Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zap
Jun 1, 2006
I love SumoJo.
Hi, hope everyone is doing great :) Finally breaking out of my many years of lurking here.

TLDR: Help me and some friends by filling out this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZCHZPYM

I’m working on an app with some friends to improve the way we find what movie to watch next… We’re not really sure which way to go exactly, so we’d love some input from you all.

Basically we're trying to find out, what are the major hurdles for you guys in deciding what movie to watch? For instance, if you and your best friend/partner have decided to watch a movie one evening, but it’s already time to watch it, how do you go ahead and find out which one to watch? Or do you always plan it in good time, so you have a chance to ask other friends and colleagues?

Currently our idea is something like you fire up an app, and write a short description of what sort of movie you’d enjoy right now. Like, what mood you want to be in, what you want to feel, what you want to think about, or not think about… Then a community of lovely, helpful movie lovers will have a notification ping up on their screen, and if they have an idea for a movie they can write you back. Maybe the next evening a notification will ping up on your screen, and you can feel good about recommending a great movie you’ve watched recently.

We'd be super happy if you guys would take a look at the survey. If it's too rigid or you're not in the mood for it, just putting your thoughts here in the thread instead would be a great help too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zap posted:

How do you get your movie recommendations?

The starting point is usually compiled lists of movies i.e. The 100 best whatever...but from there just reading reviews and randomly seeing other people talking about some film also leads to interesting things.

Zap posted:

How do you ask for a movie recommendation? Do you ask for a genre, actor, or something completely different?

Lately more by release year and director. Between the title, movie poster, DVD/BD art certain films just have a je ne sais quoi that piques the interest. It's really impossible to quantify.

Zap posted:

How satisfied are you with the automated movie recommendations that Netflix, HBO and other online services give you?

Not very. Netflix constantly recommends dozens of TV shows that I have no interesting in watching.