Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

veni veni veni posted:

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I have about 85-90% of the Neuro upgrades and I've only done two health and two stamina upgrades. And it still says +25% everytime I use it for focus, plus I haven't gotten the trophy for maxing one stat out. So this makes no sense unless I am missing something. I think I've used probably a dozen of them on focus at this point and I can't imagine there is like 30 more stations I haven't found when I have pretty much uncovered the whole map. As far as I can see there is like like 3 Nero checkpoints I haven't done yet.

Positive. I have all 3 bars maxed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I have about 85-90% of the Neuro upgrades and I've only done two health and two stamina upgrades. And it still says +25% everytime I use it for focus, plus I haven't gotten the trophy for maxing one stat out. So this makes no sense unless I am missing something. I think I've used probably a dozen of them on focus at this point and I can't imagine there is like 30 more stations I haven't found when I have pretty much uncovered the whole map. As far as I can see there is like like 3 Nero checkpoints I haven't done yet.

Yes. I have gotten all, but one nero site or checkpoint. I have health and stamina maxed and this last injector will max focus.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
How the gently caress do you beat the sawmill horde

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hide in a bush and throw noisemakers and Molotov's in one spot forever

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Find a solid wide path and keep moving. when you are running and they are a little behind you thrown a noisemaker *in front* of you at your feet and run past it for a second or two and the horde will stop and huddle around it. Throw napalm molotovs at the huddle. If you try to stop and throw the distractions behind you it doesn't work nearly as well. If you get far enough ahead on a long straight stop and mow a bunch down with your gun of choice. Lather, rinse, repeat. It takes a few minutes.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
There’s a pretty good spot up on the roof of one of the buildings with boxes that you can climb up. Makes for a good spot to just lay into the freakers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Stay in the actual sawmill, rather than doubling back towards the checkpoint. What I did was use the wide lane near them as an initial chokepoint, lining it with remote mines and proximity bombs, with a few of the latter placed on the stacks of lumber. Once they're engaged, double back into the sawmill proper, use every bottleneck it offers, and be particularly sure to use the big buildings' rooftops, as they can't suddenly flank you when there's only one way they can get at you.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The ending is a bit rough. The choices and consequences system that was pulled out is incredibly obvious here.

I also think a ton of content was not finished or cut because of certain characters showing up late game that I had no attachment to beyond 1 or 2 interactions with.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 15, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whoever thought to make you clear all of the birds nests to finish infestation hunter is an rear end in a top hat. And whoever thought it was a good idea to make some of the trees take up to 3 Molotov’s to clear out is an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

veni veni veni posted:

Whoever thought to make you clear all of the birds nests to finish infestation hunter is an rear end in a top hat. And whoever thought it was a good idea to make some of the trees take up to 3 Molotov’s to clear out is an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

If you aim well you can usually hit multiple nests with one Molotov.

Or just snipe them from a mile away with the flaming crossbow bolts in perfect safety.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There was nothing actually hard about finishing it it was just insanely obnoxious, because it was a total resource hog and those birds are just the most annoying suckass enemies.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

veni veni veni posted:

You should be using fire arrows instead of molotovs for all of those, that way you need much less resources to clear out nests.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Explosives should have worked too. They don’t, but they should.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lambert posted:

You should be using fire arrows instead of molotovs for all of those, that way you need much less resources to clear out nests.

yeah, I know. Honestly I was just taking them out in between hordes and needed an LMG so it seemed to make more sense to use molotovs or whatever else I could. But I spent like 15 minutes scraping up supplies on some of them and it would have probably made more sense to just grab a crossbow and come back.

This game doesn't like me getting creative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcULH1hykh8

Also, this happened :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ake4AXHIK60

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

All the hordes popped up in my storyline list after I returned to Lost Lake. Hunting hordes with a nice gear load out is my favorite part of the game so far.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
After you beat the game you should be able to buy all you bomb making trash at the camps....driving around all over the place looking for cans n poo poo gets boring

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Reign Of Pain posted:

After you beat the game you should be able to buy all you bomb making trash at the camps....driving around all over the place looking for cans n poo poo gets boring

Agreed, but all crafting crap.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

bobjr posted:

Post game spoiler: So O'Brien and NORA are evolved Freakers and they're apparently on their way to kill everyone up here. Did they just adapt to the virus super well right away, because they do all the freaker research, so maybe I just got confused on how it would work. It does make it kind of funny that O'Brien could throw Deacon around like a rag doll but cowers every time he shows up though.

