Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Mirconium
Aug 1, 2009

I didn't see a car recommendation thread out there, but this is ironically probably the more appropriate place to ask:

I used to be quite averse to doing mechanical work on my own, however I got a bike and there basically no reputable bike mechanics in a 100 mile radius from me, so I've learned to do basic maintenance tasks and found out that it wasn't that scary to change oil or whatever on a small japanese engine, followed by brake bleeds, fork rebuilds, etc.

However now I might be in the market for a car, and I wanted to ask:

Setting aside questions of pure reliability, since I'll still have my bike to get around in case a car shits the bed temporarily, what is the ABSOLUTE EASIEST car to work on?

I'm talking, the car with the most easily accessible engine bay ever, every single component is on ebay for 30 dollars, and you can do an entire bottom end rebuild with no specialized tools whatsoever. Preferably with a simple engine and layout, but something reasonably modern, like from 2000+ would be a plus. Another plus is if diagnostics is easy, without a bazillion mystery sensors where a busted trunk sensor somehow means that you need to flush your coolant.

Edit: I just realized you guys mean like... REALLY small engines. I'll show myself out.

Mirconium fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU