Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I've been gifted a 12.5 HP / 33" craftsman snowblower, and can't get it to run right. The only way I can get it to idle is to play with the screw on the bottom of the carb (which has a spring). When it's wound out enough that it'll start & idle it backfires frequently, out the exhaust and the intake. It also started pissing gas out the vent tube, and the oil is full of gas, at which point I stopped loving with it and cleared the driveway with the old one that starts every time.

With the screw at the bottom of the carb wound in farther it simply won't start. It seems like the only way it'll run is with waaay too much fuel going in, and I don't know where to go from here (other than change the oil before anything else). It ran before it was moved to my house, but was drained of gas (and refilled on arrival with non ethanol fuel). I'm wondering if bouncing around on a moving truck messed up the carb somehow. What should I do next?

E: model # Craftsman C950-52113-1. I've found a manual for a C950-52113-0, which I'm assuming has the same engine - it's a Tecumseh 12.5hp 4 cycle model 143.021203.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Will do. Found the part number from the manual and a new one is only 30CAD on amazon shipped to my door. I'm going to grab that as well, so that I can throw it on and take apart/reassemble the bad one as a learning experience.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Are you sure it's not overfilled with oil? It'll foam if there's too much, because the crankshaft is whipping around in the top of the oil.