perfectly fine. I did a bunch of updates then shut it down for the night (and unplugged the AC, the internal battery was fully charged by this point). It now is completely dead again...nothing. What is going on here? :negative:

EDIT: After fiddling around a bit (the power switch cable doesn't seem in great shape) and disconnecting the coin-cell battery, it booted. What does this mean?

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 22, 2019

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Some computers can get real fucky if the cmos battery is low/depleted. Try replacing it with a fresh one and see if that helps?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Geemer posted:

Some computers can get real fucky if the cmos battery is low/depleted. Try replacing it with a fresh one and see if that helps?

I tested it a few weeks ago and it was fine. I think there is a short circuit protection which is being triggered by that wonky camera/power switch cable. But please keep coming with the ideas! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Great success! I received and installed a new power/camera cable and everything is working again. I found a very small nick (down to the copper) in the old one which I believe was triggering the short circuit protection. I think this probably happened when I didn't reroute that cable very well and then cracked that corner so it started rubbing when the lid/screen was moved.

One final problem though. My chunky external battery is not charging. I've been through the driver reinstall to get it showing up properly (apparently Windows updates can mess with these) but now it never goes past 0% despite saying it is charging. I'm wondering if leaving it discharged for months has killed it?

My internal battery (which was about a year or so newer) is fine and charges without issue.