Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Snowman_McK posted:

It's...fine. There's bits where the director got to do their own thing, followed by bits where the movie moves on rails towards a stock standard conclusion and fight scene. Which is especially weird, since its ending was completely ignored by the next movie anyway.

Is the heroes destroying their entire planet to beat the bad guy really common enough to be a “standard conclusion”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snowman_McK posted:

Which is especially weird, since its ending was completely ignored by the next movie anyway.

Infinity War giving Thor an eye almost right away is a pretty solid metaphor for the way the MCU team-up movies treat most character choices and development from the solo films.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is the heroes destroying their entire planet to beat the bad guy really common enough to be a “standard conclusion”?

Not specifically, no. But the hero realising that the magic was in him all along is.

However, more specifically, Thor slaughtering faceless goons then using magic and circumstance to defeat the villain (rather than defeating them himself) is how all the Thor movies have ended...so yes.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 4, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Snowman_McK posted:

Not specifically, no. But the hero realising that the magic was in him all along is.

However, more specifically, Thor slaughtering faceless goons then using magic and circumstance to defeat the villain (rather than defeating them himself) is how all the Thor movies have ended...so yes.

What movie could possibly not have a “standard conclution” by that standard?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Thor just putting his hammer on Loki's chest is one of the top moments in the MCU.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

He didn't beat the villain, he just...left.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's fine, but we need to move from beyond the notion that a movie needs to stand on its own. It's fine for a movie to rely on context.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Applewhite posted:

The Teen Titans Go feature film belongs somewhere on this list, IMO.

I laughed way too much at them fixing the timelines they messed up by cramming pearls onto Martha Wayne’s neck and shoving her into Crime Alley.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What movie could possibly not have a “standard conclution” by that standard?

Any movie where the hero defeats the villain themselves and doesn't realise that the magic was in them all along.

Not sure what percentage of film that constitutes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Snowman_McK posted:

Any movie where the hero defeats the villain themselves and doesn't realise that the magic was in them all along.

Not sure what percentage of film that constitutes.

Your definition of a nonstandard ending is one the hero just beats the bad guy with their standard direct force?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Your definition of a nonstandard ending is one the hero just beats the bad guy with their standard direct force?

No. It's not even the events of the plot that I'm referring to. You chose to make it about that and Ragnarok is standard in that regard.

It's the execution. Even the MCU films where the director's personal flair shines through, the final action scene is never that. It's just a bunch of CGI poo poo flying around that could have been directed by anyone (the actual 'anyone' is apparently the pre-vis company)

And Ragnarok is no exception. Waititi's unique style gets locked away and we get an action scene made according to some blueprint. You can have a climatic action scene that's full of story, character and directorial flair, it's just that the MCU never does.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

GigaPeon posted:

I laughed way too much at them fixing the timelines they messed up by cramming pearls onto Martha Wayne’s neck and shoving her into Crime Alley.

So many great moments in that film.

"I think his dad is a cop! Run!"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

No. It's not even the events of the plot that I'm referring to. You chose to make it about that and Ragnarok is standard in that regard.

It's the execution. Even the MCU films where the director's personal flair shines through, the final action scene is never that. It's just a bunch of CGI poo poo flying around that could have been directed by anyone (the actual 'anyone' is apparently the pre-vis company)

And Ragnarok is no exception. Waititi's unique style gets locked away and we get an action scene made according to some blueprint. You can have a climatic action scene that's full of story, character and directorial flair, it's just that the MCU never does.

The action sequence is just the expected padding because they *needed* to have it because Marvel/Disney knows that people expect that part of the formula. It's completely superfluous and accomplishes nothing besides making Thor look more like Odin. It's the whole "every Snake has to end up looking like Big Boss" thing.

The actual Waititi resolution is "yeah, we're just going to leave and let them have the planet." I just kind of ignore the action sequences, even if the first is one of the better Marvel ones and a much better version of what Guardians 2's opening was trying to accomplish.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Snowman_McK posted:

It's...fine. There's bits where the director got to do their own thing, followed by bits where the movie moves on rails towards a stock standard conclusion and fight scene. Which is especially weird, since its ending was completely ignored by the next movie anyway.

Infinity War picks up like minutes after the end of Thor 3, how is the ending completely ignored?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Papercut posted:

Infinity War picks up like minutes after the end of Thor 3, how is the ending completely ignored?

It doesn't even have the characters from Ragnarok in the opening, haha. To say nothing of character development.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Papercut posted:

Infinity War
hosed up by loving with the happy-ish ending of Ragnarok and went downhill from there.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Darko posted:

It doesn't even have the characters from Ragnarok in the opening, haha. To say nothing of character development.

I know they filmed the Captain Marvel parts of Endgame before the Captain Marvel movie. Is it possible they were shooting Infinity War stuff before Ragnarok was finalized?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

I know they filmed the Captain Marvel parts of Endgame before the Captain Marvel movie. Is it possible they were shooting Infinity War stuff before Ragnarok was finalized?

Yeah, they only got the major plot point outlines of what happened in Ragnarok. That's why you get "thor has one eye and Stormbreaker, Heimdall and Loki are still alive and Loki is friends with Thor now, they're on a spaceship," etc. They didn't get the details of characterization, or any real details about characters like Korg and Valkyrie, which is why they only appear in part 2.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's the downside of giving individual directors freedom to do what they want with their film. But then without that we wouldn't have Ragnarok.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Papercut posted:

It completely undoes the primary character arc of Ragnarok. "Are you the god of hammers" becomes "better go build another hammer," though I guess that gets hit with a technicality since it's an axe. Thor is shown as an absolutely force of nature during the bridge fight at the end of Ragnarok. If memory serves we don't even see a spark of electricity during the Thanos confrontation at the beginning of IW. His entire arc in that movie is that he simply isn't strong enough without a weapon.

Which is just like.... a complete 180 on what the entire narrative thrust of Ragnarok was

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's the downside of giving individual directors freedom to do what they want with their film. But then without that we wouldn't have Ragnarok.

:pwn:

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Tart Kitty posted:

It completely undoes the primary character arc of Ragnarok. "Are you the god of hammers" becomes "better go build another hammer," though I guess that gets hit with a technicality since it's an axe. Thor is shown as an absolutely force of nature during the bridge fight at the end of Ragnarok. If memory serves we don't even see a spark of electricity during the Thanos confrontation at the beginning of IW. His entire arc in that movie is that he simply isn't strong enough without a weapon.

Which is just like.... a complete 180 on what the entire narrative thrust of Ragnarok was

Yeah, I really did not need another fetch-quest in the middle of the 5 other fetch-quests.

Also, and I know others have said it before but the whole "Asgard is its people" *all the Asgardians die* thing really sucked.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Infinity War was godawful in so many ways but its offenses against Ragnarok are the most unforgivable.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Darko posted:

The action sequence is just the expected padding because they *needed* to have it because Marvel/Disney knows that people expect that part of the formula. It's completely superfluous and accomplishes nothing besides making Thor look more like Odin. It's the whole "every Snake has to end up looking like Big Boss" thing.

The actual Waititi resolution is "yeah, we're just going to leave and let them have the planet." I just kind of ignore the action sequences, even if the first is one of the better Marvel ones and a much better version of what Guardians 2's opening was trying to accomplish.

Even that is pretty similar to the ending of Thor 2, where they just suck Malekith back to whatever dimension. It ends up playing out like those terrible Hollywood attempts at kung fu movies where the villain is winning the final fight and someone else just shoots them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Yes