Will this quest pop up randomly if I gently caress around in the post game or do I have to do something specific? I ended up watching it on youtube but I'd still like to do it in game, however if you need to kill all the hordes I probably won't end up doing it; scavenging resources seemed balance for me in the main game, I never felt like there was too much or too little, but having to scavenge just to knock out horde after horde.... meh, don't want to scavenge that much but overall the game was a lot of fun, I had a good time with it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

PlushCow posted:

Will this quest pop up randomly if I gently caress around in the post game or do I have to do something specific? I ended up watching it on youtube but I'd still like to do it in game, however if you need to kill all the hordes I probably won't end up doing it; scavenging resources seemed balance for me in the main game, I never felt like there was too much or too little, but having to scavenge just to knock out horde after horde.... meh, don't want to scavenge that much but overall the game was a lot of fun, I had a good time with it.

You don't have to kill all the Hordes, no. It's keyed to finishing every other mission chain in the game, which worked for me after I cleared a few of the easier-to-find Hordes. I'm not sure if that's what they were keyed to, but it was all I had left to do on the map.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Wanderer posted:

You don't have to kill all the Hordes, no. It's keyed to finishing every other mission chain in the game, which worked for me after I cleared a few of the easier-to-find Hordes. I'm not sure if that's what they were keyed to, but it was all I had left to do on the map.

Thanks. I had the post-game quest for Iron Mike's grave pop up quickly but I still have the Lisa questline as well to pop up, maybe abusing fast travel will get them to pop up quicker.

I like the horde fights where there's lots of nearby traps already set, barrels and the like. The sawmill horde had a lot of choke points but not as many explosive barrels and stuff around you could run them by as the first horde you are forced to fight.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
The new update from a couple days ago has golf cart taxi driver murder mode so that sounds fun

quote:

Days Gone Update Version 1.31 Patch Notes
Patch 1.31
Weekly DLC Challenges

“Keep Them Safer” is the next free DLC challenge! It’s you and your bike VS. 300 Freakers! (Unlocked on 7/26)
Utilize your crossbow and try for headshots to unlock the sub-challenges for major points!
Do your best to avoid taking damage and rolling to earn even more points to acquire a gold rank.
“Dead Don’t Ride” is our next free “bike” DLC challenge! It’s you and your golf cart travel across Belknap, picking up and dropping off survivors along the way. Do you have what it takes to be a 5-Star Driver? (Unlocked on 8/2!)
On the golf cart, you have UNLIMITED boost so take advantage of it!
Running down Freakers earns you extra time so keep your eyes peeled.

Challenge 7 – Will be unlocked on August 9th
Challenge 8 – Will be unlocked on August 16th
A reminder that all the challenges we release are planned to stay unlocked indefinitely.

General Fixes

Enemies appearing on the mini-map in Survival Mode has been removed as intended when activating R3.
Inverted bike controls should remain the same after the player dies or reloads their save
Subtitles should appear properly in all Challenge Modes
The "Joker" ring will now pick up plants while sliding
Various streaming optimizations

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I am quite far into the game, I realise everyone else has finished it but anyway:

Did they ever say anything about a multiple choice/morals aspect? The only thing that seems obvious is sending people to the 'Better' camp for more respect but less money.

There's a bunch of things where I look at it and go 'OH THEY COULD DO A MORAL CHOICE HERE' but they don't. Rikki, Taylor, that kid. It feels really bitty and lacking in content which is strange for a game festooned in it.

I did like how he fistbumped a black guy so you could tell he was cool with black people.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Von Linus posted:

I am quite far into the game, I realise everyone else has finished it but anyway:

Did they ever say anything about a multiple choice/morals aspect? The only thing that seems obvious is sending people to the 'Better' camp for more respect but less money.

There's a bunch of things where I look at it and go 'OH THEY COULD DO A MORAL CHOICE HERE' but they don't. Rikki, Taylor, that kid. It feels really bitty and lacking in content which is strange for a game festooned in it.

I did like how he fistbumped a black guy so you could tell he was cool with black people.

You will see a ton of cut scenes in the third act that are obvious either or choices, but they included both.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Mr Hootington posted:

You will see a ton of cut scenes in the third act that are obvious either or choices, but they included both.

