Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Forager is a little indie game that just came out with a pixelated artstyle in the vein of Paul Robertson with the bouncy, happy spritework(it REALLY looks like his in places but I can't find if he did actually work on it). It's a survival/crafting game where you start on one small patch of land with infinitely repopulating resource nodes, and can spend money to buy additional islands to connect to your starter island with crafted bridges. It's not exactly a "minecraft-alike", but it does have survival and crafting which then gets into economy and automation, and is like an...active idle game, if I had to pin it down as something. I don't really want to get too deep into the nuts and bolts of it since it's more fun to discover things yourself in it, but it's absolutely the sort of game that will grab you and sink its teeth into you if you're vulnerable to addictive games of this type.

Here's a quick look of it, first showing off what a new game looks like, and an early-mid game after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2suWX2dMKQ&hd=1

The developer has a roadmap built into the game as well as a bunch of neat things like a fanart gallery available from the main menu and stuff, it's pretty great. I think it's a one-man dev, and he continues to update his games after release thanks to the support he gets on patreon, which is a fairly unique thing in the games industry, I haven't heard of many games that just straight up have updates supported via patreon.

also, holy poo poo some of the puzzles in this goddamn game, ffffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
its a bit short and aimless. kinda expected there to be a reason to stripmine the entire world with lasers. a reasonably impressive result for a one-man developer but i dunno if its really worth more than $10

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was about ~50% through it when I made the thread. I enjoyed it enough to 100% it, which doesn't take very long, and the game eventually evolves from survival to straight up idle game. But yeah, there's no real "endgame" per se. No win screen or anything, you just keep going until you stop. It does get a bit hilarious once you start mass-producing/purchasing drones and you have 50+ weird(no doubt kickstarter or patreon or whatever backer) sprites flitting about the screen constantly doing everything for you. I'd definitely say grab it when it goes on sale, I'd even say 15 would be reasonable for it, but yeah 20 might be a bit much for it.

That might change depending on what he adds to the game, though. As a base product it's solid, and adding new things(or new modes) would be a welcome addition.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Invictus posted:

It does get a bit hilarious once you start mass-producing/purchasing drones and you have 50+ weird(no doubt kickstarter or patreon or whatever backer) sprites flitting about the screen constantly doing everything for you.

No kidding.... I was wondering what the gently caress this thing was floating around the screen and google says it's some $50 tier reward that let folks add a sprites into the game to replace the droid?

Like :wtc:. Why on earth would I want to have some dudes huge furry avatar hovering around me for the entire game.....? It's like what, four times the size of the player character? Pretty sure that's enough to give this game a hard pass.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Xik posted:

Pretty sure that's enough to give this game a hard pass.
I think that's a bit hyperbolic, some of them are obnoxious like that one but others are neat like a floating, glimmering golden cyber-skull, or just the standard drone sprite. The first and only one I had for a while was this flying cat thing, that was pretty great. I didn't get the furry one until like 40 in. You can attach them to factories(maybe other buildings too idk) so you can get rid of them pretty easily if you don't like a particular one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah they'll attach to any production building and raise its rate by 50%, going by the wiki.

I paid full price for this and don't regret it at all. Kind of curious about other games in this strange little genre, actually; I've always loved automation stuff like modded Minecraft, Factorio, and such, but never run into them in the context of an idle game before. Never played an idle game before, in fact!