Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Finished S2 and really enjoyed the whole thing.

Agreeing with everyone else that S1 was a special kind of magic, but S2 had some great moments too. They leaned a bit too heavy into the soap-opera stuff for me (Johnny is dating the mom! Sam kissed Miguel! Tory stormed off!) but I really liked a lot of it, especially the parts with Johnny and Daniel. The mexican restaurant scene was a highlight. I'd love to see Elizabeth Shue in the next season but I doubt it will happen, she is more high profile than the rest of the cast. But hey, we can hope. It's Elizabeth Shue, I'd love to see her in anything.

It is interesting to see where they put Daniel in this story, because it is such a fine line to walk. He is the hero of the original movie so you can't make him a straight-out villain, which is what he should be in a Johnny-centric story. But they have found a way to make Daniel still likeable but very flawed, and making bad choices due to old grudges. You can see where he has made poor decisions about his kids and his life, trying to give his kids everything and accidentally turning them into monsters (especially his garbage son).

Zabka really came into his own acting-wise in this season, his scenes at the end were top notch. And I really didn't see the ending coming of having both dojos close and both students out of the game. I am glad they got another season to wrap it up and I'd love to see Johnny and Daniel working together, they keep getting close to it and dancing away, but it is time to make that happen. S4 seems unnecessary, but maybe they could take the story in a new direction once they wrap up the current storyline.

Also seeing the other Cobra Kais was a highlight, even though putting the "body bag" guy in a bodybag was a lot darker once you know that the actor died soon after. Seeing them also highlighted how well Zabka and Macchio have aged in comparison, they look way younger than the rest.

Except for Kreese, he is just becoming more grizzled instead of getting older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Xealot posted:

Probably a pretty painless shoot for her, though. "On location in Van Nuys." It's probably like 20 minutes from Laurel Canyon or wherever she lives.

Actually a majority of it is filmed in and around Atlanta, weirdly enough.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Because even the ostensibly liberal, union-heavy film industry doesn't want to pay taxes on anything ever, so filming locations are a race to the bottom and Georgia is currently the "you can basically film for free here" state.

Louisiana flirted with it for a minute. Seattle can only support one major production at a time because we make productions pay taxes. California is really only still a filming location because of inertia.

Yeah I work in production and the tax incentive game is a shockingly huge part of production, you would think that the additional cost of transpo and housing for cast and above the line crew would negate the tax break, but it doesn't. As soon as they showed the All Valley sign without seeing the building, it was pretty obvious they weren't in LA. But they are smart and get their second unit stuff in LA to help it have more of a SoCal feel.

EDIT: clarification

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 20, 2020

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Finished the season last night, and I think it has all played out a lot like the Karate Kid movies: the first one was excellent, the second and third ones were fun but definitely not up to the level of the original.

The ending was so over the top and ridiculous that it went from stupid to great, back to stupid again. I did like seeing Johnny and Daniel finally team up though.

I am An Old so I don't really care about the kid drama, I am here for the Karate Kid stuff, so I was interested in the Johnny and Daniel story and really didn't give a poo poo about the kids and their rivalries. Also, I know Karate Kid was never a great martial arts showcase, but some of the fights this year were extra lame, especially the brawl in Daniel's house. I liked what they tried to do with the long tracking shot, but most of those kids are not strong enough fighters to sell that scene.

To that end, my favorite part was Elisabeth Shue, because she is an actual movie star and raised the level of the production all around. Just charisma for days. Also, she was my first childhood crush and she is still gorgeous and charming. Every scene with her was gold.

The KK2 stuff in Okinawa was great too, and Tamlyn Tomita was amazing in her scene with the letters. Overall, I loved all the fan service stuff and the stuff with Miguel and Johnny that felt like S1. The rival karate gangs stuff was weak, and Robbie continues to stink up the screen.

I think I can hop off the CK train here with no regrets, it was a really fun ride and came to a satisfying conclusion. That said, if there is more and its decent I could be convinced to come back.