I wonder if the crazy person ranting he comes out with on his way to marauder camps was one aspect of his characterisation that should be associated purely with the bad moral stance. It's a bit forced and weird considering how he is when he's talking to other people even about marauders,.

I'm at the point where the Ark is being used.

It seems really jarring in terms of everything really. Why is the north map cut off when you go south? I know the story says you're here now, but it's nto like you are telling anyone anything anyway.

It really makes not much sense.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Von Linus posted:

I wonder if the crazy person ranting he comes out with on his way to marauder camps was one aspect of his characterisation that should be associated purely with the bad moral stance. It's a bit forced and weird considering how he is when he's talking to other people even about marauders,.

I'm at the point where the Ark is being used.

It seems really jarring in terms of everything really. Why is the north map cut off when you go south? I know the story says you're here now, but it's nto like you are telling anyone anything anyway.

It really makes not much sense.

Deacon is a man with untreated PTSD and depression, always experiencing some new trauma, and is suicidal. He is not well and is not a good man to begin with. Plus the marauder hatred stems from a past story that we only get nibbles of that has to deal with the anarchist groups who used to attack everyone.

The mountains were mostly impassable due to snow and people thinking most likely freaker hordes were the only thing past them. It is talked about in some scenes I believe and there are a few lore items that talk about how large hordes are moving out of the southern major cities and starting to head north.

you find out that the militia group and ark have been stopping or pushing away most of these hordes.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Half an apology for the necro, but this seems the most appropriate place to talk about this game. I had it somewhat forced on me recently and what a strange beast it is.

Leaving the gameplay aside for now, I just don't get the commercial and technical aspects of this game's development and release. It's released late in the consoles lifecycle and seems technically competent, but then again so was Infamous: Second Son, which was a release title. It was developed by a US studio (production since 2015 according to Wikipedia), so crunch would have been possible, but at least wasn't covered anywhere. The release date was pushed back a few times, but I reckon the pressure from Sony's side increased so the game wouldn't compete against a thematically (and tonally) similar The Last of Us 2. Reading this thread it seems like a planned morality-centered choice system was mostly cut, but what players are left with is a solid and mostly jank-free 8/10 experience. For me it is basically the lovechild of State of Decay and The Last of Us with a way stronger The Walking Dead vibe than either of those two that I never knew I wanted.

I think the reason for its metacritic score being 10 points lower is that 2019 was a weird "in between" year and gaming sites felt the need to take on harsher views or deliver hotter takes, desperate to retain visitor numbers. However, imo Sony did the game dirty by the way they positioned it. After the E3 2018 hype the game's eventual release date was mostly a foot note in game news and I don't remember any particular marketing push. Visiting the regional electronics super chain (think Best Buy) the Monday after Black Friday weekend, I saw stacks of hundreds of unsold copies of the game at full price on the shelves. Clearly, somebody at Sony had plans for the game, but that never made it to marketing. I am puzzled how a game with this level of technical prowess and character could be released as a first party Sony title and end up being received as "bland", "boring" or "nothing new". The game's Metacritic score rivals that of "Mad Max", a way more unpolished and bland niche title. And "Days Gone" has better writing, graphical fidelity, world building and motion capture than that. I mean, I can count the games this generation where one could actually read character's emotions on their face on one hand (and no, Horizon Zero Dawn or The Witcher 3 are not on that list). Maybe it being held to the quality of other Sony exclusives was a factor as well. I am glad it sold somewhat well in some markets, so we may see a remaster or sequel on PS5.

That being said, I can only speak to the first 15 or so hours of the game. In my last session I found out Tucker won't let Lisa leave, put a gun in Hazmat Suit O'Brian's face and after learning to track game promptly refilled Boozer's stock with 5 pieces of dear. So I reckon I've got ways to go with this game and am totally okay with that. From what I've read here it offers a nice challenge curve and decent story all the way through and I can see myself splitting my few hours of gametime a week between this and "Breath of the Wild" for the coming months.

The one pet peeve I have so far is the on-boarding. I passed 3 or 4 world events of people being attacked by freakers and never stopped because I figured I couldn't take on 4-6 of them. Only on number 5 had I read the loading screen tip that aiming and shooting on the biked worked with L1 and R1 instead of the L2 and R2 combo when on foot. So now I am missing those 2k reputation and am still working on trust level 2 for Copeland to get some of those tasty bike upgrades before I can funnel reputation to that "darling" Tucker and finally get a new gun.

