Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Honestly, the show doesn't get enough credit for their action scenes.

Its like better than 90% of other tv shows which is wild. Only Banshee, Warrior, and Into the badlands are on their level. And thats a stupid amount of competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Help, I've lost my mind - I think the cobra kai school fight might actually be better than Daredevil's hallway fight. Just a staggering 10 minute set piece, and relatively seamless switching of actors and stunt doubles

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm watching Karate Kid 1, for the first time.

I also stopped my viewing to watch the final five minutes of the latest Cobra Kai season (I've watched the first two).

I have the willpower of the random dude Kreese throws to the ground the first time we see him

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My unofficial kid actor rankings, referring to the character because I'm too lazy to pull up IMDB.

1) Miguel. I rewatched season 1 and its tough to overstate how much the relationship between Miguel and Johnny grounds the show. I think the actor stumbled a bit when he had to crank up the character's assholery, but he's very very good at potraying a dude in constant conflict with himself.

2) Tori. Not the most indepth of characters, but the actress does a lot with relatively little on the page.

3) Hawk. I wish the show gave him more opportunities to reflect on how much he's turned into a rampaging rear end in a top hat, but the actor really taps into that over-the-top objectively hilarious swagger some kids in high school have.

4) Demetri. A good performance on balance. He's really good at playing the astonished "Who am I an what is my life?" scenes.

4) Robbie. He's fine, I guess. Character is a complete blank and he's competent enough.

5) Sam. Not good. As much as I want to blame this on the writing, she's just not believable and seems to be acting on a different wavelength than near anyone else.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

On a different note, I recommend the Cobra Kai game. Its the strangest and most surreal licensed game I've played in quite some time. Even the anime art style is endearing in a "mid 2000s newgrounds flash game" sort of way.

Literally everyone shows up - and i mean EVERYONE. Tom Cole the car salesman, the landlord, even Johnny's stepdad make surprising appearances.

Practically every attack is a riff from another fighting game, with Miguel screaming "Cobra Uppercut!" every other moment. My only real quibble is that playing as Cobra Kai is vastly more interesting (Johnny, Miguel, Hawk and Tori are playable) than the defense-driven Miyagi Do (Daniel, Robby, Sam, and freakin' Demetri)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its a suprisingly decent beat em up. Its not Streets of Rage 4 good by any means, but wayyyyy better than I thought it'd be. Even its bizarre art style grew on me (it plays better than it looks). Each "dojo" has four special powers and then each character has four unique special attacks AND a unique ultimate attack. There's dodges and counters and enemy variety and a kickin' rad 80s synth soundtrack.

And again, I can't begin to explain the depths of fan service on display here.

In about an hour I have a) Fought the two dudes who bothered Robby in season one by chucking mini golf balls at Golf N Stuff b) witnessed a John Kreese who is literally a carbon copy of Akuma c) Demetri plays like SubZero and d) Fought Yasmine the bully from season 1.

Its the dumbest loving thing I've played in ages, and definitely worth the 25 bucks I paid for it.

Just witness this nonsense - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5ROlXe57dM

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

It makes a lot of sense that ultimately, Kreese was looking to lure some "natural athletes" away from mainstream sports and drop his misfit students like a rock.

I'm rewatching Season 2 and there's a lot of small beats where Kreese is clearly disgusted to work with rejects, social misfits, and Cobra Kai's definition of what a poor person looks like.

Makes sense, given that the original Cobra Kai dojo was basically a rich Aryan nation fan club.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

etalian posted:

Lmao looks like they made a Cobra Kai video game that showed up on Steam this week.

Its been out for about a month for console gamers. I mentioned it a page or two back; its way better than it has any right to be.

On a different note, I'm rewatching Season 2 and I forgot how hilariously pompous Daniel is.

First he shits on Cobra Kai in the recruitment video by making a snide comment and offering free classes (because Daniel is filthy rich) and then, to reinforce that he's now become the douchebag he once hated, he goes to the country club (!) to go trawling for new students.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hot take though - I watched Karate Kid 2 for the first time and it is, well, not as racist as I thought it would be?

Like its my no means great on that front, but i expected way way worse

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I love the running gag that everyone runs into their rival literally anywhere they go, all the time.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I found Karate Kid 2 to be the definition of "eh, that was fine" but found the Okinawa material to be sentimenal and effective and definitely hit me in the feels.

I bumped into an old friend from college after ten years apart, and those episodes NAILED how strange and uplifting and contemplative those types of moments are.

I also found some of the material with Johnny to be a bit off this year. Like I get why he'd choose Miguel over LITERALLY Robby, but ouch. Just outch. Seeing him burn Robby and Bobby (hah) at the same time really hurt, you know?

I also did not expect that the season would drill down so heavily on the consequences of the school fight. Unexpectedly fun to see Sam try to lead Miyagi-do, but I was happy to see them get the poo poo thoroughly kicked out of them since, realistically, they had no shot in hell. Them losing Robby is a hell of a lot bigger of a loss than Cobra Kai losing Miguel just in terms of raw ability. Plus you throw in that Team Sam hadn't actually been practicing and didn't even have a sensei at the same time that Kreese is training his soldiers every day.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

My unofficial kid actor rankings, referring to the character because I'm too lazy to pull up IMDB.

3) Hawk. I wish the show gave him more opportunities to reflect on how much he's turned into a rampaging rear end in a top hat, but the actor really taps into that over-the-top objectively hilarious swagger some kids in high school have.

I'm quoting myself, and that's absurd. But I finally finished season 3 and yeah - Jacob Betrand just loving crushes it as Hawk. I think all the kids got good new opportunities to explore their character (With the exception of Robby, but the show neatly turns that into a meta joke about how much everyone forgets about the dude - and how easy it is for Kreese to come in).

