Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Guy A. Person posted:

I don’t think I realized until that episode that Morita got an Oscar nom, but he absolutely earned it on the strength of the drunk scene. That one still hits so hard.

I know "awards don't matter" but yeah, 100% it was a great performance. I feel like the Oscars back then were better at recognizing a great performances in mainstream movies, case in point, Louis Gossett, Jr. in An Officer and a Gentleman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I watched Season 1 when it came out based on a recommendation and couldn't believe how good it was. Then I kind of forgot about it because YouTube Premium or w/e it was, so happy Netflix picked it up. I'm still angry that Netflix cancelled The OA, but picking up Cobra Kai is a start. Season 2 was not quite as good as S1 but still a lot of fun.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm expecting Kyler I think his name was? (The bully dude from S1) to wind up under Kreese's wing and come out as the new CK bad guy looking for payback.

I binged through the first 2 seasons and agree with everyone else. S1 was better than S2 but the whole thing is strangely addictive and somehow avoids being so corny it's stupid with the way it leans into its 80's cheesiness and its use of humor.

I thought the CK kids turning on Johnny was a hard sell too but I bought it once I remembered how they felt betrayed by Johnny softening his stance that they see as leading Miguel to get hosed up. William Zabka really carries this show. I don't know what kind of range he has but he's really good here and I hope he picks up more work.

I don't have much more to add since most everything has been said other than I was getting really weird uncanny valley vibes looking at the actor who played Kreese. God, his freaky plastic surgery/botox face looked loving weird to me.

This could work pretty well but one of my favorite things from S1 was subverting the Asian-guy-must-know-martial-arts trope by having him just be a lacrosse bro that hates sushi.

Daniel: Where are your parents from?

Kyler: Irvine? I think.....

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Kreese pulls off an old man strength vibe pretty well. And you don’t have to be an MMA champion to catch someone by surprise and cut their finger off with a cigar cutter.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

While I definitely enjoyed this season, I couldn't help but feel at times that the show had pretty much run its course. Seeing some of the previous enemies helping each other was wholesome and enjoyable. It would have been a good high note to end on.

With all that said, I have really enjoyed the whole show and am super supportive of everyone involved getting another payday out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Goffer posted:

Cameos from every other 80s karate / action movie as rival dojos in a world cup would be the ideal 👌

Saw this and immediately thought of Frank Dux and the Kumite. Read rest of posts after it. Heart swelled with pride at this thread.