Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i made an idiot bullshit spreadsheet in numbers showed it to someone who owed me money and they paid me

best $0 i ever paid for productivity crap bundled with os x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

BONGHITZ posted:

did you have fun at apple?

apple is good. the software side is staffed mostly by grownups and the politics aren't too insane -- I was in eddy's org which gets a bad rap but it's mostly iTunes and maps that are the problem children

Bloody posted:

why does apple make a spreadsheeter

iWork started out as an acquisition, mostly to act as insurance in case microsoft ever decided to pull out of the platform. it remains today as a pleasant, free alternative to office, but there's also value in having an internally developed app that's mandated to adopt the new features and services of our software platform. we work closely with teams in craig's org to make sure the code they are pumping out is actually adoptable for third party apps, etc

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
numbers 22.28: and the lord opened the mouth of the rear end

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i like numbers better than excel

e: and keynote is so much loving better than powerpoint

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
theyre good apps, genjoe

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

graph posted:

:agreed:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the best part about keynote is its visual cues. i have to pick it up maybe 3 times a year and i can always figure out how to do a thing without having to look it up

its also stellar about importing powerpoints with about 98% functionality and look

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

with PowerPoint I see profs still taking distorted and artifacted screenshots of formulas in their lecture slides or have to deal with poo poo like missing fonts or w/e so keynote’s latex support is p appreciated

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

numbers used to be very good. then they merged it with the iOS version for some reason and it became total poo poo.

maintaining a separate version for the dying legacy desktop macos platform is overly burdensome.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

OldAlias posted:

with PowerPoint I see profs still taking distorted and artifacted screenshots of formulas in their lecture slides or have to deal with poo poo like missing fonts or w/e so keynote’s latex support is p appreciated

powerpoint got some "mostly latex" formula editor in some more recent version as well, so that but isn't too shabby anymore

powerpoint is pretty wonky and bad though, so i am very willing to belive that keynote is worlds better

excel happens to be actually good otoh.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fiedler posted:

maintaining a separate version for the dying legacy desktop macos platform is overly burdensome.

spreadsheets, definitely a thing you want to do on your mobile device rather than a desktop. let’s gently caress up the desktop version for the benefit of the three people that will use it on their iPad.

GenJoe posted:

I was in eddy's org which gets a bad rap but it's mostly iTunes and maps that are the problem children

and podcasts and iBooks and iCloud.
and the App Store until Phil took it over. dealing with the store or iCloud backend people jfc those guys are morons.

iWork is probably the best (only?) good thing to come out of the eddy cue org. #fireeddy2020

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

spreadsheets, definitely a thing you want to do on your mobile device rather than a desktop. let’s gently caress up the desktop version for the benefit of the three people that will use it on their iPad.

was the advertisement showing that future generations will only use ipads and not even know the word computer a bit too subtle?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Last Chance posted:

numbers seems snappier

how many dock icon bounces does it take to launch now?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Minnesota Mixup posted:

support for the largest known number one million (1,000,000) has been added

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkP_OGDCLY0

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

graph posted:

lol wtf

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i presume he means that less spreadsheeting in his life is better in general

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my work is about 75% spreadsheets and it sucks balls I wish I was a farmer where there are very few uses for spreadsheets

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I mean wtf do I actually need to know about array formulas? why don’t I know how to program stupid dumb gently caress databases so I don’t have to deal with these loving 50mb bloated to paralysis workbooks that barely run on our enterprise grade hardware? alsowhy is the janitoring outsourced to dipshits who don’t know gently caress about poo poo? stop giving me lovely spreadsheets. make it so spreadsheets work good or make making database so loving easy that even a non technical child or a pretend farmer could make one.

fucksake.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I mean wtf do I actually need to know about array formulas? why don’t I know how to program stupid dumb gently caress databases so I don’t have to deal with these loving 50mb bloated to paralysis workbooks that barely run on our enterprise grade hardware? alsowhy is the janitoring outsourced to dipshits who don’t know gently caress about poo poo? stop giving me lovely spreadsheets. make it so spreadsheets work good or make making database so loving easy that even a non technical child or a pretend farmer could make one.

fucksake.

how’s your farm going mate

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I would think farmers use spreadsheets more than the general population.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

El_Elegante posted:

I would think farmers use spreadsheets more than the general population.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Numbers is the only spreadsheet app I used where I could figure out how to make good looking pie charts without hitting the help menu.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
microsoft enables a cottage industry of add-ons and tutorial courses with their bull poo poo, wouldn't want to anger them

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
if you deal with spreadsheets a lot, there's a 95% chance that you can learn a bare minimum of Python to do with things in Jupyter then suddenly you get to have 3 or 4 hours extra per day to gently caress around

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Jimmy Carter posted:

if you deal with spreadsheets a lot, there's a 95% chance that you can learn a bare minimum of Python to do with things in Jupyter then suddenly you get to have 30 or 40 hours extra per week to gently caress around

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

import pandas as pd

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

there’s a real good chance I’m going to leave my python hell world to write java like an adult

maven is real good, bitch

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

also rust is cool

I’m a rustacean, motherfuckers 🦀🦀🦀

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Skim Milk posted:

there’s a real good chance I’m going to leave my python hell world to write java like an adult

lmfao

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

graph posted:

i really like that you can have separate tables on the same page and move them around and stuff rather than just have random sections of a table mean different things

idk why google or excel never stole this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pardot posted:

i really like that you can have separate tables on the same page and move them around and stuff rather than just have random sections of a table mean different things

idk why google or excel never stole this

it is a good but potentially disruptive thing, i can see established systems balking a bit at changing the way data is shown in a way that no longer visually lines up as clearly with how it is addressed.

the big thing with excel is after all that it is a level of automation that a lot of people are quickly trained to work with, including being able to pretty effectively add to a sheet even if they don't necessarily understand all the workings of what is already there.

i still think it is a good feature they should add, but arguably they can't go adding new concepts more often than once a decade or so.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Skim Milk posted:

also rust is cool

I’m a rustacean, motherfuckers 🦀🦀🦀

same

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i made my monthly budget in numbers. thanks apple

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I got fed up with my brokerage’s garbage website so I made the ultimate stock tracking spreadsheet in numbers like 10 years ago. it is still the best thing ever.

I don’t think I could have made it in the new numbers UI, though, it would have driven me mad.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

did they had any new numbers op

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

fart simpson posted:

did they had any new numbers op

I bought the 69 dlc

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

gently caress off op. Some of us actually enjoy this piece of software.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I call bullshit

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Skim Milk posted:

unironic congratulations, java and maven are both very good, particularly if you have to ever use code other idiots wrote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I think Gooogle sheets is the best spreadsheet thing for lots of what I do, putting together sizing and pricing sheets that need to be shared and collaborated on with a bunch of peeps

Excel is ok and pretty powerful but has a hideous MS interface

Numbers was nice last time I used it (like 5 years ago). keynote owns

that’s my app chat :tipshat: