Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Re: the defending the lovely bully behaviour chat, I'm of two minds. On one hand, giving a backstory to a cartoonish villain like Kreese works, since he's such a crazy character, it helps contextualise why he's like that and why be will never accept defeat. It doesn't excuse his actions, just helps explain them. It's a nice way to flesh out '80s Movie Villian'.

Arguably it's also the genus of the series in the first place - from the get go we are introduced to former villian Johnny in real depth, and grow to love his antics, understand his world view and forgive his lovely past behaviour.

Cobra Kai tries to excuse the villain behaviour of the the teenagers by giving them characters these backstories, both to make them more interesting and excuse their actions when drama calls for it. It partly works because they're teenagers. Though realistically I don't think Eli or Tory are really redeemable after the poo poo they've pulled, but the show does try to put them in a sympathetic light. I think bringing back the season one bullies is a way to simply have some teenage goons we can readily hate whilst the other main kids from both sides can swap allegiances when the story calls for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Also, I've never seen Karate Kid 3 - am I to assume the guy in the Vietnamese prison flashback who owes his life to Kreese is this Terry Silver character whom Kreese calls at the end of Season 3?

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Simone Magus posted:

Say "doyona" and "toyota" into a mirror. It's the same mouth movements :aaa:

I think this is a real thing lol

I didn't pay alot of attention, but I thought most of the cars in the dealership were mostly Lexus' (luxury Toyota's rebadged for Western market) in previous seasons, and this one even had a bunch of Prius' on the show floor.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

wooger posted:

They weren’t saying Toyota? Are you sure?

I binged it pretty quick, but definitely noticed then say Toyota in the Okinawa shot bits.

Would they re-dub it post release after an issue?

They definitely say Doyona. There's a Fx shot of a large building in Tokyo with it written on a tower.

I wouldn't be surprised if, as others suspected, they found they couldn't use the word Toyota and had to dub it afterwards, or otherwise they just did a soundalike anyway since it was a large plot point where they represent people from the company as characters.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 12, 2021

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Answering the question no one's really asking, looking at the snake in the dealership scene again, I'm pretty sure there's two RAV4s, a Camry and a Lexus, and I saw two Prius in an earlier scene. So all Toyota brands in the dealership this season (from my very brief look at a couple of scenes).

So, might not actually mean anything other than production realities, but it might have been intentional simply to have clearly 'Japanese' cars, or it could be a product placement thing that changed when Toyota didn't want the way their company does business being a part of the story, hence the whole Doyona thing.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

BiggerBoat posted:

Who really gives a poo poo about the cars? Near as I can tell the only thing you need to know is that there are rival dealerships and a manufacturer in Japan that needed squaring away. Fictitious brands or whatever don't really have any affect on the story.

Of course. We're just talking about it from an interesting production trivia point of view.

I don't think anyone is lamenting for a return to European cars or complaining about the inconsistencies ruining our immersion of the Karate Kid universe.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Thought that was a fantastic season. Probably one of the best since the first, given we didn't get yet another miscommunication / circumstance that rehashes the Daniel / Johnny antagonism.

Though like others mentioned, I was surprised at how abruptly and neatly everything wrapped up.

When the final showdown amounts to 'let's all get drunk and assault this guy at his house' / 'lets break into Cobra Kai HQ and steal their stuff' - these all seem like extraordinary bad ideas, the type the moral message of the show probably would usually push back on - but it pays off for them! Somehow Silver is immediately arrested, despite being home / business invaded, and it seems like everyone else gets off scott free.

I also thought it was a bit silly that the Cobra Kai members would immediately throw off their Ghis and denounce the dojo when they see Silver paying off the judge. I feel they were brainwashed enough with the spirit of strike first / no mercy that they could internalise it.

They never seemed to care about honour - and if they really did, current All Valley champion Tori could have, y'know, at any time told them the match was rigged.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I think in the Karate Kid universe your teenage years define you for the rest of your life and never leave you alone.

Hell, even Amanda this season ran into a bunch of catty women from her high school, straight out of *insert movie here*, which is rather hilarious given than canonically these women should be in what, their 50s?

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I'm curious as to where the next season can really go. With the exception of Kreese it feels like they finished up what they could have in LA with the existing characters. Presumably it will be about the international tournament, which seems like a good excuse to change up the setting by moving the cast to Japan or wherever, but that would probably need a new antagonist, or perhaps Kim and her homeland students / a bunch of kids we haven't seen before representing Cobra Kai?

Somehow Kreese will need to be involved, suspending disbelief as a fugitive on the plane or however they're going to shoe him in.

As long as the 'don't have to name the Dojo yet' comment about the tournament doesn't get Larusso and Lawrence at each other's throats again...

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Flesnolk posted:

Why is he so against it?

I'm so glad they haven't.

It's the only outstanding cultural touchstone film left from the 80's that hasn't had an awkward cashgrab attempt at a remake / reimagining / prequel / reboot /sequel reboot or whatever Hollywood knows will garner interest in name recognition to save marketing costs / effort and try and establish ongoing franchises.

You get the impression from Zemeckis that the studios are chomping at the bit for it and trying to pressure him to do it.

With a few extremely rare exceptions that have been mentioned in this thread, (and Cobra Kai of course) there have been so many that were terrible or instantly forgettable.

Hell even this franchise went through 2010's Jaden Smith 'Karate Kid' which I think the world has collectively forgotten already.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

AndyElusive posted:

Having her character shitcanned after being one of the standouts is probably my main biggest gripe with Cobra Kai.

I assumed that the actress must have wanted out for the way she was written out of the show. The way they were developing the character would have easily fit in with all the subsequent seasons, perhaps in a reduced role.

Looking at it now the official message is they didn't have a place for her in the script, and she wasn't invited back because of that - but surely there is more to it than that when many of the minor / background kids persist across seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
At least they'll be ending the series on a high note, if it maintains the quality it has been.

I'm assuming it's a more of Netflix cost cutting move than anything else, it sounds like the creators would keep it going off they had their way.