Sam as a leader, Miguel's rehab, the look into Tori's family, even Demetri's "I'm not entirely a nerd" nerdness.

And yet Betrand really manages to tap into Eli/Hawk so well. He's got some big plot-heavy emotional moments, but I think my favorite scene in the season might be him with Kyler and Bruck in the dojo. There's this moment where you can see him literally quivering in fear as Eli fighting against his gently caress YEAH Hawk-dom, and its just so satisfying to watch.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think you either buy into the insanity of the season or you don't. I know a lot of people who gave up after the school fight last year.

Honestly the most distracting part of the LaRusso house fight was that they CLEARLY weren't in the same house they field in. Definitely built a set for it, which is fine, but even the lighting was totally different.

And while I still find it comical how each kid seems to have vastly different levels of martial arts experience (I think Miguel and Hawk might have the most? Sam's actress clearly can't throw a punch worth a drat) I simply admire the attempt they made.

They've also gotten better at hiding the fact that both Kove and Macchio aren't exactly fighting machines. The difference between, say, the beach fight in season 1 and this year's chop shop fight was pretty huge. And Kove honestly gets a pass because the dude is 74 and still looks imposing as hell, even when they're switching him out for a double every five seconds.

A hell of a lot better than shaky cam, at least

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I liked the twist that Robby is now Cobra Kai'ing largely because it plays like a meta-commentary of how little Johnny and Daniel give a poo poo about him.

He's by no means a saint but both of "fathers" throw him under the bus, repeatedly, with much gusto. Especially loved him being released from juvie only to discover the two of them feuding.

I've gone on and on about the game, but there's definitely something up with Aisha's absence. Literally every character who has ever spoken a line on Cobra Kai is in the game (Nathaniel is a miniboss who freaking naruto runs around, that random British guy who Carmen dated pops in etc.) and yet Aisha is absolutely nowhere to be found.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I’m sure there was contractual and SAG considerations, but honestly it’s kind of refreshing that they recognized the creepiness but didn’t fire this young woman just to stick with always needing a love interest.

The story I've always heard is that they studio didn't give a poo poo, and Maccio pushed hard to make sure he wasn't romancing a teenager.

No idea how true that is, though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

I found Miguel's actor clearly having gained like 30 pounds between seasons, and Johnny's resembling a very skinny Donald Trump in certain shots, distracting. Fun season so far though

Yeah, Xolo's weight gain is... noticeable. And I say this as someone who has definitely chunked up, and not just because of COVID. Dude still looks great, though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Great loving season. It had some issues, not as good as Kobra Kai Season 1 and Season 2 but, hey what is? And then in 2022 I . . . .

-2nd Coolest thing: There was a point where it became *extremely* noticeable that people weren't on stage together and it was all blue-screen magic. It has a nice V-Effekt where I knew I was watching a show while also being engaged with the show. That really made Cool Thing #1 hit.

Where did you spot this? I think it was abundantly clear that the all valley was filmed on a MUCH smaller set. Definitely felt like they were filming in a gym rather than an auditorium. All the fights looked like they had both participants in the same place though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Was rewatching some of the fight sequences today in particular the tourney fights, I especially love the way each character's personality comes through in their style.

There's also some foreshadowing for the referee buy-off in episode 9 when Tory scores a point on Devon (new Eagle Fang girl) while she was definitively out of bounds.

Overall I thought the fight scenes were a slight step down from what the series has done before; nowhere near as crisp or as clear as they've done in the past. But I think it balances out because I agree that they clearly spent far more time creating a unique style for everyone. Like the way that Robby fights in the premiere is radically different than what we've seen, leaning harder into Miyagi Do with brief touches of Cobra Kai. Mary Mouser was the weak link before; they clearly worked with her and helped build out both her actual stunt skills and a unique style.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Happy to see others loving the Saved By The Bell reboot; its doing a similar sort of riff and clearly takes inspiration from Cobra Kai.

The biggest difference is that Karate Kid is still an absolute banger of a movie and SBTB has always been terrible.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Sockser posted:

S4 felt like it was just treading water, and none of the S5 hooks really landed for me.

I was honestly okay with this. Previous seasons ended up with such thundering cliffhangers (Daniel opens a dojo! Miguel is hospitalized and Robby is on the run! Johnny and Daniel combine forces!) that downshifting a bit isn't necessarily bad.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm still amazed at how all of us across the fanbase spent hours puzzling out how they would justify Silver's behavior in the original series.

Lots of cocaine is such an obvious but unexpected answer, I love it so much. The premise, not cocaine :)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nah, son. Tori is Mike Barnes' daughter. I guarantee it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Who's going to argue with Michael Ironside?

harley Quinn, apparently

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Tanner Buchanan has definitely had stronger material to work with, but he's grown as an actor so much.

I maintain that Jacob Bertrand is the best younger actor in the bunch, though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The anime analogy is apt, and that not-terrible arcade fighting game literally turned Kreese into Akuma.

The better comparison in my mind is pro wrestling, though. Especially with the kids constantly switching alliances and perpetually moving between Heels and Faces seemingly every other episode.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Vulture literally had showrunners write up "how would your fictional universe handle COVID" descriptions. To this day. I have no idea if these are amazing or cringe. Probably a bit of both.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/04/if-i-wrote-a-coronavirus-episode.html

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I was skeptical about bringing back Chozen but he really did liven up the season. I do wonder what would have happened if Daniel hadn't "struck first" this season and just let Silver be.

And I know that's a common refrain, but I feel like outside of some jackassery Terry would have been satisfied lording his superiority over Daniel without going full (literal) scorched earth

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The telltale game was pretty solid, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think a Back to the future reboot would basically look like the Robocop movie from a few years ago. Not exactly bad, but would likely completely miss what made the first series so magical.