Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Yup, small engine magnetos are simple. There's a wire that gets grounded to stop the spark, a wire that the spark comes out of, then just get it the right distance. If you don't have the special shim, use a piece of thin cardboard and then turn it over by hand relatively slowly to make sure nothing scrapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

So, my dad's Craftsman riding tractor has an issue with the carb where its flooding the cylinder with fuel. I suspect the electric float solenoid, what actually drives that solenoid?

The solenoid is there to cut off fuel and prevent backfires after shutting off the ignition. It can be gutted to plug the float bowl hole and not otherwise affect operation.

Probably it's the needle and seat. None of these small engine carbs are really OK with ethanol.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

We replaced the carb and had the same issue happen with the brand new one.

Possibly some crud in the gas tank that kept the new needle and seat from closing, or poor machining, or something got jostled around. These things are really shittily built.

I'd post a picture if I was at the last job and had CAD models of all this poo poo handy - the solenoid is a normally closed plunger that goes into the bit that holds the main jet and blocks off fuel when not energized. It doesn't do anything to affect the fuel level in the float bowl.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, its just such an odd issue. I'll drain the tank and check the carbs internals and report back

I get it - just want to help eliminate a red herring.