Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
This is a 40 hour game that feels like it should be 20 hours. I feel like a lot of missions are just bland or repeats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Just finished getting my Plat for this game. Was fun enough to grind through the post-game.
Plus the hordes are just WAY too much fun. But the fantastic horde-killing machine gun that you get for killing 80% of the hordes comes exceedingly late.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I hadn't noticed this game had its own thread, so I'll throw in my two cents: this game is aggressively okay. The middle third rises to just shy of interesting as it deals with its ripper storyline, which makes the next third feel kind of tacked on and strangely impersonal. "Days Gone" is fun enough to spend some money on, I've certainly spent money on worse.

But good lord the flashback scenes are all atrociously bad. This would have been a much better game under the eye of a very harsh editor.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

blackguy32 posted:

This is a 40 hour game that feels like it should be 20 hours. I feel like a lot of missions are just bland or repeats.

Yeah it does drag a little, I'd have probably taken out some of the random "Some rear end in a top hat stole our poo poo, go kill him and his buddies" stuff you keep getting from Tuck or Copeland. And christ is hunting down Crier nests a huge pain in the rear end.

The story sure isn't amazing though I don't hate it, but I am really weirded out by Deek's absolute refusal to ever tell anyone, like... anything. I get he's meant to be a gruff biker and all, and some of the stuff when you get to the later game makes sense because he's obviously unsure of potential friends and enemies, but why he was so utterly insistent on never telling anyone at all that Boozer got injured was weird as hell. I don't think Copeland's going to like... execute you because Boozer's hurt.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I’m really enjoying this game. I mean yeah it’s nothing amazing but it’s fun and meaty. Deacons line delivery is hilariously awful and disjointed but the gameplay is fun. People should check this out if they want a game to play.

Huh, I actually feel the voice acting is pretty much universally excellent, they just don't have the most amazing material to work with.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I've been playing too much RDR2 as I just tried to whistle for my motorcycle

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Reign Of Pain posted:

I've been playing too much RDR2 as I just tried to whistle for my motorcycle

don't forget to wax it for affection points!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

If you beat the game it's worth continuing for a while, even you don't plan to kill all the hordes. There are a few more meetings with characters which tidy up a few loose ends and also pave the way for a sequel.
And even though the main story has finished and the world is just open for you to explore however you like, it seems really bizarre that Sarah and Boozer have just completely vanished and are nowhere to be found.
A good game, a huge, scenic open world and some genuinely tense moments, especially when you can hear a horde nearby.

The (thankfully few) bike chases can suck a box of cocks though.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Stoatbringer posted:

If you beat the game it's worth continuing for a while, even you don't plan to kill all the hordes. There are a few more meetings with characters which tidy up a few loose ends and also pave the way for a sequel.
And even though the main story has finished and the world is just open for you to explore however you like, it seems really bizarre that Sarah and Boozer have just completely vanished and are nowhere to be found.
A good game, a huge, scenic open world and some genuinely tense moments, especially when you can hear a horde nearby.

The (thankfully few) bike chases can suck a box of cocks though.

Boozer will be in his chair at your cabin in Lost Lake sometimes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Finally got the plat for this game and while I could finish off the rest of the hordes, I think I am pretty sick of playing. The voice acting was fine other than the hilarious angry voice that Deek constantly has while stealthing camps.

*Sneaks along and kills someone*

"HOW YOU LIKE THAT YOU BUNCH OF RAPISTS AND MURDERERS, IM GOING TO MURDER ALL OF YOU LIKE THE MURDERING SONS OF BITCHES YOU ARE!!!"

*Sneaks along some more*

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

blackguy32 posted:

"HOW YOU LIKE THAT YOU BUNCH OF RAPISTS AND MURDERERS, IM GOING TO MURDER ALL OF YOU LIKE THE MURDERING SONS OF BITCHES YOU ARE!!!"

*Sneaks along some more*

Sneaking around when a Radio Free Oregon broadcast has just finished is much the same.

With a better directed story and a month or two more of polish and I feel like this could have been a hit. The core gameplay activities are fun, hordes are exciting and some of the storyline missions are genuinely tense experiences.

It's such a pity the story is mostly terrible and a lot of the bugs weren't squashed by release. It just feels like a missed opportunity.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

jabro posted:

Boozer will be in his chair at your cabin in Lost Lake sometimes.

I think it happens when you have a dog toy that you can give to the puppy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

why he was so utterly insistent on never telling anyone at all that Boozer got injured was weird as hell. I don't think Copeland's going to like... execute you because Boozer's hurt.

