Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
And then start a rival dojo. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

the only way i'd be ok with miguel's dad having a drug connection is if he was silver's coke guy, and then use that to tie back into barnes somehow

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Kinda weird that so may suggestions are resorting to Hispanic/Mexican stereotypes tbh. Coke dealers, border patrols and Luchadors? Come on, people. No Mariachi bands, drug mules or sharing a jail cell with El Chapo?

This show is pretty stupid but it's not THAT loving stupid and largely avoids defining their characters solely by race.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Miguel's dad turns out to be a Salamanca and we enter the Breaking Bad universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

Kinda weird that so may suggestions are resorting to Hispanic/Mexican stereotypes tbh. Coke dealers, border patrols and Luchadors? Come on, people. No Mariachi bands, drug mules or sharing a jail cell with El Chapo?

This show is pretty stupid but it's not THAT loving stupid and largely avoids defining their characters solely by race.

More realistic than Hillary Swank showing up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rhyno posted:

More realistic than Hillary Swank showing up.

I'll take that bet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The show has been consistent with it's silliness that the adult characters all abandon their adult lives and responsibilities to be able to be able teach karate. Introducing a character who is an actual cartel member would be difficult.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe he's teaching the Cartel karate

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

There's an anagram pun word game joke to be made here but I can't find it. Someone funnier and more clever than me (so everyone) figure that poo poo out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean that would be the problem. Either he's teaching the cartel karate or something dumb like that, in which case serious injection of real dark adult issues into this goofy teen soap opera, or he'll walk away from the cartel to do... good/evil karate teaching in the valley? With Silver they very cleverly distanced him from his KK3 character with 'tons of cocaine' and by making very clear that when we meet him in Cobra Kai he appears to be a legitimate well respected businessman and not dumping nuclear waste in schools or something.

The adults in the show are all damaged but the extent to which they are forces of good and evil is 'wanting some kids to win a karate competition' (with Silver moving into a grander villain role). Having an actual cartel enforcer appear would be a weird step change.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Plot twist. Miggies dad is a legal drug lord. He's the CEO of the largest Pharma company in Central and South America.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Maybe Miguel's dad will be Mark Dacascos and we'll have a capoeira cross over with Karate Kid universe and the Only the Strong Universe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJRLI_O9Reo

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I wanna see the return of Terry Silver's lovely Datsun truck.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doronin posted:

I am absolutely certain I watched that movie in the 90s, and I have absolutely no recollection of it whatsoever other than it existed.

Yeah, it leaves an anti-impression in one's head. At least with KK3 you can vaguely recall "like the first, but worst, also there was a Captain Planet villain maybe?"

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Miguel’s dad will be a BJJ instructor

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012
Just caught up on Season 4. Does anyone else find Daniel insufferable? He constantly leaps to the worst conclusion about people and never takes any time to investigate past the surface. He keeps paying lip service about having to work together, but constantly shits on his would-be partner, and never concedes the possibility that someone else's style might also have merit. He also shits on his daughter for even being interested in anything else. I know this is essentially an American high school karate anime, but Larusso is the least sympathetic character outside of Kreese/Silver, but at least those two are fun to watch.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Daniel-san has always been a bag of poo poo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Daniel was always the bully

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Daniel works (as a character) as someone who had a rough adolescence but had someone step in and help him and then found continued success following that person’s teachings, and now thinks those teachings are the only way. There’s a bit of contrivance where the characters have to have friction for 8 out of 10 episodes only to find some common ground at the end of the season; I really liked the end of this season where Daniel flashed back to Miyagi telling him one day he’d have to do karate his way. Overall he’s kind of annoying but obviously has really good intentions, I’m glad they’ve let him take on the role of “bad guy” through not realizing he can’t force everyone into his and Miyagi’s exact way of thinking and make the world perfect.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Him ending the fight with kreese last season was bullshit. This is Johnny's show not his

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
A bit of this falls to TV writing symptoms, unfortunately. There were characters even way back in season one saying that maybe Daniel should chill the f out and listen to Johnny as well. But of course he couldn't do that because that would actually solve all their problems and the show would be over. I know that a lot of people liked their conciliation at the tournament here, but the fact that it took four seasons for him accomplish that obvious bare minimum makes him look worse to me, not better.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The narrative of the fight tho is that Johnny has Kreese beat until Robbie interferes and Johnny gets blindsided. Daniel finishing the fight is fine in that context. Plus I liked in this season that Daniel uses his paralyzing trick on Johnny who is just like “what the hell man?” and kicks Daniel in the face.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I almost feel like Daniel does things Johnny's more often than Johnny does things Daniel's way, tbh. Whenever they find common ground, it usually seems to be when doing things the Johnny way. Hell, Daniel was actually really enjoying his big sweaty testosterone-fueled warehouse workout with Johnny. However, when they do disagree, Daniel ends up being the more hardline and sanctimonious of the two. Its an interesting contrast, where he's both the more and less flexible of the duo.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Daniel is an insufferable prick and I kinda wish he’d get killed off

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Robobot posted:

That’s my guess too. Kinda hoping Chozen and Silver get spun off into a series about hostile business take overs as they try to out position each other. Like Succession, but with karate fights.

God drat it now I want to see this so bad

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

Because having one of your Mexican characters be in the cartel or whatever is kind of gross and it'd be cool if they didn't do the gross thing.

He’s actually Ecuadorian you racist

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Daniel works (as a character) as someone who had a rough adolescence but had someone step in and help him and then found continued success following that person’s teachings, and now thinks those teachings are the only way. There’s a bit of contrivance where the characters have to have friction for 8 out of 10 episodes only to find some common ground at the end of the season;

I think it's just lazy writing. They keep having the exact same conflict each season, sometimes multiple times a season. They start neutral or partially reconciled, then there's a sitcom-level misunderstanding (or multiple) or petty bickering for a while, and then a hopeful reconciliation at the end. Same character beats, over and over, and it's just kinda boring (luckily the other character relationships are more varied).

