Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just started watching this and I have a very important question: does this show ever stop being about Danny's terribly-written daughter and general high school drama because I desperately want to skip every scene with that poo poo to get back to the middle aged men and their karate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One half is significantly more obnoxious than the other.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Not really, no.

But that's odd because I saw it more as Johnny's redemptive arc and square peg 80's guy on the comeback trail than I did the kids so much. To me, he was the central character and basically becomes a hero to a large extent. The daughter comes in to her own a bit more in later episodes but if you're expecting the HS stuff to just go away you might want to bail on it. The show is sort of about how toxic masculinity, bullying and bad parenting directly effect the teenage kids so high school is rather central. If you're just starting out, general consensus is that S2 isn't as good as S1 so if you're early in on it and don't like it so far you might want to check out.

You do you but I was seriously addicted to this thing once I dove in and couldn't stop watching it. "what time is it? 11:00? I can do one more episode." I didn't have any problems with the daughter character or any of the HS poo poo.

I understand what they're going for thematically, but the character writing and the plot beats involving the teens are so "I've seen this before". The thing with the daughter's former friend getting a viral video made of her at the school dance feels like it could've been in degrassi in 2008. Plus her friends are such obvious shitheads that I'm siding with the dad as he tries to control her life, which I'm pretty sure is not what the show wants me to feel. I'm probably supposed to side with the bizarrely permissive mom instead who seems to think anything short of immolating a hobo is just normal teen behavior.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I guess I wasn't expecting all this soap opera energy in a continuation to a series with very clearly defined good guys and bad guys.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

Yes, Daniel always was the bad guy; hitting on Johnny's girl, suckerpunching Johnny, trying to get him in trouble, spraying him with water for no good reason, then winning a tournament with an illegal kick to the face.

I don't think he did anything terribly egregious in KK2. KK3 though, he stole, he lied, he turned to violence to solve his problems.....

Ugh it's like I'm reading a cracked article from 2005.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Well it's canon. Cobra Kai is literally this turned into a show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Gz_iTuRMM

My dude, I just watched season 1 and even Johnny's flashback shows that he was the bad guy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lemony posted:

Johnny was definitely the "bad guy" in the first movie, with the show exploring the cycle of abuse and poor parental relationships. It works really well to show an antagonistic teenage relationship from the perspective of people who are now adults.

What I also like about the show is that, while it's clear Daniel is the hero of the film, he was also a dick. Sure, he didn't deserve to get beat near to death for pouring water of Johnny, that's clearly a disproportionate response. He was being an escalating rear end doing it though. He constantly goes out of his way to rub Johnny's face in everything, which doesn't help the situation any.

Mind you, it also feels pretty accurate to how some dumb toxic masculinity exposed teens would behave.

Edit: I should be clear, Johnny still behaves like an awful person through most of the film. He repeatedly either straight up breaks the law or behaves in a super sketchy/abusive manner. I like that they show provides more background to demonstrate that this behaviour didn't just come out of nowhere. It still doesn't change the fact that he remains responsible for his actions.

Well if you remember the movie, Daniel is stuck between either just spending his whole life running away and not getting any respect (Ali gets on his case pretty hard when he just bails from the Cobra Kai gang after like the third beatdown) or standing up for himself and getting his rear end beat nonstop. Miyagi shows him a third way, (technically fourth after going to their teacher is a bust) and he grows as a person from it. Like his goal for most of the movie is not getting beat on and humiliated every day at school, which is pretty relatable. Like with the 100 times Miyagi says karate should only be for defense, I don't think you can accuse the movie of reinforcing toxic masculinity that much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think that's an oversimplification of Daniel's behavior, at least for season 1. He only starts being a dick when Cobra Kai returns because it brings back a lot of bad memories for him, but then there is a definite shift in his attitude when he visits Miyagi's grave and dusts off his karate outfit. While he's obviously still against Cobra Kai ideologically (and he's 100% correct to be) and thus opposes Johnny in that respect, he gets a hold of his worst instincts and stops letting things get to him as much and losing his temper. He becomes blatantly more miyagi-like, especially in his relationship with Robbie, and finds his balance again. Meanwhile Johnny grows as a person but not quite enough, and Cobra Kai's values twist his students in bad directions. Ultimately season 1 ends with Cobra Kai winning the tournament but its philosophy being shown to be the wrong one, and Miyagi-do Karate winning the ideological battle instead. Sure there's still nuance in there, and I'm sure season 2 will unbalance things again to, y'know, have a continuing story, but it's clear the story isn't saying both of these guys are equally bad. They just have some of the same flaws and baggage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Also I watched all 3 karate kid movies to prepare for this show and it is hilarious how unceremoniously each of Daniel's love interests are disposed of off-screen at the start of 2 and 3 so he can have increasingly boring new romantic subplots. Ali was the only interesting one so it's good that she's still a presence in the show.