Seriously. That entire subplot could have been solved by him just going to any of the camps and asking for help. Nothing about it makes any sense. His motivations for everything are rarely clear or logical. Like, the girl he's obsessed with helping. There's a throwaway line in a quest description about how she reminds him of his wifes sister or something but he still just comes off as hung up on her for no apparent reason

I'm a few hours into the second map and my thoughts so far are.

-Gameplay is a lot of fun. It's good as an open world zombie game. I'm starting to run into a lot more hordes and those are always fun and a bit harrowing since I don't have anything to wreck them with yet.
-Visually it's really nice but doesn't hit the highs of some of the best looking open world games. Still, few complaints there. I love the weather effects
-sound design is fantastic. That came as a surprise.
-Story is somewhere between mediocre and bad. Agreed the flashback stuff is awful. deacons relationship with his (probably not) dead wife is completely uninteresting.
-Oh my god, Deacons St. John shut the gently caress up! You talk 1000% too much just shut up for 5 seconds!
-Some quests are fun but there's definitely way too many busy work "kill 5 guys" quests that aren't worth the time. Leveling up camps feels like a grind. I;d like half as many of those missions and twice as much trust points. In general the progression just moves too slow.

Also, what is the deal with the blue question mark missions? They disappear so fast I can't even get to 75% of them before they are gone. If I'm on foot it's always a bust it seems.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Seriously. That entire subplot could have been solved by him just going to any of the camps and asking for help. Nothing about it makes any sense. His motivations for everything are rarely clear or logical. Like, the girl he's obsessed with helping. There's a throwaway line in a quest description about how she reminds him of his wifes sister or something but he still just comes off as hung up on her for no apparent reason

-Gameplay is a lot of fun. It's good as an open world zombie game. I'm starting to run into a lot more hordes and those are always fun and a bit harrowing since I don't have anything to wreck them with yet.
-Visually it's really nice but doesn't hit the highs of some of the best looking open world games. Still, few complaints there. I love the weather effects
-Story is somewhere between mediocre and bad. Agreed the flashback stuff is awful. deacons relationship with his (probably not) dead wife is completely uninteresting.
-Oh my god, Deacons St. John shut the gently caress up! You talk 1000% too much just shut up for 5 seconds!
-Some quests are fun but there's definitely way too many busy work "kill 5 guys" quests that aren't worth the time. Leveling up camps feels like a grind. I;d like half as many of those missions and twice as much trust points. In general the progression just moves too slow.

Also, what is the deal with the blue question mark missions? They disappear so fast I can't even get to 75% of them before they are gone. If I'm on foot it's always a bust it seems.

I ignored all of those question mark things because when I went to them, they were almost always ambushes and very rarely anything good. Game was fun, but I stand by the fact that once you have played about a third of the game, you have basically seen all of the variety that the game has to offer with the exception of hordes. And even then, once you do the storyline ones, you have seen pretty much the biggest hordes there are in the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If nothing else I'm yet to run into the other zombie types and I have to be over 1/3rd in. No idea if they are cool or not though.

blackguy32 posted:

*Sneaks along some more*

This poo poo has literally made me lol a few times. There's one where you go to the camp with the crashed helicopters and he goes off for like a minute straight and by the end I was just losing my poo poo. Someone even came on the radio and he was still just going off like "HRRRRRR HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT YOU FREAKER MOTHERFUCKERS AFTER WHAT YOU DID TO MY FRIENDS I"M GONNA TAKE EVERY LAST ONE OF...." and every time I thought it was over he was like "HRRRRRR MOTHERFU..."all over again

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

jabro posted:

I love everything about the game other than the story. The story is an abomination and extremely lazy. I don’t expect much from video game stories but they mailed this one in.

Edit: I would rather if they just dropped me in the world and let me fend for myself. Just living in zombieland, helping the camps out for gas and guns while living with my heterosexual partner in our ranger outlook stronghold.

You're looking for state of decay

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Sometimes the question marks are just wounded deer that you are supposed to track

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

If nothing else I'm yet to run into the other zombie types and I have to be over 1/3rd in. No idea if they are cool or not though.

