Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

gently caress yeah it is personal.

Edit:
Hot take: Deacon is more interesting than Aloy.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm a bigass Aloy fan and that won't change, but Deek has big crazy idiot energy and it's real good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Deacon is probably more entertaining than Aloy. I enjoyed Aloy more as a player surrogate and Deacon more as corny dude that never shuts up.

Horizons story was still like 100 times better than days gone though.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Deacon #1 unhinged apocalypse biker. Just fuckin psychopath poo poo. Clambering through the bushes like, "Oh yeah. You like dying. You wanna get low? I'll get you loving low. You'll drown in blood you motherfuckin sonsabitches gently caress you".*

*This is before I've even attacked the camp

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If they did one thing right its give deacon a side character in this game that pops up randomly as you fight or wander into enemy territories of him whispering to himself more than BJ blaskowitz. If you want to have a potential character for a violent video game and you don't want to go full DOOM 2016 where they are just a silent pantomime that breaks poo poo and is impatient for the next killspree, this is the sort of poo poo you should give your protagonist that the player might never hear at all - rambling about poo poo to them-self out of cutscene.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crabtree posted:

If they did one thing right its give deacon a side character in this game that pops up randomly as you fight or wander into enemy territories of him whispering to himself more than BJ blaskowitz. If you want to have a potential character for a violent video game and you don't want to go full DOOM 2016 where they are just a silent pantomime that breaks poo poo and is impatient for the next killspree, this is the sort of poo poo you should give your protagonist that the player might never hear at all - rambling about poo poo to them-self out of cutscene.

yeah. i am mixed on the game so far. but i like deeks unhinged mutterings, it sounds genuine enough to be kinda scary. the dudes lost everything and is just kinda in auto pilot killmode. sure BJ did that but he was with smart brute with a heart of gold who waxes poetically . decon just mutters about codes and poo poo while continuing to do weird bad poo poo for assholes because he has nothing left.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Deacon is probably more entertaining than Aloy. I enjoyed Aloy more as a player surrogate and Deacon more as corny dude that never shuts up.

Horizons story was still like 100 times better than days gone though.

aloy is good/great in the geralt of rivia way. she is player driven character that you can set the tone for and make decisions but she is till her own character. deacon is his own character that you just inhabit.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I love how the Deekster is all bummed out and kicking at the dirt when the time runs out instead of him getting eaten in the challenge mode

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

aloy is good/great in the geralt of rivia way. she is player driven character that you can set the tone for and make decisions but she is till her own character. deacon is his own character that you just inhabit.

Yeah Aloy is a good blank slate with a dry sense of humor and that's why I like her.

Also I already posted this in the PS4 thread, but I love being able to make inappropriate facial expressions in photo mode.

The best part is immediately after I took these Sarah was like "you enjoyed that a little to much" and Deacon was like "Killing Newts? I don't enjoy that. They are annoying though"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Iron Mike is right, but he is also very wrong.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah Aloy is a good blank slate with a dry sense of humor and that's why I like her.

Also I already posted this in the PS4 thread, but I love being able to make inappropriate facial expressions in photo mode.

The best part is immediately after I took these Sarah was like "you enjoyed that a little to much" and Deacon was like "Killing Newts? I don't enjoy that. They are annoying though"

Holy poo poo i did not know you could gently caress with his face like that. Amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr Hootington posted:

Iron Mike is right, but he is also very wrong.

Skizzo is a busta

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

precision posted:

Skizzo is a busta

I wanted to find his soundcloud

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8r559C51uE

all i thought of was this song, because holy poo poo that face.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Did this game just not come out in Germany? Isn't that the country with extremely strict laws about never showing violence against children?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s funny to me that the breakers attack other freaks on sight, but also live in nests with them.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

precision posted:

Did this game just not come out in Germany? Isn't that the country with extremely strict laws about never showing violence against children?

Of course it came out in Germany. It's one of the biggest European markets. Also, this "Germany is so strict on violence" thing hasn't been all that true in like 10 years, and there never were specific laws about "never showing violence against children".