Speaking of guns, at which point in the game should I have picked up something new and which of the guns on display at Tucker's camp is worth the investment? And will the bigger bike tanks ever last noticeably longer? Having to basically scrounge for gas after every trip/fast travel is a system I both hate and love, but I may tilt to either side after a few more hours played.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 19, 2020

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Luggage posted:

Speaking of guns, at which point in the game should I have picked up something new and which of the guns on display at Tucker's camp is worth the investment? And will the bigger bike tanks ever last noticeably longer? Having to basically scrounge for gas after every trip/fast travel is a system I both hate and love, but I may tilt to either side after a few more hours played.

The automatic weapons were far and away the best weapons for me. I think the last bike tank you unlock pretty much lasts like 3 or 4 times as long as the initial one? It's a huge upgrade. I know by the end of the game, you pretty much become unstoppable to pretty much anything other than hordes, at least on the normal difficulty.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You should definitely prioritize automatic weapons over the rest. However with that said until you start going after hordes (which don't get marked on your map until drat near the end of the story) the specific ones you use don't matter too much. At the point of the game you're at don't feel like you need to grind to get your trust up with either Tucker's or Copeland's camp.

Speaking of those random events if you do want to get your trust up faster it is worth it to stop for the hostage ones and it can be worth it to stop for the "mystery" ones (where you have to use your magic eyes to track things) because those ones can also eventually lead to hostages to save though not all the time. Tucker's camp only ever gives you money for people but Copeland (and other future camps) gives you money and trust for sending people their way. So one thing that can help early on is saving hostages for Copeland and giving all your ears to Tucker.

Edit: You know what, speaking of those random events I just remembered something that happened during one of of the earliest ones I did. It was one of the tracking ones that eventually lead to me this tight passage leading to a small clearing in the middle of some rocks. Just as I got to the clearing I got caught in a trap and eventually woke up and escaped. Since it never happened again I assume that was a scripted thing but I also didn't actually need to stop for the random event that triggered it? I could have just kept going but I guess they were counting on players being just introduced to the tracking and wanting to use it for a random event. But it was still a strange thing to happen in hindsight if it was only ever going to happen once

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 21, 2020

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kibayasu posted:

You should definitely prioritize automatic weapons over the rest. However with that said until you start going after hordes (which don't get marked on your map until drat near the end of the story) the specific ones you use don't matter too much. At the point of the game you're at don't feel like you need to grind to get your trust up with either Tucker's or Copeland's camp.

Speaking of those random events if you do want to get your trust up faster it is worth it to stop for the hostage ones and it can be worth it to stop for the "mystery" ones (where you have to use your magic eyes to track things) because those ones can also eventually lead to hostages to save though not all the time. Tucker's camp only ever gives you money for people but Copeland (and other future camps) gives you money and trust for sending people their way. So one thing that can help early on is saving hostages for Copeland and giving all your ears to Tucker.

Edit: You know what, speaking of those random events I just remembered something that happened during one of of the earliest ones I did. It was one of the tracking ones that eventually lead to me this tight passage leading to a small clearing in the middle of some rocks. Just as I got to the clearing I got caught in a trap and eventually woke up and escaped. Since it never happened again I assume that was a scripted thing but I also didn't actually need to stop for the random event that triggered it? I could have just kept going but I guess they were counting on players being just introduced to the tracking and wanting to use it for a random event. But it was still a strange thing to happen in hindsight if it was only ever going to happen once

I had it happen to me at least 2 or 3 times over the course of the game. I eventually stopped doing the mystery things because it kept seeming to happen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

I had it happen to me at least 2 or 3 times over the course of the game. I eventually stopped doing the mystery things because it kept seeming to happen.

Maybe I didn't do many events in the woods and that's the only place it can happen. I did plenty of of them in the later areas when I needed to rescue hostages for trust.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Made it to the second reputation level with Copeland in the next play session right after my previous post. And despite my best efforts with Tucker's crowd as well. That first round of upgrades both for the bike and the weapons made a big difference. Though I still avoid open confrontation with the Zs whenever I can, while Rippers and bandit camps are now very managable.