This poo poo has literally made me lol a few times. There's one where you go to the camp with the crashed helicopters and he goes off for like a minute straight and by the end I was just losing my poo poo. Someone even came on the radio and he was still just going off like "HRRRRRR HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT YOU FREAKER MOTHERFUCKERS AFTER WHAT YOU DID TO MY FRIENDS I"M GONNA TAKE EVERY LAST ONE OF...." and every time I thought it was over he was like "HRRRRRR MOTHERFU..."all over again

I will say this. If you beat it, then you may as well go for the platinum, because it is an extremely easy plat. My best advice is to always pick up items off of dead people even if you don't have room. There is a trophy tied to that and it can be a bit harder to do when you reach the end of the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Somehow I've become super interested in this dumb game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s dumb but it’s totally fun. I’d say grab it while it’s still $40

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh my god gently caress Breakers! This game needs better crowd control poo poo if it’s gonna throw enemies like this at me.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
They get stunned if you set them on fire, they don't handle corners or fences as well as you do, and you can use one of the residue bolts to turn them against any and all other enemies in the area. There's also an upgrade which lets you stealth-attack them for a one-hit kill, which also unlocks the trophy for killing a heavy with a knife.

Breakers are a big resource sink, but they aren't that big of a deal by the mid-game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This game seems like 5 years too late. It's really hard to give a poo poo about zombies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok.

So there is a Nero research site in the northwest corner of the map, half way between hot springs and Sarah’s memorial and when I go there, there is absolutely nothing there. Is it underground or something? I’ve wasted like 20 minutes trying to figure this out.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Oh my god gently caress Breakers! This game needs better crowd control poo poo if it’s gonna throw enemies like this at me.

Kite them into a horde

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Ok.

So there is a Nero research site in the northwest corner of the map, half way between hot springs and Sarah’s memorial and when I go there, there is absolutely nothing there. Is it underground or something? I’ve wasted like 20 minutes trying to figure this out.

Some are in caves or mines so check those

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

veni veni veni posted:

Ok.

it's in a cave with a horde in it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Just out here stabbing everyone because everyone needs to die.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

veni veni veni posted:

Ok.

Spite posted:

it's in a cave with a horde in it.

Go there at night, so the horde isn't inside.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah I stumbled in there at night by coincidence and quickly realized that I had lucked out that nothing was in there.

Tbh I don't think I'd have ever found the entrance to that cave if I didn't look it up.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Boozer is a moron and having him sniping from the top of our tower with a shotgun is a bold move.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Anyone else have weird issues where Deek will break out of sprint or even fast walking super easily? Like the stick sensitivity is too high or something. No I'm not running out of stamina.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I just rode across the map to get boozers bike back for him, leaving my bike at the fire watch tower in the process, and when I got back Rikki tells me she paid some guys to get my bike back for me and it’s in the camp...

I can’t help but feel there was a better solution to this problem.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

So I just rode across the map to get boozers bike back for him, leaving my bike at the fire watch tower in the process, and when I got back Rikki tells me she paid some guys to get my bike back for me and it’s in the camp...

I can’t help but feel there was a better solution to this problem.

There was none. You got the chance to kill more of the RAPING MURDERING SONSABITCHES.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The way Deek mutters and how he sounds very much reminds me of a parody of Solid Snake and it's kinda great

I actually like the story and characters more than I thought I would

But holy poo poo gently caress the Right wing radio station guy. As far as I've heard he's not even satire, it's just like they put an unironically Rush Limbaugh in the game for...???

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Deacon sort of reminds me of Chris Fitzpatrick. Or maybe the person Chris Fitzpatrick wishes he was lol.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

precision posted:

The way Deek mutters and how he sounds very much reminds me of a parody of Solid Snake and it's kinda great

But holy poo poo gently caress the Right wing radio station guy. As far as I've heard he's not even satire, it's just like they put an unironically Rush Limbaugh in the game for...???

The game actually surprised me. Like it calls out a bunch of the stuff that I thought I would have a problem with. Also, Deacon usually says that Copeland is full of poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, him calling Copeland out is great, or when you hit skip and he just goes "shut the gently caress up" lol

I also found it amusing that after one of the first missions I got like 6 calls in a row from Boozer and him with new missions or random updates

I'm pretty sure boozer is just popping oxy all day

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay so gently caress hordes, I'm coming back to this place once I unlock grenades or something

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

precision posted:

Are you missing the part where deacon is just telling him that he's a moron pretty much constantly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Was clearing out an infestation zone last night and was looting the top floor of a building when a horde wandered by. I was lucky enough that none of then wandered into the building. Was a pretty tense 5 minutes of hiding.

I am still early game and have been just clearing ambush camps and infestation zones, so running across hordes is still pants making GBS threads. It is a nice tense moment.