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Doesn't Australia have some dumbfuck laws about games not having red blood or some poo poo like that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

China sort of does. I think Australia has censored some games but as far as I can tell that's not the case with Days Gone

If you shoot someone in chinese PUBG they spray green blood, and if you kill them they wave thank you, then run off the battlefield lol.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh okay. I just recall how Fallout and a few other games had to remove the children from the game or whatever. Didn't know the laws had changed.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I think Blizzard had to remodel the undead for the Chinese market as they weren’t allowed to show exposed bones.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
For a while, there were two government agencies competing for authority over videogames in China mandating all kinds of weirdness (including the WoW bones thing).

Reign Of Pain posted:

Doesn't Australia have some dumbfuck laws about games not having red blood or some poo poo like that

Australia's rating system used to top out at "15+", which is why some games only saw low-violence releases over there.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao when I found sarah.

Just go back to lost lake deacon.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Yeah that was a real kick in the dick. I just finished the game finally, felt like it slightly overstayed its welcome. That being said, I'm not quite burnt out on it like I was with Rage 2 after I finished; still going to go back for some more horde killin'.

They should have some DLC where you strap poo poo to your bike so you can mow-down hordes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The sequel needs to go full Mad Max and let you do things like put machine guns on your bike

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reign Of Pain posted:

IIRC Australia's big bugaboo is drugs in games. They ended up cutting a mission from Saint's Row 4 due to drug use.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Used to be that Australia didn't have an 18+ category, only 15+. Changes to federal classifications required the consent of all state attorney generals and one single religious fogey in South Australia effectively vetoed it for years.

There's been the 18+ category for a while now. But they are still funny about drugs or sex as 'rewards or incentives' in games. Which is why calling a health powerup 'morphine' will get games refused classification. Also anything sexual with an underage/presented as underage character gets RC'd which is mostly anime jerkoff games but occasionally things like South Park Stick of Truth on account of Butters getting an abortion device up his khyber pass.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Paul Giamatti!

That's who Deek reminds me off whenever he complains about stuff...

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The scene where Sarah allows Deek to go to a sex dungeon to get dominated by a mistress was kind of weird, I'll give you that.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Like Deek even knows what Pinot is

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Black Griffon posted:

Paul Giamatti!

That's who Deek reminds me off whenever he complains about stuff...

Oh my god you're right, thank you. He also sometimes sounds like Patrick Warburton (Puddy, Brock Samson)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
When I’m wrong I’m wrong. Now that my bike isn’t rear end and I’m well enough equipped to have fun exploring and clearing out hordes this is a lot of fun! Also getting to Lost Lake helped. More camaraderie and less deciding if I want to send survivors to a slave plantation or Infowars.camp really helps it fell less beleaguering.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Reign Of Pain posted:

This was only in the original Mortal Combat where the NES version had clear blood and the Sega version had no blood but you could add it in with the cheat code. I'm old

But yeah, everything says about not having an R18+ rating until a few years back is true too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

precision posted:

Oh my god you're right, thank you. He also sometimes sounds like Patrick Warburton (Puddy, Brock Samson)

I would buy this game immediately if the protagonist was 100% Puddy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've taken down similar sized hordes in the wild but oh my god, the horde takedown mission is so loving annoying. I hate this games out of bounds zones. I could beat this no problem if I wasn't constrained to a dense area where I'm trying to navigate a maze while constantly having to turn around to blow poo poo up or throw explosives causing me to hit a dead end for 1 second, which is long enough to kill me.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 3, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

veni veni veni posted:

I've taken down similar sized hordes in the wild but oh my god, the horde takedown mission is so loving annoying. I hate this games out of bounds zones. I could beat this no problem if I wasn't constrained to a dense area where I'm trying to navigate a maze while constantly having to turn around to blow poo poo up or throw explosives causing me to hit a dead end for 1 second, which is long enough to kill me.

What are you talking about? I've never run into out of bounds zones during a Horde takedown.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m talking about the specific story mission where you have to take down the horde and you can’t leave that parking lot.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Best horde experience I had was when I missed one of the speakers at the End Of The World NERO lab and brought a giant group down on myself. Spent god knows how many tense minutes circling around and back to the camp, picking off 10 or so each loop, refilling my ammo at my bike when I needed, until eventually I had them down to a level where I could stand my ground and clear the remaining. Had like... 20 close calls but kept barely staying ahead of the horde of finding a bandage with barely enough time to pick it up. Moments like that are definitely when the game shines.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I tried to drive away in challenge mode but my bike was broken :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rimview ranch. Jesus