Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MOTRONIC FOR MODERATOR, MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN

Grimey Drawer

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I have ordered a new carb and filter hoses and filter.

This will undoubtedly fix it.

It's so nice to be past the point of rebuilding carbs - they are so cheap now and even the ones that are adjustable seem to show up dead on or so close to right it doesn't matter.

I'm going to give my standard plug for Marine StaBil in every jug of regular fuel and using TruFuel or other synthetic and run it through before off season storage or for anything you will use over the winter.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Slick posted:

Is this for mowing, or shenanigans? cause that changes the budget drastically. That front tire looks pretty shiny.

All of the tires are lovely. They are 30 years old. Some may be shittier than others.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fermented Tinal posted:

but it's not necessary.

Just highly advisable.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

My dad has a Toro 518 ZR:
https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/s...ar-518-zr-38472

I'm having trouble getting it started. I'm guessing the fuel had been sitting in the tank untreated since it got put away last year (I can't explain why my dad doesn't want to use Sta-bil, but I'm the one stuck getting his engines running every year), but I drained it and poured in something a little fresher bought this summer.

I checked the oil and it's full.

I've pulled the spark plug a half dozen times, sprayed in some started fluid, and it will run for ~10 revolutions and promptly die.

I'm using the electric start to turn the engine over because

I'm not a mechanic, so don't know what to try next. Any help would be appreciated.

Carb is likely clogged up on nasty ethanol gas.

You can take it apart and clean it - plenty of youtube videos. Or you can tell your dad to spend $40 on this: https://www.amazon.com/BestPartsCom...R/dp/B07L2SXCTG

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fermented Tinal posted:

Two years old? Probably just a stuck needle, I'd pop off the float bowl and see if it's that before buying a replacement carb or taking the whole thing off to clean it. If it's stuck it should come free with a little prodding and then you can try running it like that or take the float off and clean the needle and seat with some carb cleaner.

It may be the fuel we get in the US, especially in the winter, but I've never been lucky enough for this to work. I take the carb apart and inevitably find white stringy shmoo that I need to clean out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

This has been my mantra for the past 5 years. Hasn't let me down yet. I buy VP SEF in 5 gallon cans. Sure it's $75-$90, but that's cheap insurance and I can mix whatever I need.

Seriously this. I run small occasion stuff on trufuel all the time, and keep track of what needs to be drained/run on trufuel before the end of its season.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pull the carb off. Remove the float bowl and clean it. Pull the float off and clean the needle. Unscrew the jet retainer and clean the barrel out with some stranded copper wire and carb cleaner. Do the same for the jet that comes out after it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

First guess if the carb doesn't do it (it's the carb): it's a bad magneto. The running fine until heat loading and then not running right later is a thing I've seen.

Mr. Powers posted:

E: In doing all my research for this, I learned that there are two things I can do with my tractor aside from snowblowing: lawnmower racing

You should absolutely do that.

FYI, don't touch poo poo on your new carb. Just install it. Most of them are coming set well enough that you don't want to even mess with them until you have run thing up to temp.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

I did get an inline spark tester at HF when I was there. Is there a better way to diagnose a bad magneto?

Oh, look at Mr. Fancy with the inline spark tester. The rest of us keep one of our used plugs around, switch the lead to that and ground the plug out on the surrounding sheet metal or block.

But seriously....yeah, that's a good way. If you can find the specs you can also check what the resistance should be and check it when its misbehaving and also when cold to see if it varies wildly and is out of spec all the time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

How much of a pita is it to make up new plug wires? It doesn't look like you can buy it, just plug cord and boots. The ones on there look original.

The plug wires and boots aren't permanently attached to the magneto on that engine?