Two more pet peeves popped up.
Radio chatter, even that at the end of a mission, can be cut short by all kinds of events and is then lost in time forever. Had that happen to me on separate occasions with missions for Hot Springs and now I have no idea why things have gotten even more weird with those folks.
Also, silencers seem to have some kind of durability and eventually break I reckon. I've had to replace my pistol's silencer twice now and I never noticed anything communicating to me that it was nearing its end of life.

That said, opening up Iron Mike's camp blew the whole game wide open for me. The story is picking up some steam, I am not crashing into trees all the time anymore and clearing out infestations at night while a horde or two roam around the shrubbery Deacon is hiding in is genuinely exciting.

Also, what the heck is Lisa's problem? Is she the secret queen of freakers? Because the places she keeps running off to certainly suggest so.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
It has been a while since I played but I thought there was a meter on the weapon wheel for a silencers durability when you have one equipped, cant remember specifically.

And losing that radio chatter does suck, same thing in Red Dead Redemption 2, I think its a problem in a lot of these open world games that I just stop moving before I get to the waypoint until I'm sure whoever is done talking.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Luggage posted:

Also, silencers seem to have some kind of durability and eventually break I reckon. I've had to replace my pistol's silencer twice now and I never noticed anything communicating to me that it was nearing its end of life.

There's a % near the gun in the UI when you put it on and somewhere in the selection wheel too.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Where is the focus meter? I can't seem to find it on the UI. Also the random events pop up on my minimap briefly then disappear entirely. Does that mean I missed the event? The starter bike really loving sucks by the way and it makes me want to just run around on foot.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The Gunslinger posted:

Where is the focus meter? I can't seem to find it on the UI. Also the random events pop up on my minimap briefly then disappear entirely. Does that mean I missed the event? The starter bike really loving sucks by the way and it makes me want to just run around on foot.

Focus meter only appears when you use it if I recall.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
So uh, I grabbed this through PS Now cause free was the only way I could see myself trying to play this game. Even if they fixed a lot of the problems it seemed to have at launch, the premise just didn't seem that interesting to me, tbh. But I'm thinking about firing it up and giving it a go sometime soon. There have been plenty of games I had doubts about that turned out to be more fun than I imagined, and it's not hard to be worth the pricetag when you're playing it for free, so yeah...

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I'm not far into this game at all yet, but from what I can tell is far it's not bad--on the better end of mediocre. Honestly its biggest issue so far is its tone--it seems to take itself way too seriously.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Something I appreciate about Days Gone is that its not a complete hellworld where everyone you meet is an rear end in a top hat dickhead like in the Walking Dead, people are trying to rebuild and the different camps aren't even at war with each other, at first.

Everyone hates the Rippers though and for good reasons too.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I'm not far into this game at all yet, but from what I can tell is far it's not bad--on the better end of mediocre. Honestly its biggest issue so far is its tone--it seems to take itself way too seriously.

It gets a lot better as you unlock weapons and tools, turning yourself into a very small bipedal mecha in terms of the amount of destruction you can cause. Then the serious tone gets thinned out as the story gets less small and intimate. Eventually it broadens and becomes more like a Hollywood action adventure film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

mysterious frankie posted:

It gets a lot better as you unlock weapons and tools, turning yourself into a very small bipedal mecha in terms of the amount of destruction you can cause. Then the serious tone gets thinned out as the story gets less small and intimate. Eventually it broadens and becomes more like a Hollywood action adventure film.

Well poo poo, that definitely makes me feel it's worth carrying on further. Probably gonna hope back on tonight. I have only make a kittle past that tutorial sorta mission with Boozeman the man with tattoos for har TM

That said, even though it'll probably be fun af and would be less overly self-serious, I do feel like the zombie things whatever they're called make for the best gameplay I've come across so far, with the stealth and horror elements combining.

Judge Tesla posted:

Something I appreciate about Days Gone is that its not a complete hellworld where everyone you meet is an rear end in a top hat dickhead like in the Walking Dead, people are trying to rebuild and the different camps aren't even at war with each other, at first.

Everyone hates the Rippers though and for good reasons too.

Not trying to start poo poo or anything but I can't stand TWD and this game already has Gruff Bikerman trekking Zombie County so anything further separating the two IPs beyond what's immediately apparent is welcome, imo

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 16, 2020