Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Bob Sapp was never mean though. He knew he was there to lose and he had no interest in taking more damage than he had to. As soon as he was in anything even resembling trouble, he tapped, collected his paycheck, and signed up for the next fight. He made a decent amount of money and kept his brain mostly intact.
That was after he got humbled. Before that he was pretty loving vicious to guys half his size. I blame K-1 more than Sapp, for hiring an untrained fighter and encouraging him to play a wrestling heel in a competitive sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hawk sits in the banana car and Mr. Miyagi appears to him as a Force Ghost, setting him on the right path.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The weakest parts of this season were the Vietnam flashbacks and the city council scene. The best was Chozen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't think Zakarian gives a drat as long as the rent is paid.

Edit: Johnny's name is still on the lease and the business license, for all I know.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 4, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hilary Swank, in an eyepatch, appearing in the season finale to destroy Cobra Kai and Miyagi Ryu with Alpha Elite Karate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It makes a lot of sense that ultimately, Kreese was looking to lure some "natural athletes" away from mainstream sports and drop his misfit students like a rock.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
As someone who studied karate for a decade, it's actually pretty bad at protecting you from bullies, especially if they know how to wrestle.

Edit: Following MMA just wasn't the same for me after the nerds were replaced by guys with wrestling and boxing backgrounds.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 5, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
By the by, there's something called "Karate Combat" which apparently runs on the same rules as the All Valley Under 18 Karate Tournament. Like, you're allowed to throw a guy and then punch him once when he's on the ground, but no wrestling. It was on TV while I was waiting for my burrito.

I remember that on Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris basically taught the same kind of karate as Cobra Kai. I've always been a little curious about that kind of karate because the sparring rules were very different by the time I was studying it. We had to wear foam-rubber gear and there was no hard contact or grappling of any kind.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Did you forget about the Machida Era?
I will never forget Machida Era, but the flip side of the coin is Cung Le era, a truly gross phenomenon

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Why is mr. miyagi in the Amazon beating up natives?
Why not? Karate is just Japanese imperialism anyway.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I like those scenes where he beats everybody up by tapping them very quickly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm pretty sure Tang Soo Do is Chuck Norris' style, which makes a lot of sense.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

wooger posted:

Wow. Is Chuck Norris still alive?
He's 80, and a chud, so no.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My impression was that Kreese was participating in war crimes by being part of that squad, not that the US government gave a crap about war crimes at the time.

It's interesting how Kreese didn't learn anything from being manipulated and exploited by a quixotic lunatic who wanted his own little private army. Well, he learned that he should replace that guy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

I dunno, Kreese isn't a complete lunatic by the start of the first karate-kid movie. He's just a war-brained vet that can't handle losing. It's not until KK3 that he goes completely off the deep end and becomes what he is in Cobra Kai.
That's true, he's not organizing his students into gangs to attack other students or do weird rituals in the woods at that point. He was doing something that was sadly common in the karate world: using karate to get people to lower their defenses and accept an abusive, cultish environment. (The air of foreign mysticism around karate would lull people into accepting things that they'd object to if it was coming from a guy coaching a basketball team or pretty much any other after-school program.)

Sand Monster posted:

Skip the below if you don't want to read rants about how I'm annoyed by an unrealistic TV show...
This is all true, but now that I think about it, it's realistic in the timeline of Karate Kid. Like, in The Next Karate Kid, some school administrators allowed a fake "colonel" to organize a fraternity/paramilitary of students that enforce the school rules. By beating up kids who litter. In dad jeans.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
People used to point that out with Sex and the City in NYC, too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm legit angry that this isn't an official Mexican series of the show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
On any given school day, there's a significant chance that a mass shooting happened in another school

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

The landlord backing down from Kreese instead of just calling the cops
I mean, c'mon, that guy is wearing a giant neon sign saying that he doesn't deal with poo poo by calling the cops. He calls his Cousins and Nephews.

Now the city council scene, that's easily the worst scene in the show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I doubt that there was ever a legal transfer of ownership from Johnny to Kreese. Johnny's name is probably still on all the paperwork. Kreese isn't dumb, though, and if there was ever a legal question he'd probably claim that Johnny just abandoned the business and Kreese graciously kept it going so as not to let the students down.

It was actually refreshing when Johnny goes to see Carmen; I was expecting her to confront him about his date selfies, but nah, Miguel's there with a black eye. I'm sure she'll get mad about Facebook at some point; everybody does.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If I wanted not-violent-enough disputes between California tenants and California real estate developers, I'd read the dang news.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm just glad that Jonathan Brandis has returned from the grave and got his career back on track.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

quote:

WHAT THE HELL HAS BELGIUM EVER DONE EXCEPT GET INVADED?
I am crying

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The part of Robby Keene will now be played by Dario Cueto.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If they all got black belts in Kyokushin, I don't think it would make the California Karate Gang saga more believable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's Disturbed's "Down with the Sickness," the new bebop song all the Millennial bloggers are dabbing to.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
With a case of Coors Banquet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I want to start watching, but I can't pick up my sushi for another hour.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

(and if anything Cobra Kai is correct in almost all of it's fighting advice).
Kreese doesn't seem terribly interested in teaching people how to fight. His priority is always breaking people to his will, so he makes his students beat each other up and do grueling stunts instead of really training. His best guys learned to fight from other people.

One thing he is really good at is spotting someone who's not going to be useful to him, and leading his students in bullying that person, so that they don't turn on him.

This season felt the most relevant to my experience as a teenage karate nerd, especially all the stuff I hated about tournaments. It really brought out the worst in the instructors who we were expected to regard as some kind of guru.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

DrunkPanda posted:

HOW DARE YOU! STINGRAY IS A NATIONAL TREASURE
I'm glad that they brought Stingray back, but only with the caveat that they were upfront about him being a creepy loser.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Flesnolk posted:

It's interesting that he seems to have regressed as a teacher. He turned Johnny Lawrence into a legitimately skilled fighter back in the day, but in season 3 he just took shortcuts by recruiting people who were already experienced, talented athletes. Also lol that he thinks a skilled high school wrestler is "an untrained fighter."
I know the show's not realistic, but it makes a lot of sense. In 1984, just being aggressive and fighting dirty probably went a long way.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Stingray would 100% be a BJJ stoner guy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Flesnolk posted:

Karate actually has a respected legacy in both kickboxing and MMA. I don't think anyone has honestly been like "lol krotty useless " since 2006
Sure, but "karate" doesn't really exist as a specific thing. The show is a fantasy where strip-mall karate dojos still teach "blood and guts" style karate from the 70s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

PizzaProwler posted:

Speaking of both IASIP and Stingray, the actor who plays Stingray (Paul Walter Hauser) was in IASIP as the Juggalo that Charlie takes in under his wing in "Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth"
With a name like that, it's only a matter of time before he seizes Nakatomi Plaza.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1417303737224269824?s=20

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Idunno if I get it either, but there are karate oldheads who insist that you can only train in a room like the Miyagi-do shrine with a sprung wood floor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Also Miguel comes back from Mexico wearing a lucha mask.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
https://twitter.com/the_binp/status/1479647826871267329?t=2EtwUoJoZX9Kln72r3fAeg&s=19

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A lot of sport karate tournaments allow hits to the head, but not the face. That only makes sense if you wear sport karate gear, though. (It doesn't cover the face, which answers the obvious question of where the head ends and the face begins.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I wonder how losing his CEO position is going to play out in the final season.

If Cobra Kai had done karate better, surely his business partners would have been impressed!