Also at the end of 2 the main rival guy just turns into a crazed suicidal murderer and has a bloody brawl with our lead, which is schlock and totally out of step for this series. There's a reason this show mostly focuses on the first one lol.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

All they really do is mention Terry Silver's name alongside Kreese's when reading off the ban decision. Which is a bit weird, since all of Terry's gross evil actions weren't things the committee should know about, but maybe he and Kreese threw a double tantrum in the parking lot after the credits started rolling and karate kicked someone's head off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SimonChris posted:

I always found it weird how the bad guys in 3 basically accomplish all of their goals, but Danny winning the final tournament on a technicality is treated as winning the movie, even though it shouldn't make much difference. I mean, how does winning that tournament prevent Silver from fulfilling his promise of building Cobra Kai dojos all over the country? They never actually expose him as a bad guy.

I guess you're right and Silver must have flipped out off-screen and done something to get Cobra Kai expelled.

Maybe Mike got pissed he didn't get paid and went public with all the dirty work Silver and Kreese had him do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It is really funny that no one in this franchise has ever gone beyond the regionals.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ilmucche posted:

The thing I didn't like in season one was that after a year (if that) of training these kids are ready to win the tournament.

Daniel-san defeated a black belt with only two months of training. Karate is magic in this universe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/tweeterisawful/status/1333747794159554563

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

UltraShame posted:

You know what happens to snitches...

THEY GET IMMUNITY!

This show is popcorn garbage absolute fun-time greatness, can't wait for the next season.

You know I don't know much about the writing process of this show, but I feel like a lot of the jokes get added to the script after it gets turned in by someone else, they feel so out of place with the tone of everything else. Like this drama karate show occasionally pauses to have Community type jokes and then continues as if nothing happened. It's not a bad thing, though. At least the jokes usually don't undercut the character moments like in bad Joss Whedon stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

It's true. He comes swinging into the bon dance like he's Scorpion or something.

The end of that movie is such a hard left turn into complete violent schlock.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Getting typecast as a high school bully and not being able to shake it for 30+ years must be awful. He's got major chops and should have been a bigger star.

Uh... have we been watching the same show?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Considering everyone else in the thread seems to agree with me I think you must not be.

I don't think he's a horrible actor but he's obviously pretty limited, which you can see in season one before the character finds his groove. Keep in mind he's playing a character that's literally written with him in mind, and then go check out anything else he's been in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5KSLda6boc

Like, he's good. He's fine. I'm glad they didn't recast him for this role. But he is not "underrated", and in my view he's had a career exactly commensurate with his range. We're not talking about Tony Todd or Jeffrey Combs here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Daniel telling his stupid daughter to stop fueling the relationship drama that's at the root of 90% of the fights in the show by constantly being in love triangles was the funniest poo poo I've ever seen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I thought it was kind of a cowardly move to make every character we care about defect from Cobra Kai(except Aisha who is just absent) and fill the ranks with season 1 bullies and nobodies so they can just be uncomplicated faceless villains. It's a little too narratively convenient compared to all the conflicting emotions and relationships that were at play in, say, the season 1 finale. I guess Robbie joining Cobra Kai is supposed to balance that out but his entire storyline felt so undercooked compared to how big a focus he was in the last two seasons. He just keeps getting angrier and angrier at everyone who cares about him even though they're all trying to help him. Like at no point does he get to express remorse for nearly killing Miguel, the only pathos he gets is getting beat up in jail. Felt a bit thin.

I also think Tory suffers from being written as too much of an rear end in a top hat. Like she spends the entire season apparently obsessed with getting revenge on Sam, but like, she already nearly killed her in a horribly brutal karate fight where she violently scarred her. How much more revenge can she possibly want? Does she just want to straight up murder her? She keeps talking about how they have to "finish this" and it's like... you did! You had a big brutal final fight that put your opponent in the hospital and then lost. You lost so bad it ruined your life. It is by definition finished.

Otherwise this was a really good season, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The silliest thing about this season is that Kreese is still a physical threat to anyone. In season 1 you got the idea that even though Larusso and Jimmy could still kick rear end, their age had caught up with them somewhat, hence why the big fights were more about the kids. But now we're at the point where karate is so magical that a 75 year old ex-hobo is still a final boss level dangerous fighter. IMO he should be more of an ideological threat, which is what he was in S2.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PeterCat posted:

I did some quick math on all this:

Miyagi 59 1984
Morita 52 1984

Machio 23 1984
Machio 60 2021

Laruso 18 1984
Laruso 55 2021

So the character of Daniel Larusso is younger than Mr. Miyagi was but Ralph Machio is older than Pat Morita was.

Plastic surgery is a hell of a drug.

This is assuming Google isn't lying to me on the character's birthdays.

Wait. He was 23 when they filmed the first Karate Kid? And his character was supposed to be 18? He looks like a skinny 14 year old!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Even better he was 28 when Karate Kid III came out (his character is supposed to be 18)but the actress who plays his love interest was only 16. Which the writers finally realized was a little creepy.

See that doesn't surprise me because he absolutely looks like a bloated 30 year old in that movie.