They don't have to keep engineering a soap-opera conflict between Johnny and Daniel - there are plenty of other character conflicts to showcase. They can let the mutual respect between them stick, but still keep more subtle elements of tension and rivalry. They're way funnier as an awkward buddy cop duo anyway. And there's so much content they could ring out of them trying to create a hybrid Miyago-do/Eagle Fang style, which looked like where season 4 was going but instead ended up being another boring pissing contest between them. Hopefully season 5...

Also I hope some karate kid tries to pick on Moon, and she secretly turns out to be a Brazilian Jiujitsu master and just trolls them into a chokehold on the ground.

Fugue Stater fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 31, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

There's an anagram pun word game joke to be made here but I can't find it. Someone funnier and more clever than me (so everyone) figure that poo poo out.

Speaking of spanish karate dojos

I'm no language expert but something seems off here, google translate.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

The Bee posted:

I almost feel like Daniel does things Johnny's more often than Johnny does things Daniel's way, tbh. Whenever they find common ground, it usually seems to be when doing things the Johnny way. Hell, Daniel was actually really enjoying his big sweaty testosterone-fueled warehouse workout with Johnny. However, when they do disagree, Daniel ends up being the more hardline and sanctimonious of the two. Its an interesting contrast, where he's both the more and less flexible of the duo.

Daniel has always been an impulsive hothead. Johnny is actually more of a real mentor than Daniel is; all Daniel can do is regurgitate Miyagi-isms. Johnny actually learns, grows, adapts, and is trying to be better.

Daniel is sinking more and more towards his roots, while Johnny grows. Like a bonsai.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I loved the reference to the attempt at a bonsai store, which Daniel in his infinite creative wisdom wanted to call Mr. Miyagi's Little Trees and claimed it was simple, direct and catchy when despite all available evidence it was none of those things.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

Daniel has always been an impulsive hothead. Johnny is actually more of a real mentor than Daniel is; all Daniel can do is regurgitate Miyagi-isms. Johnny actually learns, grows, adapts, and is trying to be better.

Daniel is sinking more and more towards his roots, while Johnny grows. Like a bonsai.

Yeah, as awesome as Miyagi is portrayed to be, Daniel has really used him as a lifelong crutch, when Miyagi himself would probably rather have been his training wheels that come off one day.

EDIT: The Japanese karate sensei commenting on all the Cobra Kai episodes is really fun to watch. The guy is just so polite and kind and he gets so uncomfortable at all the rude aggression, it's kind of adorable.

Fugue Stater fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 1, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't know if any of you guys listen to the We Hate Movies podcast (you should) but they do some pretty funny takedowns of the Karate Kid movies and one episode they did goes into hilarious detail about what a lovely business model a bonsai tree store is and how bad Daniel hosed over Mr. Miyagi with a horrible investment.

Here's a link to their episode list. Some Karate Kid poo poo in there somewhere.

https://www.whmpodcast.com/whmprime

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TheCenturion posted:

Honestly, yeah. Daniel's had some good moments as a mentor, but I think he only really does good in one on one circumstances. He was actually able to give Demitri, Robbie, and Miguel some really good material to work with by connecting with them on that individual level. However, as soon as you expand the scope, or give him a student that doesn't learn the Miyagi Way, he starts floundering.

And Mr. Miyagi himself warned about that! He even said one day, Daniel would need to do things his own way. However, Daniel's so intent on believing that Miyagi's way is the only way that he just can't make that jump.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Noob Saibot posted:

He’s actually Ecuadorian you racist
Yes. That was racist.

His dad's in Mexico and I made assumptions I wish I hadn't.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Just caught up and finished the season. I thought it was mostly pretty good but it suffered from too many characters and not enough time to let most of the storylines breathe. The contrivances for misunderstandings and betrayals felt a little lazier and often made some characters way less sympathetic--especially Daniel.

I thought the prom episode was pretty lame though, leaned way too much into cheesy melodrama and Stingray is gross.

Terry Silver is a great villain and has a great presence whenever he's on screen. I hope he employs Tory as a franchise sensei or something so she can finally stop working lovely jobs

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

iamsosmrt posted:

Just caught up and finished the season. I thought it was mostly pretty good but it suffered from too many characters and not enough time to let most of the storylines breathe. The contrivances for misunderstandings and betrayals felt a little lazier and often made some characters way less sympathetic--especially Daniel.

I thought the prom episode was pretty lame though, leaned way too much into cheesy melodrama and Stingray is gross.

Terry Silver is a great villain and has a great presence whenever he's on screen. I hope he employs Tory as a franchise sensei or something so she can finally stop working lovely jobs

The cheesy melodrama is the heart of the show though. Like, I get it, it's a shockingly good netflix show based on the goddam Karate Kid franchise. The original actors are all great.

But it's always been goofy. This is Riverdale, except the 30-years-olds in high school solve their drama with combat instead of boring romance.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 2, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But it's always been goofy. This is Riverdale, except the 30-years-olds in high school solve their drama with combat instead of boring romance.

You can also liken it to, well, an 80's action movie where karate is the source of and resolution to all life's problems.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

You can also liken it to, well, an 80's action movie where karate is the source of and resolution to all life's problems.

They should make a movie like that!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they did idiot, it's called No Retreat, No Surrender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

they did idiot, it's called No Retreat, No Surrender

I used to have this taped in very low quality on a VHS, just after The Last Dragon. The humble beginnings of JCVD lol

These childhood things are probably why I like Cobra Kai I guess